Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thinking of buying a golf cart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Thinking of buying a golf cart

Jun 5, 2020, 7:22 AM

Currently looking at Club Car for the aluminum frame. Any tips? New or used? If used anything particular to know to look out for? I know most of the refurb market ones are sold from golf courses and have a lot of use and abuse before getting dolled up to sell in the aftermarket, but is that a problem? Thanks in advance!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thinking of buying a golf cart

Jun 5, 2020, 7:51 AM

Many clubs trade their cars out with minimal hours. Some every year. Just depends on your budget. If you are using at home or at lake or beach, they should be very reliable. However, most high end clubs have electric not gas.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 8:46 AM

Good to know regarding the hours on a used one. I just assumed all used ones from a golf course had TONS of hours on them and that may be an issue. Was hoping to buy used to save some money but was worried about the number of hours on it and getting stuck replacing everything soon after buying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 7:54 AM

Yes if you are on the coast, Club Car is a great choice.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 8:27 AM

We did our research and ended up buying a refurbished EZGO from R and R in Seneca. They redo everything and you get to pick out custom seats, wheels,etc and it’s less expensive than new. I added the decals.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 8:43 AM

Looks great! Did you get Spud® to take those pics for you? lol

They were straight on my phone

Jun 5, 2020, 9:36 AM

Then Tnet turned them upside down. Kind of fitting based on the state of our world right now.

Jun 5, 2020, 8:32 AM

Had a club car I bought used in great condition. Batteries are expensive (700-850) to replace them. Watering is a bit of a pain so I recommend a watering system.

They are nice when you need/want it but if you aren’t going to use it often, I’d pass.

Jun 5, 2020, 8:57 AM

I will be using a bunch during nice weather around the neighborhood (Pool trips, after dinner cruze around the neighborhood, etc)

Jun 5, 2020, 8:44 AM

Club Car for aluminum frame is good choice, especially if you go electric. If gas, I'd look at a Yamaha. From there, it's all a matter of what your budget can take. I bought a simple electric Club Car and within a month had to get a couple repairs (speed sensor, brake sensor, some other sensor - these things have all kinds of sensors). If you get one from a reputable dealer, they should offer some type of warranty. You can get a plain model for $2500-$3000, but expect to put another $500 into it. You can get a souped up, jacked up model with sound system, etc. for over $10K.

Batteries are expensive - the good Trojan ones run close to $1k, so make sure you know what kind of life you have left on them. I like the quietness of the electric, but might go gas next time.

Jun 5, 2020, 8:54 AM

Guy I am in talks with now sells his with new Continental batteries. Not sure if they are as nice as the Trojan ones.

Jun 5, 2020, 9:09 AM

If they're new, and you keep them leveled off with water, you should get lots of use out of any brand of battery. Trojan is considered the "gold standard" for golf cart batteries, but I'm sure you won't notice much difference. Maybe 1/2 a mph or 6 months less use maybe....

Main thing is keep them charged with an automatic charger and keep the water levels right.

Jun 5, 2020, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Thinking of buying a golf cart ]

Is there a maintenance free battery for golf carts. I've used them on my boat before, because getting to the batteries to water was difficult. They're certainly more expensive, but had a 3 year warranty. Well worth it.

Jun 5, 2020, 9:44 AM

Most upper end clubs are on a 2 to 3 year lease plan and the carts have to be maintained per terms of the lease. At the end of the lease many of the fleets are then leased or sold to lower end clubs or public courses and some are sold to resellers or the public at that time. Those (single lease cycle) should be in good shape, especially if refurbished or at least gone through. The ones that go through the second lease cycle are obviously less desirable.

Message was edited by: Tiger68®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 10:55 AM

Thanks for this insight. I wondered how the industry worked. There are a handful of sellers on Facebook marketplace/Craigslist that sell refurbs that they say are in the 4-5 year old range before they refurb them and put new batteries in. Is there a way to tell how many leases a cart has been through/ Or is it just taking them for their word?

Jun 5, 2020, 9:46 AM

Where are you located?

Jun 5, 2020, 10:52 AM

In the Triangle area

If you REALLY want to get noticed...

Jun 5, 2020, 9:55 AM
JetCart.jpg(65.7 K)

We did a poor job of maintaining our batteries

Jun 5, 2020, 10:37 AM

Didn't use the golf cart but a few months out of the year on vacations. Had to replace batteries far more often than I wanted. We scrapped the golf cart and will be very hesitant to buy another. Don't follow my mistakes.

For $5,000 we could buy a used car (though not as fashionable or comfy for slow cruising).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We did a poor job of maintaining our batteries

Jun 5, 2020, 10:53 AM

thanks for the insight. I have a Noco charger to use to keep the batteries in good shape. How often did you have to change yours out?

Jun 5, 2020, 11:03 AM

Call TSA golf distributor in Augusta or Evans Ga . Ask for John or Tripp the owners. They are 1 mile from the Club Car plant and are a Club Car distributor . New , used or customized carts. Transportation Specialty Augusta

Jun 5, 2020, 11:06 AM

I appreciate it but I think that may be too long of a commute round trip from the Triangle area...Unless of course they sell them for some ridiculous deal or something.

Jun 5, 2020, 11:03 AM

Call TSA golf distributor in Augusta or Evans Ga . Ask for John or Tripp the owners. They are 1 mile from the Club Car plant and are a Club Car distributor . New , used or customized carts. Transportation Specialty Augusta

Jun 5, 2020, 5:03 PM

I have the EZGO RXV. No aluminum frame (does anyone on here have an aluminum frame on their car or truck?) but does have an AC motor (Supposed to last longer). Never had an issue, bought used and works and looks great. If you get a new one, EZGO lithium is what I’d buy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic