Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Think about this before you answer....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Think about this before you answer....

Jul 16, 2018, 11:06 AM

Can Clemson become elite in basketball under Brad Brownell?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Think about this before you answer....

Jul 16, 2018, 11:09 AM

I think we are already elite.

I’m beginning to think the OPer is not All In.***

Jul 16, 2018, 11:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I’m beginning to think the OPer is not All In.***

Jul 16, 2018, 12:22 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Think about this before you answer.... ]

Yes sir, Clemson is Elite without any sports programs!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 11:10 AM

Does it really matter who the coach is? I don’t see us becoming elite in BB under anyone

Jul 16, 2018, 1:15 PM

you cannot be a true TIGER.

I don't believe that Clemson Basketball will become

Jul 16, 2018, 11:13 AM

elite under anyone. We can become a very good team and a consistent team under Brownlee. Are there any teams that are elite in both football and basketball? I'm ok with being elite in FB and fielding good consistent team in basketball...just like USuCk is ok with being elite in equestrian.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't believe that Clemson Basketball will become

Jul 16, 2018, 11:45 AM

Are you saying that they're not elite in women's basketball? As much as I dislike them, and as much as it pains me to admit it, but I think that Dawn Staley has an elite women's basketball program at USUC!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truthfully haven't given it much thought...but I guess there

Jul 16, 2018, 12:02 PM

is an argument that they are over the last couple of years. Didn't they lose their "Michael Jordan" to graduation? We'll see if they stay near the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't believe that Clemson Basketball will become

Jul 16, 2018, 12:49 PM [ in reply to I don't believe that Clemson Basketball will become ]

Are they "elite" in equestrian? How many stars does next years recruiting class have? How about their spring intersquad horsey-thing? I just don't think we can lump them into the "elite" category without proper examination.

Yes***

Jul 16, 2018, 11:15 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^ This is the correct answer.

Jul 16, 2018, 12:14 PM

No other correct conclusion can be drawn based on the information provided.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Define elite: Can they yes, will they is the ??

Jul 16, 2018, 11:19 AM

If elite it a top 10 ranking 8 of 10 years, it will be a challenge, but possible. I think facilities and lack of talent have been major issues. The facilities upgrade is there (or as their as Clemson will get) now the talent upgrade must occur.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Define elite: Can they yes, will they is the ??

Jul 16, 2018, 11:48 AM

I think that top 10 consistently is an elite program, and a consistent top 5 program is spelled with capital letters as in, ELITE!!!

Jul 16, 2018, 11:21 AM

What is your definition of elite?? I would probably say no we can't because my definition is a top 5-8 program every year. We are that in football clearly but just can't see us being right up there with UNC, Duke, and Kentucky any time soon.

I would think BB would be taking steps to get there but we aren't even elite in our conference yet, we need to have 3 or 4 years in a row of making the tournament, having a good solid team in place before we start throwing around the word elite. Lets just root for our boys and try to show up and let everyone know we care about basketball first and the rest will be up to BB to take care of.

Jul 16, 2018, 11:52 AM

You have to also take into considerations that, for a program to get to and remain Elite, it will also have to keep and maintain Elite facilities along with an above average coach!!!

Jul 16, 2018, 11:23 AM

Perhaps becoming elitist is a better short term goal. Sweet 16 is so burgeoisie!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2018, 11:39 AM

Y E S S S S S S! ! ! ! !

Nope

Jul 16, 2018, 12:01 PM

nor under anyone else.

Jul 16, 2018, 12:09 PM

Florida was about as close a program as I can think that was borderline elite in both sports. But when I think of elite bball programs I can only come up with 3 or 4. Duke, uncheat, kansas and zona that’s proved to sustain over times.

Kinda like that fb article saying Clemson isn’t elite in fb YET. Said if we continue for another few years at our pace then we would be elite. All in your definition. Guess my answer would be no. But I do think we’ll have some good teams.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Florida was elite in both during the Billy Donovan era

Jul 16, 2018, 1:20 PM

His tenure overlapped with Spurrier and Meyer and Florida won 3 football titles and 2 basketball titles with at least one more appearance in the basketball title game in addition to some other Elite 8 appearances. That's definitely elite in both sports.

Ohio State was also close during the Tressel / Matta era, but they kept losing to Florida in both sports so they didn't quite make it to "elite" status IMO.

Nobody is elite in both right now, but Michigan State is really darn good in both. I would consider them elite in basketball and just a little bit below that in football. You also forgot Kentucky in basketball though they obviously don't have the counterpart in football.

Clemson football is already elite. You could maybe argue we aren't a blue blood yet, but Dabo has won 10+ games in 7 straight seasons, won a national title, made the playoff 3 out 4 years, and has a really impressive list of scalps outside the ACC including Saban, Meyer x2, Stoops x2, Malzahn x2, Miles, Muschamp x2 (JUST KIDDING), etc.

Re: Florida was elite in both during the Billy Donovan era

Jul 16, 2018, 3:20 PM

+1 on the response. Thanks. Yep, forgot Kentucky in b-ball and I certainly wasn’t saying that Clemson wasn’t elite and you clarified the article I was pointing too. Elite, just not a blue blood... that’s why I was stating and asking what definition was the original post defining it as.

Anyway, I don’t see us becoming an elite bball program under Brownell because to be elite we’d have to appear in several back to back final fours and play for a championship. I would love to be proven wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That will be answered in the years following the...

Jul 16, 2018, 1:36 PM

2018-2019 season.

How will things be after our two stud guards are gone?

We aren’t elite now. It’s all about progressing and not regressing. I’m very curious to see what happens in 2019 and beyond based on the success we are having now.

~JKB

unless you provide a definition of 'elite'

Jul 16, 2018, 1:36 PM

it's just a rhetorical question

if 'elite' means in the top-25 and NCAA tourney almost every year then i'd say yes

that subject has already been thought about, mused over,

Jul 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

blended together, and baked well... and the answer is still no...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe it is possible, but the AD will determine whether

Jul 19, 2018, 10:08 PM

that is a possibility.

Brownell did not get the facilities he needed until year seven. The new facilities largely happened as a result of his own efforts, not the athletic department's. And despite all that, those facilities aren't elite. Is it reasonable to expect him to make us an elite program without elite facilities?

Brownell did not get the support staff he requested until year eight. These were key staff members he had been requesting for years. He also had to scratch and claw for an increased budget for assistant coaches.

Brownell has shown an ability to overachieve big time. Recruiting has improved a lot. We had an outstanding year last year, despite losing arguably our best player halfway through the season. I believe that we will have another great year this year.

Continued improvement and success hinges on our university's willingness to provide the $$ needed. It can happen, but it will take Clemson's athletic department to make a commitment to basketball unlike we have never seen. For the first time, I believe that it could happen. DRad and the current administration seems to get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 19, 2018, 10:26 PM

Big time NO!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic