Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fascists gonna fascist
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 103
| visibility 1

Fascists gonna fascist

May 27, 2020, 2:09 PM

And yeah, this viewpoint is fascist whether he knows it is or not. Also could not care less if I'm Germaning hard here.

A quick primer for the Trumpies who are actually going to make feeble attempts to defend this:

-The First Amendment protects people from the government censoring them or infringing on their speech, press, religious, protest, petition rights. Just the government.
-You are offered no protection from a private corporation dictating content on their platforms or labeling content as it sees fit.
-When a president threatens to regulate a private corporation or shut them down over content, he is threatening the First Amendment.
-If you support this, you support the actions of a wannabe dictator and you do not support the U.S. Constitution. That makes you super duper not a conservative.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/05/27/election-fact-check-trump-twitter-mail-in-ballots/5265036002/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

did you know

May 27, 2020, 2:13 PM

that there is a Catahoula Dr near Long Creek, SC?

Drove by it the other day, did not see any dogs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: did you know

May 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

They're awesome dogs. I have a neighbor who moved from New Orleans and he has two of em.

They bark a lot like me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

I took a pic of that street sign & posted

May 27, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to did you know ]

It here 3 or 4 months ago....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice***

May 27, 2020, 2:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: did you know

May 27, 2020, 2:30 PM [ in reply to did you know ]

I know where that is. I used to live in Long Creek!

I didn't see many dogs there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s the Holiday Inn Express First Amendment guy again

May 27, 2020, 2:15 PM

Re: It’s the Holiday Inn Express First Amendment guy again

May 27, 2020, 2:19 PM

I mean, if you can somehow disprove me wrong, go ahead. But yeah, my First Amendment expertise is ####### tight on here.

This is no surprise as this is the same crowd that was screaming “unmasking is legal and done all the time” yet they couldn’t get the idea that the leaking was the felony part.

Huh wut? No. Irrelevant. Sell your red herrings elsewhere.

My point is that yes they are private and can censor. However their monopoly status can also be challenged to allow viable competitors. Many of these companies also receive federal tax breaks...public subsidy by some of these same people that they are censoring.

Who has the monopoly? Twitter? Facebook? Google? Aren't they all owned by separate entities? Don't blogs and other Internet forums exist? Who exactly do you claim to have a monopoly on the Interwebs?

And I would definitely like to know more about which of these social media outlets get federal tax breaks.

This is beyond a first amendment issue and has more to do with cornering a market and stifling viewpoints that you just disagree with.

The Internet is still open to everyone, bruh, and no one is stopping you from expressing yourself. You're proving that right now at this very moment.

May 27, 2020, 2:56 PM

It’s no red herring. It just goes to show how your side thinks. The end justifies the means. Same as the phony FISA warrants. Twitter can do this because we hate Trump and it’s not our side.

What's my side? The anti-Trump side? Because it's a big side. It's the majority of America that hates idiots, wannabe fascist dictators, and people who hate freedom and our Constitution. I like my side.

Second, you are correct about the technical First Amendment part. You are wrong about the monopoly part. Guess that wasn’t covered at the HI Express.

I know I'm right there. So I don't know why you engaged in this thread since you know I'm right. But prove to me how I'm wrong about the monopoly. Last I checked, Google and Facebook and Twitter were all separate and didn't rule the Internet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a monopoly when one--and just one--company controls a market?

Let’s see you start up Catahoula’s Rant Site and compete with Twitter. You cannot. The barriers to entry are too high and if you somehow did succeed, they would just buy you out as FB did to Insta and WhatsApp.

I'm good on that end. But I could start it up, and why would I have to compete with Twitter if I just want my own niche? I could easily start a blog right now and Twitter can't stop me. And didn't all these companies start small and build an audience? Why can't I do it?

These companies get all kinds of tax breaks from federal, state and local sources. Everything from how they are allowed to treat some income and expense items to tax breaks they receive to locate corporate buildings and data warehouses in certain states and counties.

Show me. And once you do, explain to me what that has to do with the president threatening to stifle them and their First Amendment rights.

Not once in this discussion--not once--have you denounced the president for what he said. Why? Do you support this?

unmasking is not done by Pres admins all the time

May 27, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to It’s the Holiday Inn Express First Amendment guy again ]

and not against political opponents of that said Admin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 2019 the Trump admin had 10,012 unmasking requests fulfilled.

May 27, 2020, 3:18 PM

16,721 in 2018. 9,529 in 2017. Obama admin in 2016 had 9,217.

So you’re wrong per usual, it is done all the time. And I have no idea if it’s normally done against political opponents, considering you already proved you made up your first claim, I’ll go ahead and assume you made up that claim too and have nothing to back that up with.

Flynn wasn't even masked to be unmasked

May 27, 2020, 3:22 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/flynn-s-name-was-never-masked-fbi-report-phone-call-n1212176

########***

May 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol***

May 27, 2020, 3:58 PM

being its againts the law to not have an American

May 27, 2020, 4:01 PM

citizen masked on a foreign call, its total freakin ########

From Fox News...

May 27, 2020, 4:13 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flynn-not-masked-report-on-key-calls-with-russian-ambassador

"Unmasking occurs after U.S. citizens' conversations are incidentally picked up in conversations with foreign officials who are being monitored by the intelligence community. The U.S. citizens' identities are supposed to be protected if their participation is incidental and no wrongdoing is suspected. However, officials can determine the U.S. citizens' names through a process that is supposed to safeguard their rights.

"But The Washington Post reported this week that it was the FBI, not the NSA, that wiretapped Kislyak’s phone calls and created the summary of the transcript.

According to the ODNI’s Office of Civil Liberties, Privacy and Transparency, a U.S. citizen's actual identity may be included in an intelligence report at the time it is first prepared and disseminated if such inclusion meets the agency’s minimization standard.

Former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York Andrew McCarthy told Fox News on Thursday that because the FBI regarded Flynn as a "suspected clandestine agent of Russia," the agency "could have rationalized either that Flynn's conversation with Kislyak was itself foreign intelligence information, or that, because Kislyak was an agent of Russia, knowing Flynn's identity was necessary in order to understand and assess the importance of the information about Russia's activities and intentions."

McCarthy, earlier this week, first highlighted the absence of a record showing who unmasked Flynn in connection with his conversations with Kislyak.

“There isn’t one,” McCarthy wrote in an op-ed. “I suspect that’s because Lt. Gen. Flynn’s identity was not 'masked' in the first place. Instead, his Dec. 29, 2016 call with Kislyak was likely intercepted under an intelligence program not subject to the masking rules, probably by the CIA or a friendly foreign spy service acting in a nod-and-wink arrangement with our intelligence community.”

Meanwhile, other intelligence agencies did produce reports that included information on Flynn in which his name was masked. The requests in the document declassified by Grenell would appear to refer to these reports, though it's not clear whether those involved in the requests even knew Flynn was the redacted name."

But I thought Fox only spewed right wing extremism

May 27, 2020, 6:09 PM

How would they report this?

¯\_(?)_/¯***

May 27, 2020, 6:13 PM

Thank you for proving my point from above

May 27, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to In 2019 the Trump admin had 10,012 unmasking requests fulfilled. ]

Didn’t say I agree with it or disagree with it, or that

May 27, 2020, 3:53 PM

nothing wrong was done. Just saying it happens all the time, contrary to what he posted. Go whine about how Twitter is mean to your team.

I think he meant to post it under xtiger's post

May 27, 2020, 3:56 PM

it wouldn't make sense to post it under yours since xtiger is the one taking issue with masking/unmasking.

lol, so who unmasked?

May 27, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to In 2019 the Trump admin had 10,012 unmasking requests fulfilled. ]

give me names of Pence unmasking? or Trump CoS?

there is a HUGEEEEE difference b/w say the VP or CoS

May 27, 2020, 3:33 PM

unmasking vs say the CIA? NSA? FBI?

Please be supplying names of who unmasked.
But maybe I'm totally wrong here.

And if so, are you full game on unmasking Biden calls? Please to be responding.... I'l be waiting

You said “Presidential admins”

May 27, 2020, 3:57 PM

I don’t care enough to look at how many of those ~50k were unmasked by VPs or CoS. You can do that and report back

cia is not the Pres. admin. good grief***

May 27, 2020, 4:00 PM

Re: Fascists gonna fascist

May 27, 2020, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooo, a little "whataboutism" to deflect.

May 27, 2020, 2:51 PM

Some tu quo que for dat ###.

So, do you support Trump on this?

He's saying that when one starts throwing words

May 27, 2020, 3:36 PM

like fascist around one has to have a consistent application of that word. Calling out partisan driven hypocrisy is not whatabout.

Telling people they can't leave their homes, or that they can go to Home Depot and by nails but not paint, is not labled as fascism. Talking about regulating a monopoly, or an organization that on one hand says they are not responsible for content but on the other controls views are allowed and which not - but not yet acting on any of that conversation - that is labeled as fascism. That governor who says you can't buy paint (or was it flowers)? She has that power because the president you call fascist left that power to the states rather than controlling it from the feds. Yet you call him fascist. That is hypocrisy.

I do not think you are a hypocritical person. You raise a good point to discuss, but in your anger you out kicked your coverage. When people stop talking about ideas and start labeling people, that is what happens. Adults talk about ideas, kids talk about people.

Nooooooo.

May 27, 2020, 5:15 PM

When someone brings up a topic and criticizes a public official, and then someone tries to dodge it by saying, "but what about" and throws in a perceived other side like it's a political football game, that's the tu quoque fallacy. Thus, their argument is negated.

And no, the Michigan governor's action isn't anywhere in the ballpark of the President of the United States threatening to subvert the First Amendment by shutting down social media.

I'm not a Democrat, so you can kindly stow that "you're a hypocrite if you don't call them out" ####. I do that plenty. And if talking about our president making stupid, authoritarian statements makes me a kid, well, let's just say your opinion there doesn't really hold much weight.

“I’m not a Democrat”

May 27, 2020, 5:22 PM

Okay. Prove it.

May 27, 2020, 5:31 PM

What ideology do I believe in that supports the Democratic Party?

I've asked you that before and you intentionally dodged the question. If you do it a second time, everyone will see it.

I don’t dodge anything

May 27, 2020, 5:42 PM

Re: I don’t dodge anything

May 27, 2020, 5:45 PM

Buddy, I have supported several things that are considered conservative, especially fiscal conservatism and a literal interpretation of the Constitution. The GOP has abandoned core conservatism in favor of Trumpism. You continue to echo his ideology, which isn't conservative.

Either produce a list of my ideological beliefs that mesh with the Democratic party or kindly GTFO of the thread.

Okay buddy

May 27, 2020, 6:02 PM

See if you can wrap your head around this.

May 27, 2020, 6:09 PM

Not everyone in America is a Republican or a Democrat. Some people think both parties have been failures. It's not that you don't want to dig through my posts. You just don't want to make a baseless assumption. And the only reason you made that assumption is because I oppose Trump, and you still embrace the fallacy that anyone who opposes him is a Dem or a liberal.

That's lazy personal ideology.

Manual edit

May 27, 2020, 6:12 PM

Should read "You just don't want to admit you made a baseless assumption."

I'm not good with phone typing.

Re: See if you can wrap your head around this.

May 27, 2020, 6:17 PM [ in reply to See if you can wrap your head around this. ]

May 27, 2020, 6:19 PM

Not everyone that supports Trump's policies worships him personally.

Then stop defending his every move or statement.

You ask how I can support him with the Twitter thing. Anyone that is unbiased and uses a little common sense can see that Twitter's arbitrary "fact checking" and shadow banning is just wrong. These people are not violating their TOS. They are just expressing different points of view. What does violate the TOS is the many personal attacks and threats from the lefties on there. Nothing is done about that.

But if you agree with Trump's threat, you are supporting the U.S. government squelching the First Amendment freedoms of private citizens. How, in the name of all that is 'Murica, can you support it?

Twitter is a private company. They can set their own TOS and regulate them as they see fit. How on earth can you call yourself a conservative who supports the Constitution if you support our government regulating or putting an end to that?

May 27, 2020, 6:32 PM

So what are your takes on GOP radio...?***

May 27, 2020, 8:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So what are your takes on GOP radio...?***

May 27, 2020, 8:32 PM

May 27, 2020, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: See if you can wrap your head around this. ]

Twitter and Facebook are competitors.

There. Your monopoly argument destroyed.

Explain why our government should regulate content on Twitter. Don't use the Monopoly argument. Do not pass GO.

They’re not competitors

May 27, 2020, 8:58 PM

Re: They’re not competitors

May 27, 2020, 9:12 PM

They're competitors. They're separate companies. They're also web-based, which is a platform where you or I can start something similar and they can't stop us. Hence, not a monopoly.

Just admit you want the government to suppress viewpoints you don't like on Twitter and Facebook.

May 27, 2020, 9:19 PM

May 27, 2020, 9:26 PM

Sure it can be done, and we can easily secure local advertisers. Or even national ones. Facebook isn't buying out Tigernet, right? This site thrives.

And if they buy us out, so what? Isn't that capitalism? Didn't you and I just achieve the American dream?

And conservatives have just as much of a stranglehold--if not moreso--on multimedia consumption. We could argue Clear Channel monopolizes radio and stifles leftist views, artists, talk shows, etc., but that's still First Amendment protected.

May 27, 2020, 9:38 PM

Its not a matter of disagreement

May 28, 2020, 7:53 AM

It's a matter of fact. Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. are not monopolies. They do not fit the definition of one, and you can't provide a definition of one that works in this case.

This was very telling...

May 27, 2020, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: See if you can wrap your head around this. ]

"However, I anxiously await and will keep my eyes open for your future posts supporting Republicans and/or Conservatives. TIA for your support."

You think in terms of people and not ideas/ideals. That is all too common right now and one of the reasons so many people are in love with President Trump, all the while often going against positions they would agree with if written on a piece of paper.

You know you operate on a shallow level when you....

May 27, 2020, 9:57 PM [ in reply to “I’m not a Democrat” ]

think anyone that criticizes Trump is a Democrat. Next you'll be calling me one....LOL.

You're way off on this one buddy.

Pretty sure Cata would consider his political leanings more to the conservative/libertarian side.

Re: You know you operate on a shallow level when you....

May 27, 2020, 10:02 PM

I don't speak on behalf of Republicans...

May 28, 2020, 8:00 AM

The same way I don't speak on behalf of Democrats. I think both parties are absurd. I just think the Democrats embrace more blunders and incompetency whereas lately the GOP has embraced something far more sinister.

You don't embrace conservative ideology, so you really don't know what I speak for when it comes to that.

I often take the Chris Rock approach.

May 28, 2020, 7:53 AM [ in reply to You know you operate on a shallow level when you.... ]

There's #### I'm liberal about. There's #### I'm conservative about.

Oh yes indeed. I didnt ask you to call out anything

May 27, 2020, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Nooooooo. ]

or anyone. I said since you were the one who came on the board with a heart rate of 170 and calling people names, and since fascism is exhibited by the left as much as the right, noticing the hypocrisy of throwing that word around is valid. I dont have the list of latin fallacy names taped to the wall beside my computer, as you do, so maybe you can help with this: what did the latins call it when someone claims an argument is "negated", when no argument was proposed?

Oh, and yes, actually suspending a state's 1st Amendment rights is a lot more dangerous that threatening to. There's not even a discussion there. I'll say that another way: The Czarina actually suspended a populations' basic rights. Trump hasn't done anything like that.

I have seen many of your posts now

May 27, 2020, 11:46 PM

Thank you very much. Though I admit I sometimes let my

May 28, 2020, 12:09 AM

emotions get ahead of reasoning, same as anybody else. Thank you for keeping a resistance going.

We had eight years of a president who bragged about being broke, and flamed the "wealth inequity" class war at every opportunity, then left office with unimaginable wealth. He owns more in real estate alone than most 20 people make in a combined lifetime. In eight years. Almost no charitable giving. And by the time he left he had activated people within the national police to act against private individuals to keep one party in power. None of that is debatable. He is a too-cool-for-school phony.

The timing of the virus, the source of it, and the secrecy of its beginning are, taken together, too much of a coincidence to be believed. Then an entire party adopts the "lockdown" mantra, though no science supports it, actually calling for and getting the suspension of our most basic human rights, a tyranny that is continuing long after even the ostensible but false justification for it has passed. And to do all this they had to bankrupt who knows how many 10's of thousands.

We can't let this go. I don't know how we keep the message of liberty alive, or how we get to the bottom of this. But we have to.

I will say this: Most of the country is sick of that crap too, and Trump could walk backward into the next election, except that socially he is a brain dead narcissist who gets himself into losing pissing matches with 24 year old social media nerds. I love what he did with China, I love his pragmatic approach to the mid east, I love his America First way of looking at international decisions. But I swear I could slap him upside the head sometimes.

Again, thank you for your voice. Don't give up.

Re: Thank you very much. Though I admit I sometimes let my

May 28, 2020, 7:58 AM

We can't let this go. I don't know how we keep the message of liberty alive, or how we get to the bottom of this. But we have to.

Neither of you should preach about liberty when you're giving Trump a pass for threatening to curb First Amendment rights.

Don't worry...I'd never cheat on you Cata***

May 28, 2020, 3:48 PM

Real quick

May 28, 2020, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Oh yes indeed. I didnt ask you to call out anything ]

-Called Trump a fascist. Didn't call anyone else here one. If calling the president a name upsets you, check your adoration.
-"Since fascism is exhibited by the left..." Ah, more tu quoque instead of addressing Trump's idiocy. And no, not by political definition they haven't.
-You have Google to look up the phrases if you need help.
-The post was about Trump and only Trump. The only appropriate response was whether or not you agreed with him. Diving into "what about" is de facto support of his statement.

Oh, and side note...

May 27, 2020, 5:16 PM [ in reply to He's saying that when one starts throwing words ]

Unless you post otherwise, your response will be considered a de facto defense of the president, which is inexcusable.

I couldn't help but think of Trump and his supporters when

May 27, 2020, 5:57 PM [ in reply to He's saying that when one starts throwing words ]

I read your last sentence.

I do not know if you are a hypocritical person, but the evidence does suggest you are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a snowflake***

Liars despise facts and truth.

May 27, 2020, 2:30 PM

Fact checkers and truth tellers reduce the space that he needs to operate in, which frustrates him as he knows only one way to operate.

^^^talk about lying^^^***

May 27, 2020, 3:59 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Trump has turned the left into the...

May 27, 2020, 3:22 PM

deregulation warriors.

Are you ready to deregulate steel manufacturing, oil and coal production and emission controls on automobiles or do you just pick and choose what to allow what business to operate without regulations? My money is on 'If Trump is for it we're against it but if Trump is against it we're all in.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Red herring is the catch of the day. Market price.

May 27, 2020, 5:07 PM

Why are you dodging this? Do you support Trump's statement?

Do you support regulations or not?

May 27, 2020, 5:29 PM

Yes, if Facebook, Youtube and twitter are going to continue to enjoy their tax cutout granted by our federal government then they submit to obeying regulations.

Elections have consequences. Back of the bus for you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't, actually...

May 27, 2020, 5:33 PM

In the vast majority of situations. I know you do because you're a Trumpie.

Stop dodging the question. Your post was irrelevant and a red herring. Stop trying to change the subject and address it.

Do you agree with Trump's statement or not? It's a simple yes or no.

Yes, I believe twitter, youtube and facebook should be...

May 27, 2020, 5:38 PM

regulated. Neither is a news source.

They're private companies that offer an outlet...

May 27, 2020, 5:40 PM

For public expression. Thus, if you wish them to be regulated, you do not support the First Amendment or the Constitution. But that is on-brand for Trumpism. His whole ideology rejects our Constitution.

And you're both wrong, thankfully, and no Supreme Court will ever allow it.

Yeah, I got that from the OP.

May 27, 2020, 5:59 PM

How about this, Cat?

"YouTube is deleting comments with two phrases that insult China’s Communist Party"

YouTube is automatically deleting comments that contain certain Chinese-language phrases related to criticism of the country’s ruling Communist Party (CCP). The company confirmed to The Verge this was happening in error and that it’s working to fix the issue.

“Upon review by our teams, we have confirmed this was an error in our enforcement systems and we are working to fix it as quickly as possible,” said a YouTube spokesperson. The company did not elaborate on how or why this error came to be, but said it was not the result of any change in its moderation policy.

But if the deletions are the result of a simple mistake, then it’s one that’s gone unnoticed for six months. The Verge found evidence that comments were being deleted as early as October 2019, when the issue was raised on YouTube’s official help pages and multiple users confirmed that they had experienced the same problem.

Comments left under videos or in live streams that contain the words “??” (“communist bandit”) or “??” (“50-cent party”) are automatically deleted in around 15 seconds, though their English language translations and Romanized Pinyin equivalents are not.

The term “??” is an insult that dates back to China’s Nationalist government, while “??,” (or “wu mao”) is a derogatory slang term for internet users paid to direct online discussion away from criticism of the CCP. The name comes from claims that such commenters are paid 50 Chinese cents per post.

These phrases seem to have been accidentally added to YouTube’s comment filters, which automatically remove spam and offensive text. The comments are removed too quickly for human moderation and are deleted even if the banned phrases are used positively (e.g., “The ?? are doing a fantastic job”). YouTube says it’s been relying more on its automated filters in recent months due changes to its workforce brought about by the pandemic.

YOUTUBE HAS BEEN BANNED IN CHINA FOR YEARS, MAKING THE ACCIDENTAL CENSORSHIP MORE PUZZLING
The accidental censorship is even more puzzling considering that YouTube is currently blocked in China, giving its parent company, Google, even less reason to censor comments critical of the CCP or apply moderation systems in accordance with Chinese censorship laws.

The automatic deletion of these phrases was highlighted on Tuesday by US technologist and former Oculus founder Palmer Luckey on Twitter. But earlier reports of the issue date back to the middle of May when they were spotted by human rights activist Jennifer Zeng. As mentioned above, though, The Verge also found complaints on YouTube’s official help pages dated to October 2019."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270290/youtube-deleting-comments-censorship-chinese-communist-party-ccp

So...

May 27, 2020, 6:11 PM

You're justifying your call for private forum expression to be regulated by the government, thus violating the First Amendment, by giving examples of China and YouTube?

Cata, what do you know about the First Amendment anyway?

May 27, 2020, 3:36 PM

You think you're a journalist or something?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just kinda graspin' at straws.***

May 27, 2020, 5:07 PM

Hypothetical question......

May 27, 2020, 3:45 PM

no gotcha, and pretty tangential to your topic....just got me thinking....

Would any of this change if Internet became a regulated public utility? Would private corporations whose core business traversed that public utility, retain the discretion of what could be said and who could say it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends what you mean by "regulate the internet."

May 27, 2020, 4:28 PM

If you mean regulating ISPs and reclassifying them as a common carrier, like the FCC briefly did to enforce net neutrality, then that's one thing. If you're talking about regulating the actual content providers like Netflix or social media like Facebook and Twitter, that's something else.

Message was edited by: Murcielago®

But maybe they could. Back when net neutrality was a great

May 27, 2020, 4:51 PM

thing, we saw that bringing the infrastructure under the feds (not saying I want that) is a thing that can be done, so could happen again. If that happens, I am pretty sure that content can be regulated by the same reasoning content on airwaves can be regulated. It basically has not been regulated since forever, but requiring equal time for different views would be something they could and would do.

IMO, we have lost the desire for a federalist government. We instead want the feds to be heavy handed when they are doing what we want, and we want to holler 'fascist' when they are doing something else. Its basically all or nothing - individual freedom or tyranny - but no one wants to admit to that. Feels scary.

I think that's a fantastic question.

May 27, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Hypothetical question...... ]

And one I don't know the answer to. I would have a hard time imagining the Internet could remain what it is today if a utility, or at least it creates some interesting First Amendment conundrums.

May 27, 2020, 3:46 PM

Well they hired a bunch of loony liberals to police this whole fact check thing.

Check out the new head of site integrity. No bias there!

https://twitter.com/votenickmoutos/status/1265551965070798854?s=20

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

holy political bs batman***

May 27, 2020, 4:03 PM

May 27, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Fascists gonna fascist ]

So you agree with what Trump said?

May 27, 2020, 3:46 PM

Here is another one! Now along with fat shaming, we can call people #### and trannys!

https://twitter.com/JMartin1115/status/1265636190222520331?s=20

May 27, 2020, 3:50 PM

Also, aren't you for lockdowns nationwide? You said that anyone who was protesting these lockdowns were complete idiots.

Who's the fascist?

Nope. Sorry. Never called for that.

May 27, 2020, 5:10 PM

And I said anyone marching on a statehouse with an assault rifle thinking they have somehow had their freedoms taken away is an idiot.

May 27, 2020, 3:59 PM

fascists normally dont ask for governors to reopen their states, real head scratcher

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They sure do wish to squelch public expression...

May 27, 2020, 5:10 PM

With the might of the government, don't they?

Re: They sure do wish to squelch public expression...

May 27, 2020, 5:21 PM

the story sounded like trump was trying to increase public expression

go figure

By shutting down and/or regulating social media? Right.***

May 27, 2020, 5:33 PM

Re: By shutting down and/or regulating social media? Right.***

May 27, 2020, 5:49 PM

by allowing both points of view, correct

Private company. Private platform.

May 27, 2020, 5:58 PM

No one can call for the government to regulate that content and call himself a conservative.

Re: Private company. Private platform.

May 27, 2020, 6:02 PM

so he issued an empty threat and liberals heads went to spinning

sounds like wednesday

He called for government regulation of private companies...

May 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

Isn't that liberal?

Sounds like you've got your political ideology mixed up. Especially since you're defending what he called for.

Re: He called for government regulation of private companies...

May 27, 2020, 6:13 PM

you have to watch what he does instead of what he says, just like that dog eatin kenyan bastid

When he says this stupid stuff...

May 27, 2020, 6:21 PM

People who don't understand our Constitution rally behind him and call for it to happen. You and others in this thread are proving that.

Re: When he says this stupid stuff...

May 27, 2020, 6:27 PM

i stand with trump, warts and all

no point getting upset over something that he cannot do by himself

Re: He called for government regulation of private companies...

May 27, 2020, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: He called for government regulation of private companies... ]

You're a horrible human being.

This isn't about the first amendment

May 28, 2020, 8:38 AM

This is about Twitters protected status as a third party content platform and not a member of the media that is able to control what can and cannot be seen through their platform.

Hope that helps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

it won't***

May 28, 2020, 8:54 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Catahoula doesn't like facts

May 28, 2020, 8:56 AM

To be honest, most ignorant people don't

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Anyone who thinks...

May 28, 2020, 3:39 PM

A president threatening a private company that operates as a platform for self expression and sharing ideas or opinions isn't about the First Amendment may be the most ignorant and dumbest person this board.

Hold up...

May 28, 2020, 3:38 PM [ in reply to This isn't about the first amendment ]

The president threatening to regulate a social media platform--which is used for self expression--or threatening to shut it down isn't about the First Amendment? The government threatening to shut down a private entity that operates as a forum for expression isn't about the First Amendment?

You don't understand the Constitution or civics. Hope that helps.

Will you hold a seminar for us at your Holiday Inn Express?***

May 28, 2020, 3:44 PM

Gotta be a Zoom meeting.

May 28, 2020, 4:44 PM

Low introductory price of $149 per hour. BYOB.

Replies: 103
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic