Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jet Sweep and Bubble Screens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,363

Jet Sweep and Bubble Screens

Sep 7, 2016, 9:08 AM

Did anyone else feel like the lack of these quick hit plays was a crucial aspect of why our offense slowed down Saturday?

I'm sure there's a reason that we did shy away from it (probably because Auburn couldn't defend Williams downfield and Gallman was averaging 4.1 per carry) but I feel like what really opens our offense up is getting the ball to our embarrassment of riches at the skill positions with space to make a man miss. It ups our tempo and keeps the corners honest (and if they start missing it even makes the safety bite).

I'm worried that because we have the talent we do on offense, that we'll get one dimensional in the passing game because we're confident we can beat secondaries downfield. It seems to me like we could cut our run plays by 6-8 (we had 44) and really start to up the tempo and keep ourselves in short yardage situations.

On the positive side of that, the quick pitch play is awesome. It gets Wayne into space fast and worked all night. Similar objective as the jet sweep and bubble screens, but gets another playmaker involved. Just wish we'd implement all of the above more often!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jet Sweep and Bubble Screens

Sep 7, 2016, 9:13 AM

Scott lined up in position for a sweep a couple times but I'm not sure if it wasn't run because the defense was lined up to stop it each time or the defense didn't worry about it because it was never run.

null

Sep 7, 2016, 9:17 AM

Actually I think I saw Ray Ray run the jet sweep once. But that is all the entire night. It amazed me that Steele has no clue how to defend the jet sweep, and we chose not to execute that weapon.

They were pressing DB's most of the night

Sep 7, 2016, 9:16 AM

So a bubble screen in that coverage is a quick and sure way to give up a pick six.

Re: They were pressing DB's most of the night

Sep 7, 2016, 10:15 AM

TU for actual footsball knowledge!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were pressing DB's most of the night

Sep 7, 2016, 10:21 AM [ in reply to They were pressing DB's most of the night ]

Watching the replay, you're right. About 80% of the time they're pressing (except Renfrow). Still seems like the jet sweep would cause some confusion.

Sep 7, 2016, 9:16 AM

I thought that those were the plays Auburn was planning for.

Sep 7, 2016, 9:24 AM

Right, like I said I'm sure there is a reason for it. I think we threw one bubble screen and I don't remember any jet sweeps.

Just seems like if they're keying on those plays we would at least pump the throw or put the WR in motion across the formation more often to make them bite on it.

Re: Is that you Rob Spence? Bubble screen in press coverage

Sep 7, 2016, 9:18 AM

is a sure-fire recipe to give up a pick six, btw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,363
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic