Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Tigers living in West Columbia/Lexington?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Any Tigers living in West Columbia/Lexington?

Jul 3, 2013, 7:01 PM

Thoughts? Like it? Love it? Hate it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Life long Lexington resident

Jul 3, 2013, 7:07 PM

As soon as my youngest graduates from high school I am moving to the sticks. I have even threatened to have the Uhaul hooked to the truck AT graduation.

Traffic was horrible 10 years ago and they have done nothing to make it better.

Lex District 1 schools are great, and is the only reason I am sticking it out.

More people good for business then?***

Jul 3, 2013, 7:28 PM

Depends

Jul 3, 2013, 7:35 PM

Location is going to be key, as is the type of business. There are certain locations in Lexington where I think a business would fail even if they had daily BOGO deals simply because it is impossible to get in and out.

Re: Depends

Jul 3, 2013, 7:37 PM

I have family that lives off of Platt Springs Rd. and it is a race track ever since it went to a four lane road a couple of years ago.

Re: Any Tigers living in West Columbia/Lexington?

Jul 3, 2013, 7:53 PM

Yep, Lived here most of my life. Hate the chickens but love the area. Questions?

Looking into maybe a move but just curious why you

Jul 4, 2013, 2:10 AM

Love it?

Jul 3, 2013, 7:56 PM

We live in Gilbert love it.

They have internet in Gilbert now. Movin' on up!***

Jul 3, 2013, 8:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: They have internet in Gilbert now. Movin' on up!***

Jul 3, 2013, 8:36 PM

Hey I live in Gilbert too. Don't diss. Gilbert is nice and quiet.

Jul 3, 2013, 9:08 PM

We also live in Gilbert and love it. Very small town community but we're only 15 minutes from Lexington and 25 from Columbia. The only bad thing is the number of gamecocks around here.

Jul 3, 2013, 10:42 PM [ in reply to They have internet in Gilbert now. Movin' on up!*** ]

The only thing Gilbert needs is a football team.

If you're gonna live anywhere near Columbia....

Jul 3, 2013, 8:10 PM

....Lexington is probably the best place to be.

Clean, nice people. Great schools. Decent shopping/restaurants. Lake Murray is awesome too.

A good population of Clemson fans/grads. Overall, a good community to live in. Not that trashy feel you get as you get closer to Columbia & USC.

The traffic, summer heat, and ever-present USC fans are some of the cons of living here though. Another beef I have is lack of local trails or parks.

While growing up in God's country in the Upstate, I swore the midlands would be the last place in the world I would ever live. God had other plans though, putting a Lexington girl in my life who I failed to uproot from her home. So here I am 23 years later still living in Lexington, but overall I'd say it's been better than I expected.

yet, but they have more than their share of crooked

Jul 3, 2013, 8:26 PM

pols

Thought about that too.....

Jul 3, 2013, 8:36 PM

....but didn't want to get started. My post would've tripled in length.

Re: If you're gonna live anywhere near Columbia....

Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 PM [ in reply to If you're gonna live anywhere near Columbia.... ]

Sorry 88, but I for one disagree. God's country is on the northwest side in Ballantine and chapin. Besides, there is a WAY better mix of tigers to ##### over here!

Lived in Lexington 16 yrs.

Jul 3, 2013, 8:35 PM

Lexington is old money. But overall its not bad. HWY 1 and 378 is a cluster freak. Clemson Tigers should unite for the 4th. Any takers?

Yep everything in Lexington is on either Hwy 1 or Hwy 378. Do

Jul 3, 2013, 8:56 PM

not try to go anywhere between 4:30-6. Dist 1 schools are excellent though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I grew up in Lexington. There are a ton of Clemson fans

Jul 3, 2013, 8:37 PM

there.

When I graduated from high school more people went to Clemson from my class than USuC.

There's something in these hills.

Lived there 15 years. Nice place, but bad traffic.***

Jul 3, 2013, 8:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2013, 9:05 PM

Grew up in Irmo after college moved back lived in Lexington and now live right off 1 off a road named Kitty Wake. Areas not bad close enough to the interstate. Also if you got kids the school systems over here aren't that bad. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. This is coming from a guy that's 28 so it depends what you like doing. Downtown is a little far cab ride it is like $30 to the Vista. Like I said ask questions and will be glad to answer.

Re: if schools are any concern

Jul 3, 2013, 9:07 PM

Go lexington rather than west columbia. I taught in lexington 2 for a few years. Lex 1 is better. IMO, i like the ballentine area better.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

yep.......irmo ballentine***

Jul 3, 2013, 10:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been in the Columbia area for 40+ years, primarily

Jul 3, 2013, 9:45 PM

on Lake Murray in the Irmo/Chapin locale but have conducted business in Lexington and West Columbia. My son and his family were on the lake in the Lexington area and loved it, mainly due to the schools and shopping. I've preferred the northwestern area due to easier access to the interstates and the Harbison corridor, which is easily reached from my home near the Lake Murray D@m.

However, the Lexington/Gilbert areas are nice, as are parts of West Columbia. If you're planning on relocating, I'd suggest spending a day or so travelling the areas, watching traffic, etc. closely. There are, also, fairly nice homes along that side of the lake, and you would definitely like some of the school districts there, particularly Lexington District 1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lexington/Richland 5 School District is what you want.***

Jul 3, 2013, 10:27 PM

I agree, although I'm partial to the area. A former

Jul 3, 2013, 10:38 PM

classmate from my hometown high school has been a member of the District 5 Board for a long time, although they've had their share of controversy. Since I no longer have to worry about school matters, I like the fact that we have two of the best marinas and restaurant/entertainment venues on this side of the lake: The Lighthouse and the Liberty at Marina Bay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2013, 9:47 PM

Lived here 4 years and we have a successful business in West Columbia. What is it you do?

Jul 3, 2013, 10:07 PM

I live on lake Murray in Ballantine great place to live and raise kids. Some of the best schools in sc. Love the lake life you just have to dodge the chicken #### almost every day. It's only been bad the last 4 years but that's changing soon. If they are losing you can't find them . This area is really good. Not Clemson but it will do.
Being 2 hours from the beach or mountains rocks. You just have to wear your orange proud and laugh at their stupidity . GO TIGERS.

Cayce/west Columbia/town of Lexington....

Jul 3, 2013, 10:12 PM

are the most cootiest places in the Cootlumbia area

Re: Cayce/west Columbia/town of Lexington....

Jul 3, 2013, 10:18 PM

really? more coot infested than dtown columbia?

I would rank Cayce as the most cootish, with West Cola and

Jul 3, 2013, 10:50 PM

downtown Cola tied for 2nd not too close behind, with the city of Lexington as a distant 4th in this mix. Outside of its heavily congested major traffic arteries, Lexington has a nice rural quality to it still and is a little further west on the map than the rest, so its closer proximity to God's Country, albeit slight, does seem to have a fairly positive effect compared to the rest.

Coots aren't bad people really, just misguided, rootless, clingy, desperate, lacking socially redeeming values - that kind of thing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PS. Do not go down town cola it sucks really bad***

Jul 3, 2013, 10:16 PM

Jul 3, 2013, 10:17 PM

To echo alot of the other sentiments expressed on this thread:

Great Schools, bad traffic is kind of an unofficial motto of Lexington. The traffic has been bad for 10 years but nothing has been done to fix it. The town doesn't seem to care about it, which is frustrating. One of the main corriders (Hwy 1) drops 2 lanes as you get close to town which causes an absolute cluster at rush hour.

Homes are cheaper here than Columbia and property taxes are much lower, which has caused alot of the growth.

My two cents, I live near Lex High. If you're going to work in Cola, I would move further in. I have a 15 mile commute to work and it takes me 30-35 minutes because of the traffic.

Lexington won't expand the roads because it would cost

Jul 3, 2013, 10:55 PM

money, and if there's a bigger tax-hating crowd in the omniverse than Lexington, SC I'd like to meet them. Also helps explain the dearth of public parks and recreation in the area. On the other side though, property taxes are very decent and they've mostly held off on "penny" sales tax increases on everything, as if anything in this world costs $1.00 anymore to only have to pay a penny extra.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2013, 10:17 PM

Hate it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to Irmo.***

Jul 3, 2013, 10:21 PM

Not anymore. Irmo is slowly turning into ghetto like

Jul 4, 2013, 10:45 AM

St. Andrews

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2013, 10:10 AM

There are Tiger's all over the Columbia metro area. It's a wonderful place to raise a family.

Hey Daredevil - are you planning to open a business in Lex?

Jul 4, 2013, 11:00 AM

One of your comments sounded like you may be planning to open a business in Lexington. I'm a 20 year resident and also grew up in West Columbia before moving to Lexington. I work in real estate - don't sell it - but my work requires study of demographics and trends.

Just a couple of thoughts from me:

Lexington is going to continue to be one of the fastest growing counties in the state for the foreseeable future. I think only Beaufort County was outgrowing Lexington County prior to the real estate bubble and that may have changed in the last few years with Lexington now on top.

The schools in Lexington County, particularly District 1 and District 5, are always ranked at or near the top in the state and this, along with Lake Murray, is the major attraction for people moving to Lexington. Lexington 1 is the area around the town of Lexington and District 5 is the Dutch Fork area north of Irmo. Lexington 1 is opening a new high school this year, River Bluff High School, and it has a campus that will rival any small college.

River Bluff High School, in addition to the amazing facilities (take a look at the pics on their website), will have a different learning environment and class scheduling will be similar to college class scheduling. Teachers will have offices and not designated classrooms, the school has no lockers (ipads instead) and the lunch room will be open for something like 4 hours as kids will be lunching at various times. A lot more responsibility will be given to the student and it will be heavily focused in the arts; there are families I know that are moving from one part of Lexington to another just so their kid can attend River Bluff instead of Lexington High.

I think the politics in Lexington will be changing going forward as Jake Knotts finally got booted and a more liberal minded councilwoman took his place. I'm neither strictly liberal or conservative but I mention the changing of politics because I think a 1 cent sales tax will eventually get voted in as it was just recently voted in over in Richland County. What this means is the traffic situation everyone is complaining about in this thread will get some help as those 1 cent taxes typically go strictly to transportation needs.

I don't know what kind of business you may be intending to open, but the Hwy 378 corridor between I-20 and Hwy 6 will always be a great location and there are a lot of national retail chains located there. Traffic is so tight in the area though that medians may be installed at some locations to prevent left turns - so be wary of this if your business is impulse based. Also, the area near the library and on Hwy 1 has seen a lot of new local business moving into the area.

Actually, the fastest growing commercial area for the last few years has been near the intersection of Platt Springs Road and Hwy 6. This has been somewhat of a boom area even though the real estate market was in the toilet for a few years. It's the Red Bank area, which always was associated with a more "red neck" crowd but that was many years ago, however you will find quite a bit more inexpensive housing in that area.

I do hope the 1 cent sales tax passes soon as the area does need some help with traffic but more importantly would be some walking and biking paths and public recreation areas that our community sorely needs more of. The walkway across the Lake Murray ### gets worn out by people using it, as does the beach area at the ### which has unrealized potential because SCE&G still owns and runs it. Along with that, the Saluda River can be opened up for more public use.

Anecdotally, the demographics seem to be changing a bit. Lexington has been full of families moving here, primarily for the schools, and I had one teacher from another part of the state tell me one time that the demographics at my son's elementary school "weren't fair" because it was better than a private school - the number of two parent households with both parents having a college degree was way above average. However, there have been more apartment communities built and there are more younger singles in the area than ever before and this is a good thing for lots of different businesses, particularly restaurants and specialty retail.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Yes, I feel sure there are.***

Jul 4, 2013, 11:15 AM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic