»
Topic: Better Season: USC or Clemson?
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jan 10, 2014 1:46 PM by: T Nasty Orange
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 73  

Better Season: USC or Clemson?


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 1:52 PM
 

Who had the better season and why?

Myself and a friend are having an intense argument on this, and i need some other peoples perspective.

Go!


Message was edited by: neontiger®


2019 student level member

Would Clemson fans trade our season for USuCk's?

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 1:58 PM
 

That's how you decide.

Win vs. Coots BUT loss to FSU and someone like Wake or NC St. (still finish 2nd in division but we "Pull a USuCk" by losing to someone we shouldn't), and bowl win on smaller stage vs. a barely top-20 team.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

11-2 win over the rival....finish #4.....i'd take it***

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:41 PM
 




Re: 11-2 win over the rival....finish #4.....i'd take it***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:14 PM
 

in a heart beat

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


Re: 11-2 win over the rival....finish #4.....i'd take it***

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:51 PM
 

Both teams had great seasons. Period. SC can state they were 5-0 versus final top 25 ranked teams and 2-0 versus BCS teams. Clemson can state they were 11-2 and only lost to the number one and four ranked teams and won a BCS bowl. Everyone is a winner. The State of SC stands tall this year in CFB with two top ten teams. There is no reason to disparage either program. One lost to a 5-7 team on the road by 2 and one lost to the NC's at home by a good bit. Those were the only bad games for either. I personally hope both are great every year so the rivalry keeps gaining more National respect, recognition and meaning. Lord knows, Clemson will benefit in SOS every year if SC stays relevant and by beating them it helps in the BCS rankings.


That #4 ranking is a joke. We all know that. # 8 maybe***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 9:26 AM
 



2019 student level member

Re: That #4 ranking is a joke. We all know that. # 8 maybe***

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 9:47 AM
 

Bottom line......we must beat them HEAD TO HEAD to even begin this conversation. Some of the posters here sound like the chickens of the 90s.....


no, i just truly believe we were the better team the last 2

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:07 AM
 

years. like this past game,giving them 6 turnovers just isn't going to get the job done. there are plenty of upsets every year, and i'll go to my grave saying these 2 games were among them.

military_donation.jpg

Re: That #4 ranking is a joke. We all know that. # 8 maybe***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 12:00 PM
 

Well then Cupton, you would be putting the Tigers outside the top 10. You don't rank the Tigers ahead of SCAR with a 14 point loss in the last game of the season.

You think Clemson should be ranked 11-12?


Re: That #4 ranking is a joke. We all know that. # 8 maybe***

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 12:13 PM
 

Which teams would you put above us? We beat five teams that won bowl games, two of whom won BCS bowls that you are so proud of (you can't have it both ways). We beat the Cotton Bowl winner which would rank third among the non-BCS bowls. Two of those three wins were on the road. Moreover, all three of those teams won their bowl games and finished in the top ten. (Do you want to discredit those rankings too even though you're one of them?). So I ask again, who that finished in the 5-8 range has a better resume than what I just cited?

You can try to discredit the ranking all you want, but when two separate polls see it exactly the same way, your opinion begins to sound like sour grapes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Beating OSU in the Orange means more to the country overall

[2]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 5:00 PM
 

while beating USuC means more to this region. I'll take the big picture.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg


RE:

[4]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 1:58 PM
 

There's no real argument here. A season is measured by accomplishments, Clemson won a BCS game, Coots won the capital one bowl. Final rankings are meaningless unless you have accomplished something. Although I'm sure they will make some trophy that says top 5 ranking for their empty trophy case. EX: Texas A&M beat Bama last year but Bama won the NC. Thus Bamas season was better.

2019 white level member

Re: RE:

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:49 PM
 

If final rankings are meaningless why are you using them when list who you beat?

military_donation.jpg

Tell 'em coot***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:44 AM
 




Is this even a question?

[7]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:00 PM
 

Winning a bcs bowl or winning some bowl no one remembers against a subpar opponent. They literally had a meaningless hollow season. We finished with one of the very last bcs trophies. Something USuCk has never and can never accomplish.

2019 student level member

I agree. I'd take the BCS championship. I do think it is a


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:03 PM
 

tough question though. Beating your rival is always a huge + on a season & finishing in the top 5 is certainly an accomplishment, but the fact that this was the last year of the BCS & that we had never won a BCS bowl before leaves me saying that I wouldn't trade ours for theirs.


*bcs BOWL championship...***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:05 PM
 




I think you have arguments on both sides. No matter what


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:01 PM
 

your argument is, they will always come back with "we beat you!"

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Who has a better trophy case?

[4]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:02 PM
 

Case closed.


Ever since the beginning of time and for always!!! Go CU!!


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:34 PM
 

ct


they did...#4 ranking......we have to beat them***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:02 PM
 




They? Sorry we didn't finish 4th. That was where your

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:09 PM
 

overrated coots finished. I swear the coots trying to disguise themselves as clemson fans are dumber than ever, you're not fooling anyone its over, I hate to burst your bubble but you failed. Crawl back to FGF and convince yourselves that a capital one bowl trophy and a bcs trophy are even remotely the same. Beating the rednecks < BCS win. It's pretty simple.

2019 student level member

Clemson Salvaged Theirs.


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:04 PM
 

Chickenlina beat us.
Chickenlina = NO SEC TITLE
Chickenlina beat a decently tough Wisconsin Team in
the Capital One Bowl.
ESPN will side with the SEC always and uh 'em...FSU

Clemson lost to Chickenlina again...(DA#N)
Clemson = NO ACC Title
Clemson beat one the most historical and storied
programs in Ohio State at a BCS bowl.

Clemson with a slight edge I do believe.


I'd say the chickens did more salvaging than the Tigers. . .

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:19 PM
 

Clemson lost to 2 teams ranked in the TOP 5 at seasons end. (The only ranking that matters.) While the yardbirds lost to 2 unranked teams!

Which would have been worse for each team, us losing to #7 OSU or USuC losing to the 8-5 Badgers???

Recall that our win against OSU handed Urban Meyer only his 2nd loss as Buckeyes head coach!!

Go Tigers!


Re: I'd say the chickens did more salvaging than the Tigers. . .


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:47 PM
 

On one hand you use the final ranking to make your case but in another post the final rankings don't mean anything.

military_donation.jpg

Tell em coot***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:31 AM
 




Alec Baldwin bobblehead vs BCS trophy. You tell me....

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:05 PM
 

but yes, we need to beat 'em.

null


sc beat clemson..

[2]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:06 PM
 

They have the bragging rights.

Am I the only one who actually learned the lesson Wargames was trying to Teach.

"THE ONLY winning move is not to play the game" . Wish this person a nice day and walk away.


Thumbs up for Ferris Bueller comparison


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:16 PM
 

Heyyyy Batter batter batter

Sawing batter

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Not quite...but close.***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:37 AM
 



badge-donor-05yr.jpg

well, they did end up ranked higher

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:07 PM
 

But that's entirely because they beat us head to head. You could argue that their wins over us, UCF, Mizzou, and Wisconsin mean they had a better season than we did. But on the other hand, you could argue that beating Wisconsin, who lost to PSU and whose best win was over Iowa (who sucks), isn't all that big of a deal. You could also argue that UCF, while clearly a solid team, was one that South Carolina should expect to beat. And, I think you could fairly say that South Carolina was outplayed by Clemson and Mizzou, but that turnovers and bad special teams play, respectively, handed South Carolina a win in those games.

Finally, there's the fact that they lost to a pretty bad Tennessee team and a Georgia team that ended up unranked. I'm not sure it's really fair to dog them about losing to Georgia, since we all know that Georgia was a great team at the beginning of the year and a shell of themselves later on (although they still should've won at Auburn). But I don't think a team that ends up ranked #4 should have losses to two unranked teams.


Clemson beat Georgia when they were a top 5 team. They also beat an Ohio State team in a BCS game that had only lost one game over the last two seasons, and which had second best rushing attack in the country behind only Auburn. Clemson also took care of business against everyone in the ACC... except FSU. And Clemson crapped the bed against a South Carolina team that, I think it was pretty clear on the field, they outclassed.

So I would say that while South Carolina has more big wins, they also have more bad losses. Clemson also made it to the BCS because one of the teams they lost to was in the national championship, while South Carolina was playing in a second tier bowl game- yet again- because they couldn't beat the teams they were supposed to beat.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: well, they did end up ranked higher

[2]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:12 PM
 

Easy..South Carolina fans believe we had best season, Clemson fans believe you had best season.

Both had very good seasons and fans should appreciate what their team accomplished.


All that matter in college football is conference and bowl championships

[3]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:14 PM
 

Neither team even won their division, Clemson played in the better bowl and beat a better team. SCAR won the head to head, but also had a bad loss. Clemson's other loss to national champ. SEC bias inflated SCARs ranking (4? C'mon...)

Nod to Clemson.


Re: All that matter in college football is conference and bowl championships


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:18 PM
 

What better team did Clemson beat? Ohio State missing 3 starters on defense that did not finish in top 10 and only legitimate win they had all season was Wisconsin by 7.
Missouri was better than Ohio St and UCF would have either beaten them or given them a heckuva game. Baylor was suppose to be a very special team and UCF beat them by double digits

Again, both groups will think their team had a better season.


SCar had the better season

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:20 PM
 

Beat us and didn't get crushed in their marquee game the way we did. Also ranked higer than we are.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Missouri minus their QB was not better than OSU

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:29 PM
 

and yes, SCAR played Mizzou minus their QB

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Dude...the Mizzou team you beat had back-up QB ....

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:32 PM
 

and an injured WR so spare me the Ohio State missing three starters rhetoric. Even with that, you needed two errant kicks and some rediculous foolish overly concervative play calling by Mizzou to escape with a win.




2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.


Re: Dude...the Mizzou team you beat had back-up QB ....


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:56 PM
 

Did you watch their backup in the bowl game? He is a heckuva qb and won games for them while Franklin was out. Heck the announcers were basically calling out Missouri coach for not playing him more in bowl as their offense was not stopped with him playing.

Again, two very good season, fans should be happy, both have work to do for next season.


he was still 2nd string for a reason.


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:10 AM
 

football has injuries and suspensions.it's a fact, they are part of the game.

military_donation.jpg

Winning a BCS game is the greatest achievement


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:17 PM
 

but the 5 game streak always leaves something missing.....

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).


Isn't this why polls exist?


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:23 PM
 

To determine who had the best seasons?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger


Tell 'em coot********


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:29 PM
 



2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).


double tell them coot!!!!***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:30 PM
 



2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

I think the seasons are pretty even, actually.


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:31 PM
 

Maybe a slight edge to Clemson because of the BCS win and USuC's loss to Tennessee.

2019 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.


They both went 11-2 and both won bowl games.


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:51 PM
 

Both had some big wins on the year. Both ended up in the Top 10.

The difference is what people value more. Do you value beating your rival more or winning the Orange Bowl more?

Me personally, I'd rather have a rivalry win. So with basically everything else being even, I'll give South Carolina the nod because of the head-to-head win.


Re: They both went 11-2 and both won bowl games.


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 5:01 PM
 

> Both had some big wins on the year. Both ended up in
> the Top 10.
>
> The difference is what people value more. Do you
> value beating your rival more or winning the Orange
> Bowl more?
>
> Me personally, I'd rather have a rivalry win. So with
> basically everything else being even, I'll give South
> Carolina the nod because of the head-to-head win.
I give SC credit for going 5-0 versus final top 25, while Clemson went 1-2. Sorry, I place more importance on wins and add in the HTH win by SC and their higher ranking, it might be a slight push to SC.


We. HAVE. to. beat. THEM.***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:58 PM
 




Clemson had a better team than Michigan State, Auburn,


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 2:59 PM
 

Baylor, and Bama.

All of those teams lost their BCS games, therefore, Clemson is a superior team.

Is that how it works?


Re: Better Season: USC or Clemson?


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:13 PM
 

Tigers lost to #1 & #4
Coots lost to unranked Ga. & Tenn.
Enough Said


Re: Better Season: USC or Clemson?


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:58 PM
 

> Tigers lost to #1 & #4
> Coots lost to unranked Ga. & Tenn.
> Enough Said

Yes, but both had great seasons. SC can claim a 5-0 record versus final top 25 teams and a 2-0 record versus BCS Bowl teams. Clemson can claim wins over OSU in a BCS Bowl and only one bad loss, which was to the eventual NC team. Great seasons by both, and if both keep up their current success of being top ten teams, the rivalry will garner more national attention and respect and help Clemson in SOS for BCS/Playoff implications going forward when they beat SC. Clemson will benefit from good SC teams in the new format when they beat the GC's, those four slots will be very competitive and SOS will be a big factor. After FSU, SC can help Clemson the most in that respect.


Re: Better Season: USC or Clemson?


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 11:31 PM
 

> Tigers lost to #1 & #4
> Coots lost to unranked Ga. & Tenn.
> Enough Said

Going by wins rather than losses, SC was 5-0 vs final top 25 teams, Clemson was 1-2 with a loss to SC, you pick. SC also was 2-0 vsBCS teams, it all seems silly to debate, but SC has a number four ranking with a win over Clemson, hard to argue that. Go easy here, trying to be real.


Stings to say, but they did

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:15 PM
 

We lost our two most important games (FSU and USC)


What answer do you think you are going to get on here?***


Posted: Jan 9, 2014 4:56 PM
 




They did because they beat us. I'd take a win over them

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 5:00 PM
 

rather than the Orange Bowl.

Now, if we had won four straight and and lost to them this year, I'd reverse.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


Re: SC had their best ever season

[1]
Posted: Jan 9, 2014 11:44 PM
 

and beat us again so I give them the nod. We too had a very good year.


we did, USC finished 19th...***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 7:57 AM
 



2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

SCar finished top 5 and beat Clem head to head...


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:01 AM
 

...clearly had the better season. Not been up for discussion.


Tell 'em coot


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:45 AM
 

BCS, look it up since you have never been to one.


What would Danny Ford say?


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:40 AM
 

I think that we know the answer but most wouldn't want to hear it.


Ditka***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:46 AM
 




They had a slightly better season than we did


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 8:52 AM
 

considering we had the same record...and they beat us head to head and finished ahead of us in the polls. We can all say the polls don't matter or that it's all a matter of perception, but that's just how the overall game is played.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."


Ask yourself


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:05 AM
 

Would any Gamecock fan trade out season for Clem's?
Answer is no
Would any Clem fan trade their season for Carolina's. I think behind closed doors, most tiger fans would. We beat 3 top 10 teams. Clem beat 1 top 25 team. Did Clemson win a better bowl game? Sure, but our season was more impressive as a whole


I don't think most CU fans would

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:06 AM
 

I agree that more Clemson fans would probably trade for USC's season than vice versa but I don't think that MOST would. I know I wouldn't. Whether coot fans will admit it or not, BCS games mean a lot and offer a level of exposure that few other games can. Winning one of them in dramatic fashion is quite satisfying and I'd gladly take it over beating three top 10 teams in the regular season.


Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


BCS games certainly provide good exposure,


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:43 AM
 

and SC would have liked to participate, but Wake Forest played in a BCS game. I think most people understand that the best 8 teams do not automatically play in a BCS game.

Clemson had some great exposure this year, without a doubt. But some of you act as if South Carolina hasn't gotten the same level of exposure for the past three years. It's like you really believe that the casual college football fan in Nevada thinks Clemson is more relevant than South Carolina in college football because Clemson played in a BCS bowl as a 12th ranked team. SC isn't squeaking into the top 25. They have been there for 3.5 seasons.


Re: BCS games certainly provide good exposure,

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:01 AM
 

A casual football fan in Nevada won't know the difference between Clemson and South Carolina. I hate to break it to y'all but neither program is nationally elite. There's a reason why we only recruit a few primary states (with a few exceptions.) Neither program has the national exposure of Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, or Alabama to go grab the #1 kid from southern California.

2019 student level member

Re: Ask yourself

[1]
Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:02 AM
 

Again, a subjective question. You also lost to Tennessee, that's pretty horrible and I'd be embarrassed by that.

2019 student level member

Re: Re: Ask yourself


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:46 AM
 

Tennessee loss was ugly, no question. But isn't losing to a team by 40, at home, after the monumental buildup before the Fl St game embarrassing? I know they won the National Championship, but Clem had 2 ugly losses this year too.


Re: Re: Ask yourself


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 1:20 PM
 

Lost to the number 4 team in the country and number 1 team in the country. Both losses sucked because they were to teams we really wanted to beat but neither loss was that huge letdown of losing to a bad unranked team either.

2019 student level member

Seriously? They beat us and are ranked higher. The ONLY..


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:56 AM
 

thing we have on them is the Orange Bowl win, which historically is huge, but even then we got in a BCS over them on a technicality. They were MORE deserving.


Re: Better Season: USC or Clemson?


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:59 AM
 

I wouldn't trade our season for theirs and they wouldn't trade their season with ours. Obviously we want to beat them and they want to play in a BCS game but that didn't happen and comparing "which is better?" Is like asking someone what their favorite fruit is. It's a subjective question and neither side will agree.

2019 student level member

Both teams had great seasons, but they beat us


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:32 AM
 

and are ranked #4 in the country with the same amount of losses. I have to say they had the better season.


Re: Both teams had great seasons, but they beat us


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:35 AM
 

Look the Orange Bowl is a great bowl and it was a great win, but why is everyone acting like everyone nationwide has been talking about it non stop since it happened? I honestly have not seen any national media really focus on the Orange Bowl since the MNC kicked off.


It astounds me that any Clemson fan would truly think....


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:49 AM
 

we had the better season (we being Clemson).


Even***


Posted: Jan 10, 2014 1:46 PM
 




Replies: 73  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Fiesta Bowl
FOR SALE: Lower Level Premium Section 105, Row 30, Seats 15 & 16 $550/pair Also have 2 more tickets (poste...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
4570 people have read this post