Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m sure Trump was just pandering to evangelicals with this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 554

I’m sure Trump was just pandering to evangelicals with this

Jan 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

but I do like the idea. The Bible, particularly the Old Testament, deserves its place as a reliable historical document. That doesn’t you mean you have to give credit for the miraculous events that it depicts to God, it just means the writers and observers of these events interpreted them that way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sure Trump was just pandering to evangelicals with this

Jan 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-backs-controversial-push-for-bible-classes-in-schools/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=62933598

Let Trump teach it, I'm suuuure he's read it.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:44 AM

Lulz

There's this little thing called seperation of church

Jan 6, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m sure Trump was just pandering to evangelicals with this ]

and state.

But if we are going to get rid of that, are there also going to be Koran classes?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Red state approved interpretations of the Koran and

Jan 6, 2020, 10:53 AM

the Pali Canon might be hilarious, TBH.

That's why I stand against all religion being taught using..

Jan 6, 2020, 11:34 AM

government money. A government will change religions every time it changes leaders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's why I stand against all religion being taught using..

Jan 6, 2020, 1:21 PM

The Bible has a lot of history that could be taught without proselytizing. You can’t really say that about any other religious book but I would hope that if they taught one they would teach them all.

Re: There's this little thing called seperation of church

Jan 6, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to There's this little thing called seperation of church ]

Yes. I absolutely think the founders of the major world religions and historical evidence surrounding them should be taught. That wouldn’t be good for Islam.

Jan 6, 2020, 1:54 PM

What religion would hold up well under the scrutiny of historical accuracy? I mean, the fact that the Jesus story predates Jesus by centuries is pretty damning, isn't it?

Jan 6, 2020, 2:36 PM

First of all, a closer look into the pagan religions Christianity supposedly borrowed from reveals that the similarities are vague and historical evidence for most of these religions actually come after the time of Jesus.

Second, even if the story of Jesus had similarities to one of the thousands of other beliefs that predate him that doesn’t hurt the historical credibility of the Gospels or any other book of the New Testament that we learn about him from.

Third, no other figure from ancient history, religious or not, has as many sources close to the time they supposedly lived. At worst the latest book of the New Testament was written around the mid 90s AD, within about 60-70 years of Jesus’ ministry. There are things taught in classrooms that the earliest source for the events come hundreds and sometimes even thousands of years later, yet nobody even has a second thought about whether or not they are true.

"a reliable historical document"

Jan 6, 2020, 11:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sure Trump was just pandering to evangelicals with this

Jan 6, 2020, 11:27 PM

That may be true. But in a Democratic Republic, if you teach the Bible in schools then you also have to teach the Koran, the Torah and the miriad of Hindu texts.

But aside from all of that, there's the whole 'separation of church and state" you have to find a way to get past.

The clause, by the way, was specifically put in there to prevent hack Presidents and lemming supporters from marrying govt. with the Bible.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 554
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic