Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings

Oct 8, 2012, 5:06 PM

ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings

Oct 8, 2012, 5:09 PM

doesnt matter. Clemson has always depeded on themselves and not ridden the coattails of a conference like USuCk does. Its pathetic to hear SEC SEC chanted instead of USC...laughable

It seems many in the SEC could be riding USC's coat tails

Oct 8, 2012, 5:22 PM

this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This kept Tommy Bowden employed

Oct 8, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings ]

for a decade. If we had been in the SEC those six win seasons would have been 4-5. Mediocrity shows up faster in a good conference. We should always win ten games minimum in this league or we failed.

TB might have won 1 out of the last 3 games...

Oct 8, 2012, 9:48 PM

These have been different USC teams that Dabo has faced. Much better talent and Spurrier has finally adapted a bit.

Oct 8, 2012, 5:24 PM

Who gives a crap about ESPN power rankings?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2012, 5:42 PM

It's not to bad to be in the ACC because if we were in the Sec no way Clemson could win 10 games this season.

Oct 8, 2012, 7:05 PM

That's a, I'm scared of them big people in the sec argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO FAITH IN DABO YOU HAVE!***

Oct 10, 2012, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2012, 5:50 PM

All I know is that with a 4 team playoff lurking on the horizon the ACC is going to get left out of the mix. The Pac-12, SEC , Big-12 and Big-10 are going to be on the inside and we are going to be on the outside looking in. If we have a chance to get into one of those conferences we had better take it or we are going to lose end up in conference with Furman, Wofford, App. St, etc. Some conference with grab Fla. St., Miami and Va. Tech. But we are dangerously close to being left out in the cold. Can you imagine what that will do to recruiting? Think about it.

Oh, I forgot, we are committed to the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2012, 5:52 PM

Sorry about the typos. Too much beer today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2012, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings ]

Like I said we should have left with he first opportunity.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2012, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings ]

The playoff will not be one conference against another. It will be one team playing another team. If we take care of business and win, we'll be in. If we don't then we won't. The conference issue comes into play if/when we have 1 or 2 loss teams at the end of the season.

My point is that we would get left out of a 4 team play off because we aren't one of the top 4 teams in the country, not because we play in the ACC. Let's say that both Clemson and FSU run the table, which in both cases, means beating one of the top teams in the SEC. What do you think the odds would be of at least one of us getting into a playoff if it started this season? Pretty high. Suppose we drop another game, what happens to those odds? The go from pretty high to now way.

Right now, we're 13th in the coaches' poll, the only one that matters for the BCS. That means that there are 12 teams in front of us and we only have to pass 9 of them to make it into a 4 team play off. FSU only has to pass 7. Here's who they play.

Alabama - LSU-8, Miss St-18 + SEC East winner
Oregon - @USC-9, @Oregon St-14, Stanford-17, + PAC 12 South winner
usc-e - They lose when we beat them if not before
West Va - KState-5, Oklahoma-10
KState - @WVa-4, Tex-15
Florida - LSU-8, usc-3, @FSU-11, UGa-12
Notre Dame - Stanford-17, @Oklahoma-10, @USC-9
LSU - usce-3, @Alabama-1, Miss St-18
USC - Oregon-2, Notre Dame-7, + PAC 12 North Champion
Oklahoma - Texas-15, Notre Dame-7, @WVa-4
FSU - Florida-6
Georgia - Florida-6

At a minimum, these teams play each other so many times that somebody has lose. If we take care of business and win the rest of our games, we will almost assuredly be in the top 4 teams at the end of the season. Unfortunatley, this year, it's top 2 and that's a much tougher hill to climb because it's a slam dunk that one of the top 2 will be from the SEC. Unless, of course the gamecocks win the SEC after we beat them this Thanksgiving.

Now, what are the odds of a Clemson - South Carolina rematch for the national championship? I'd say pretty slim, but a win over an undefeated and already crowned Crimson Tide might get them back to #2. Ironically, we would probably get left out of that scenario unless we got A LOT of cooperation from the rest of the country like Bama did last year.

There is no way anyone in the ACC is leaving now

Oct 9, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: ACC drops in conference power rankings ]

the buyout is way too large

There's no substantial difference between the SEC and Big 12

Oct 8, 2012, 6:00 PM

Just as there's no substantial difference between #'s 4-6. It was pretty much the same last year...and why I still believe Oklahoma State deserved to be in the national title game just as much as either Alabama or LSU.

Re: There's no substantial difference between the SEC and Big 12

Oct 8, 2012, 6:32 PM

All this tells me is that we need to change around the way we look at things. In conference for the immediate future is going to be the easy part of our schedule with the exception of FSU. Our OOC schedule should be filled with nothing but top flight teams so we at least get the exposure as such. The in state schools need to go for now until our conference decides to take things seriously again. Schedule Oregon and Alabama or teams like that.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's no substantial difference between the SEC and Big 12

Oct 8, 2012, 7:09 PM

I agree we should schedule much better OOC games. But not so fast, lets not pick up possible MNC contenders.:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Oct 9, 2012, 2:15 PM

AU is on our schedule and we played them when they won the NC, who would have known they would have been that good then and so bad now? I think tough OOC games is key, but dominant OOC games. GA for the next couple of years is heading in the right direction

Oct 8, 2012, 7:15 PM

keep yur heads in the sand... we get no respect because of swofford and this god awful conference

Oh surprise. The SEC network ranks ACC lower.***

Oct 8, 2012, 10:23 PM

Oct 8, 2012, 11:22 PM

So the acc is a mid major..thank you Virginia Tech and Miami

I read that article, and I have to say the stupidest thing

Oct 8, 2012, 11:28 PM

I've seen is this: "Losses by No. 3 Florida State and Miami had a huge impact."

How does a loss by FSU to an IN CONFERENCE TEAM hurt the conference rankings??

Just food for thought at the asinine train of thought going through all this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, it would imply that your strongest team is not as

Oct 9, 2012, 7:51 AM

strong as everyone thought. And with no strong OOC wins for any ACC members, that could bring the whole conference down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but the loss is to another conference team. In the SEC

Oct 9, 2012, 8:52 AM

it makes the conference stronger to have so much parity. In the ACC it simply means that the conference is weaker? I don't buy it because if FSU loses to NCSU, that means that the only team good enough to beat FSU is another ACC team. I'm a South Carolina fan, and I DO NOT buy that logic. If teams losing CONFERENCE games makes a conference weaker, then the system is flawed. The system should be based on OOC performance. Granted the ACC still doesn't stack up well there, but at least the LOGIC makes sense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, but the loss is to another conference team. In the SEC

Oct 9, 2012, 9:01 AM

There are many patsies on out of conference schedules, especially in the sec.

Re: Yeah, but the loss is to another conference team. In the SEC

Oct 9, 2012, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Yeah, but the loss is to another conference team. In the SEC ]

The issue is that NC State has an out of conference barometer in its loss to Tennessee. They're trying to apply the transitive property of mathematics to college football and it doesn't work. Conference games are different than out of conference because the NC State offensive linemen know the FSU defensive linemen and linebackers. They've watched a lot of film on them and know their defensive calls and tendancies. Also, the emotions of college athletes and their performances can vary greatly from game to game.

That's a lot of words to say that NC State's barometer shouldn't matter, but the fact is that it does. FSU's loss means that the ACC went from having a very strong contender for the national championship to having very little shot at getting into the game. That hurts the ACC.

Yep

Oct 9, 2012, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but the loss is to another conference team. In the SEC ]

The ACC has done terrible with OOC weaker opponents but for the past few years E$PN has contradicted themselves with that logic. SEC team loses to another SEC team, well that just shows how tough the SEC is and you have to bring your A game everyweekend. If the ACC loses to one of their own then the whole conference is weak. Doesn't make alot of sense and you would think they would notice that, but ppl should soak up whatever they say and take it for what it is. I know the ACC is weak this year and has been in the past, but it should go by who teams play OOC and who they beat.

Re: Oh surprise. The SEC network ranks ACC lower.***

Oct 9, 2012, 7:59 AM

This conspiracy stuff is getting out of control. Our conference looks worse than the big east right now. I don't care that much, as we are in position to get to a bcs game, but it's not really arguable.

Re: Oh surprise. The SEC network ranks ACC lower.***

Oct 9, 2012, 10:44 AM

This is just a computer thing. Just for grins, I looked at the Sagarin conference rankings. Right now, the #1 conference was the B1G and the SEC was 4th and the ACC 5th. This is just a product of not enough games. If you don't look at the players and just look at objective results, Alabama doesn't look that good. They haven't beaten anybody with a pulse. The computer looks at wins agains Michigan, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Western Kentucky, and Florida Atlantic and prints out a yawn.

The ACC isn't doing very well, but FSU and Clemson are and IF we both finish the season with wins against our SEC rivals, the conference as a whole will be perceived as stepping up. If we got 1-1, we won't be perceived poorly. If, on the other hand, the ACC goes 0-3 against the SEC counting Ga Tech, our reputation will be confirmed.

those last three games for ACC and SEC matchups

Oct 9, 2012, 2:24 PM

will have alot to do with how the conference is perceived. 0-3 would be detrimental to the ACC

Closed book, end of story. 50 million buyout now.***

Oct 9, 2012, 2:01 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic