Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basically, It's better to be 2nd or 3rd in the ACC...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Basically, It's better to be 2nd or 3rd in the ACC...

Oct 31, 2012, 9:42 AM

...and MAYBE go to a BCS game than to see FSU fall, win an ACC Championship, and DEFINITELY go to a BCS bowl?

That's just silly. I'm sure the coaches and the team would be the first to tell you, it's about Championships.

String together conference championships on our way to the National Championship. That's what it's about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basically, It's better to be 2nd or 3rd in the ACC...

Oct 31, 2012, 9:51 AM

I think right now as the conference stands yes it would be better to be 2nd. If the conference was stronger I would say it would be ok to see FSU lose. It will also make our stock go up going into 2013 if we play 3 SEC teams and win out. Don't get me wrong I would prefer us win out and go to the championship game and win as well.

Exactly.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:06 AM

We lose a meaning championship appearance to make the future championships have significance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, actually...

Oct 31, 2012, 10:03 AM

If both Clemson and FSU win out, Clemson's in the top 5 or 6 and will at least be going to the Peach Bowl, at most be going to the Sugar or Fiesta Bowl. If Clemson ends up winning the ACCC, then it ends up in the Orange Bowl against a Big East opponent that we'll be expected to beat or embarassed to lose to. I say, if we can't go to a MNC this year and we have to count on another team losing to fall into the ACCC against a bad Coastal team, why not end up with the better matchup and a perception going into next year that the ACC has two legitimate title contenders, thus improving our SOS and giving us a chance at the MNC next year? Winning the ACC is nice, but unless the national perception is that there are other good teams in the conference, it's meaningless to anybody but us and all the other ACC teams you guys like to make fun of. That being the case, at least this year, there's not much difference in national perception between us winning the conference and us finishing in the top 5-6 teams.

Another way to put it is that it's better to be second or third in the ACC and ranked number 6 or 7 at the end of the year than it is to win the ACC and be ranked 21st. At some point after years of that, the only people winning the ACC would matter to would be other ACC schools.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct, sir.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:06 AM

Go for the ACC championship. Better sales to recruits, better for our legacy and tradition as owners of the ACC, guaranteed BCS rather than a crapshoot as #2

would you rather play...

Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 AM

Louisville or Rutgers in Miami, or play Georgia or Miss St. in NOLA or Atlanta?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm laughing at Miss St being an option

Oct 31, 2012, 10:10 AM

they were and still are waaay overrated

which is why it would be nice to play them

Oct 31, 2012, 10:16 AM

Always good to take down an overrated team, but it's even better when that overrated team is from the SEC.

Point for birds of a feather in thought sir. ***

Oct 31, 2012, 10:18 AM

Miss St will be playing CU in CFA

Oct 31, 2012, 10:57 AM [ in reply to I'm laughing at Miss St being an option ]

if CU doesn't win out

So beating 3 SEC Schools doesn't say nothing to recruits?

Oct 31, 2012, 10:09 AM [ in reply to You are correct, sir. ]

We have been to ACC Championships and won lately. What I haven't heard is a 3 game winning sweep against the SEC.

There's no guarantee we get to the Sugar if we win out

Oct 31, 2012, 10:10 AM

I would rather place the safe bet. It's about championships. Feel free to differ.

Either way we won't be playing the Big East or Hawaii.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:15 AM

:)

Re: There's no guarantee we get to the Sugar if we win out

Oct 31, 2012, 10:17 AM [ in reply to There's no guarantee we get to the Sugar if we win out ]

This. Last year didn't do us any favors with the BCS.

would it be about championships...

Oct 31, 2012, 10:19 AM [ in reply to There's no guarantee we get to the Sugar if we win out ]

if we played in the Mountain West? What about if we played in the MAC? Winning your conference matters much more if the conference has at least a handful of good teams. If FSU lost to VT and then lost to Florida, they'd be dropped down to the bottom of the top 25. Winning the ACC then would be pretty meaningless, especially if we ended up playing Duke or VT again.

Conference Championship would matter more in the MWC***

Oct 31, 2012, 10:57 AM

FINALLY someone that "gets it". Stupid to be playing

Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 AM [ in reply to You are correct, sir. ]

in a conference trying to "NOT win the conference crown"!!! Weird how minds work.

Beat ranked opponents

Oct 31, 2012, 10:16 AM

that's how we rose to #5 last year. It is the only way and the best way to measure legitimacy and crack the SEC veil. Beating USuC should raise some eyebrows.

If I could choose.....

Oct 31, 2012, 10:48 AM

I would choose to win the rest of our games no matter who or where we play. At the end of the year, being ranked in top 5 coming off a significant bowl victory would be the best year I have ever witnessed as a Clemson fan.

For better or for worse, this is our conference.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 AM

And in everyone's argument you mention that "it makes our conference look stronger. It's a weak conference" So what does it say that we are not the champion of a weak conference?! Plus, y'all are under the assumption that we will play a BCS bowl against an SEC team.

It's about championships.

reminds me of baseballfan saying sometimes a double is

Oct 31, 2012, 11:07 AM

better than a homerun

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% right, these people wanting the Sugar and sacrificing

Oct 31, 2012, 12:04 PM

an ACC title to have it over the Orange are absolutely wrong.

This isn't even close, you take a conference title any day of the week.

Re: 100% right, these people wanting the Sugar and sacrificing

Oct 31, 2012, 12:17 PM

I don't see how you can do this.

Assume we win out.

Beating South Carolina at the end of the season to advance on to play Georgia, LSU or Florida in the Sugar Bowl (where the stadium will be full, as opposed to 2/3's full) does more for our program than winning the ACC and beating a Big East opponent.

I know the "conference champions" has a compelling ring to it. But let's fool no one. Winning the ACC doesn't get you the respect that the first scenario does.

I hate the SEC. But they have the leverage with the media, and beating 2 top 5 SEC teams to close out the season would benefit this program more than beating a pathetic Coastal team and Rutgers. No matter how you slice it.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic