Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was there any hype at the start of the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,699

Was there any hype at the start of the

Aug 22, 2013, 2:28 PM

1981 national championship season for us? Since I wasn't around in '81, was there any talk about us being in contention for a NC? It seems these days as if the couple months preceding kickoff analysts just talk about potential NC teams/heisman players. I find it annoying to get constantly bombarded by this before the first snap of a new season imo. Was it also the case back in the olden days? thx

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Not Really

Aug 22, 2013, 2:34 PM

I think we started the season ranked 12-13 and a bunch of crazy stuff was handed down from the Gods in orange. Don't get me wrong, they were a GREAT team, but a lot of stuff happened that year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not Really

Aug 22, 2013, 2:35 PM

I didn't think we started ranked after going 6-5?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct. We weren't raked until after beating the Mutts

Aug 22, 2013, 2:37 PM

1981(12-0, National Champs 6-0, ACC Champs)
Ranked 1st by AP and UPI
S. 5 45-10 W H Wofford
S. 12 13-5 W A Tulane
S. 19 13-3 W H Georgia(NR-4)
0. 3 21-3 W A Kentucky(14NR)
O. 10 27-0 W H Virginia(9-NR)
O. 17 38-10 W A Duke(6-NR)
O. 24 17-7 W H N. C. State(4NR)
O. 31 82-24 W H W. Forest(3-NR)
N. 7 10-8 W A N. Carolina(2-8)
N. 14 21-7 W H Maryland(2-NR)
N. 21 29-13 W A S. Carolina(2-NR)
J. 1 22-15 W N1 %Nebraska(1-4)
N1 at Orange Bowl at Miami, FL

http://www.tigernet.com/football/history/all-time-results.jsp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

went to the tulane and maryland games that year, which was

Aug 22, 2013, 2:56 PM

pretty good, considering i was in a stupor, most of the time! ok, ok y'all cut that out, i am an entirely different person now. i am, er, was, one of the last of a dying breed of hard fighting, hard working, hard living guys.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None and we were coming off of a 6-5 season!***

Aug 22, 2013, 2:37 PM

From what I've heard there was none. We came off

Aug 22, 2013, 2:38 PM

a pretty disappointing '80 season. We were unranked. People were calling for Danny's head and then we beat defending national champs Georgia. That win got everyone's attention and we went from being unranked to being ranked pretty high. And then I think a win over #8 UNC solidified our image in the eyes of the rest of the country as a powerhouse team.

the hype was for firing Danny Ford

Aug 22, 2013, 2:39 PM

he had turned an 11-1 1978 team into a 6-5 1980 team in 2 short years.

In today's hyper-reactive world he would have probably been run out of town for that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the hype was for firing Danny Ford

Aug 22, 2013, 3:29 PM

And some of those who beggedd for Danny's head then were still yelling for Dabo's head last year. Listen up if we stumble this year you will hear their calls again. :)

Absolutely none!

Aug 22, 2013, 2:39 PM

We had just completed an 8-4 campaign in '79, and descended to 6-5 in 1980. Rumblings were heard about our young coach . . .

But the power of the orange britches was established in the last game of the 1980 season, which propelled the Tiger Team into the new season. We didn't garner any real respect until the Georgia game that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There was excitement but not this level of hype. I was a

Aug 22, 2013, 2:46 PM

sophomore at UGA back then and the loss to Clemson in '81 was shocking.

The Monday night game in '82 was something else.

I have to say that I've always had an affection for Clemson fans and miss the rivalry.

I like Clemson so much that I attend the Clemson-Tech game here in Atlanta when it's played at BDS. That's also a pretty good rivalry.

So I guess with today's perception

Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 PM

of the different conferences (for better or worse), we pretty much need to be ranked to have a shot or start with a marquee match up for the first game. This year we have both. Solid

Re: So I guess with today's perception

Aug 22, 2013, 2:53 PM

Lol why did it blank out "m a r q u e e" on my post

Re: So I guess with today's perception

Aug 22, 2013, 2:58 PM

In 1981 you did not have 24/7 sports talk radio,tv ,internet whatever hype there was it was nothing like today. Good or bad. Heck we were lucky to see Clemson on TV a couple times a year. Not even The Clemson SC game was on every year.

But that was probably because no one

Aug 22, 2013, 2:59 PM

gave a crap about seeing Usuck on TV right? ;)

Re: Was there any hype at the start of the

Aug 22, 2013, 3:04 PM

Wasn't even talked about.

Re: Was there any hype at the start of the

Aug 22, 2013, 3:11 PM

AP preseason had Michigan, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Alabama and the real USC as top 5. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

No hype whatever due to the lousy season the year

Aug 22, 2013, 3:40 PM

before. However, the Georgia game opened a lot of eyes, as I recall most Clemson fans were stunned with that win, which I think resulted in a #14 ranking for us.

Even as the season progressed, most folks thought we might trip along the way with the UNC game giving us a big scare. Surprisingly, few that I knew were too concerned about South Carolina, for we felt we had the power to win that one.

What did p!ss off a lot of fans was the butt-sniffing the media performed on Nebraska, giving us little chance in the OB. Honestly, I can't think of another game in nearly 50 years that caused more rattled nerves than that NC one...couldn't sleep for days before and by the time the game arrived, I was nearly half lit from downing healthy doses of JD...straight up. But, Friends...we did PARTY PARTY PARTY after that win!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my freshmen year....

Aug 22, 2013, 4:35 PM

and while the student body was looking forward to the upcoming sesaon, the team was coming off a disappointing 6-5 season and a 4th place finish in the ACC. Furthermore, the Tigers were not ranked in any of the preseason polls. Consequently, there really wasn't a lot of media "hype", esp[ecially on a national level, at the start of the 1981 season.

In fact, the hype really didn't start until week three of the season when Clemson defeated Georgia (the defending National Champions) 13 - 3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No comparison.

Aug 22, 2013, 5:08 PM

A different media world that we live in today.
Thank goodness Jim Lampley only had ABC to promote his cause a year later.

Lampley is an overly-opinionated blowhard.***

Aug 22, 2013, 5:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,699
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic