Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some good, some bad. And do we have a QB controversy?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Some good, some bad. And do we have a QB controversy?

Oct 9, 2017, 10:00 AM

The more I watch KB, the more I'm convinced he has trouble with the short throw. Everything sails high. And we don't throw the slant anymore. He's a terrific runner and shows amazing elusiveness. But he still has issues in the pocket and tends to hold the ball too long and seems slow on his progressions. And it's getting apparent the staff doesn't trust him because he's still having issues diagnosing zone coverage. A lot of armchair quarterbacks think Johnson should be the #2 guy right now. I tend to agree. He's still learning the playbook but he plays fast, he has great touch on the ball, and he's a great running threat. We will see who goes against Syracuse but I won't be surprised to see Johnson emerge as the #2 Friday night.

Cannon at TE: GET HIM IN THE GAME. Richard just can't block. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Anchrum played well at RT--glad to see it. He will need his A game against NC State and in all probability Miami in the ACCCG (assuming we beat NC State).

TEMPO: Why do Scelliott slow the game down when we get a lead? They need to keep their foot on the gas and put the dagger into the heart of the opposing team, not let them hang around. Very disappointed in the playcalling. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us when we play NC State .

On defense, the ONLY thing I'm seeing that concerns me is play at safety--guys are not rolling over the top because they bite on play action. We gave up two TD's due to poor safety play. Oh, and AJ Terrell is a superstar.

So looking ahead, the only teams that concern me are NCState and Miami---because KB holds the ball too long and they both have good D lines and a decent backfield. Venables has two weeks to prepare for Pawl Johnson and his high school offense. Deadly.

Oh, and screw the 'Cuse. Go Tigers!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

We control a game with our defense.

Oct 9, 2017, 10:23 AM

When we're one point ahead on the scoreboard and the other team can't convert a third down we're in control.

Somehow I think perhaps the coaching staff is going to use KB's slight injury as an excuse to work our QB depth chart. I'm not saying they are ready to change canoes in mid stream but I think we get to see some three deep fireworks Friday night.

Kids learn from mistakes. I believe Venables relishes having film with a kid making a mistake more than air to breathe. If we win the game despite the fact that one of our guys made a mistake you can bet Venables will get his money's worth in practice the following week.

I'm not sure I'm concerned about Alabama right now. Pff on UM and NCS. They only team I've seen play that can beat Clemson is Auburn, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was thinking the same.*****

Oct 9, 2017, 10:25 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We control a game with our defense.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:02 AM [ in reply to We control a game with our defense. ]

I agree about the three deep fireworks. When Cooper and Johnson came into the game they let them throw it around despite a 21 point lead in the late 3rd/early 4th.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:04 AM

Pretty obvious that our #3 played a lot better than our #2. I would expect movement on the depth chart this Friday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:09 AM

I agree Johnson definitely has the best arm talent on the team and looked confident out there.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 9, 2017, 12:07 PM

He's definitely the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the starter next season even over KB. It'll be a TL/HJ battle for starter in 2 years.

Didn't we already play auburn?

Oct 9, 2017, 12:23 PM [ in reply to We control a game with our defense. ]

Seems to me we won that one! :)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes and we controlled the game fairly well.

Oct 9, 2017, 12:26 PM

They are still the last on my list of favs to play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some good, some bad. And do we have a QB controversy?

Oct 9, 2017, 10:25 AM

Any other complaints?

We are 6-0 and KB has played very well. And the your

Oct 9, 2017, 10:54 AM

question is do we have a QB controversy? Wow.

Deer Dabo: this game was in jeopardy until 6:18 of 1st Q

Oct 9, 2017, 10:32 AM

We really were on pins and needles until around 12:25pm Saturday. This week, please endeavor to put the game away before the 10:00 mark of the 1st Quarter in order to satiate the ingrate fan base. We can't keep supporting you with all this anxiety.

Thank you,
Ingrate Fan Base

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, we were in trouble, horrifying moments, no way to win

Oct 9, 2017, 10:48 AM

up until about the 13:45 of first quarter (our first drive was all that needed to be watched on Saturday)
IS THERE NO WAY TO RUN BACK THE KICKOFF.....IT'S THE ONLY WAY!how are our real fans supposed to be content if we don't grab a 21 point lead in the first 6 minutes of the game????

mercy, someone get this to Dabo

Re: Deer Dabo: this game was in jeopardy until 6:18 of 1st Q

Oct 9, 2017, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Deer Dabo: this game was in jeopardy until 6:18 of 1st Q ]

Thanks. Nothing short of perfection will get Dabo out of the doghouse.

If Dabo walked onn water....

Oct 9, 2017, 11:38 AM

some would say he started with the wrong foot.

There is NO QB controversy?

Oct 9, 2017, 10:51 AM

KB2 is an even better fit for this offense than DW4. He has demonstrated that he can play at an extremely high level against top 15 talent.

Now , if you ask if there is an QB controversy for the starting position if KB2 was out of the picture, I would say very much so

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is NO QB controversy?

Oct 9, 2017, 11:02 AM

I should have qualified this as many are saying Johnson should be #2 on the depth chart--KB is the clear choice at #1. I certainly didn't imply otherwise. Cooper didn't impress me and he missed an easy touchdown. Some of you guys are wound up too tight.

Screw Calford.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:08 AM

So Clemson is currently involved in a controversy over who will be the backup QB. Man, things are pretty good in the upstate.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:13 AM

It's relevant because word in camp is Bryant won't play Friday.

But to your point, yeah, things are pretty #### good at Clemson right now.

Screw Calford.

KB is undoubtedly the 1st string QB...

Oct 9, 2017, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: There is NO QB controversy? ]

as long as he is fully functional in the run game. If he is gimpy and not a full threat with his feet, he should sit the bench until his ankle issues are no longer a hindrance. Johnson is known for his ability as a mobile QB, and anyone who thinks Cooper should see the field before HJ while victory is still in doubt needs to get their eyes checked.
If the coaches send KB out there on a gimpy ankle and he is unable to perform in the run game (or even worse, further injures the ankle), it could cost us a shot at another appearance in the CFP. Why would you do that if you really think KB is the man we need in the game to beat Bama? A gimpy KB ain’t gonna get us there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB is undoubtedly the 1st string QB...

Oct 9, 2017, 11:57 AM

smfh at some of the drivel you type.

Re: KB is undoubtedly the 1st string QB...

Oct 9, 2017, 12:09 PM

KB isn't a threat at all when he can't run. It's about the only thing he can do well other than throw the deep ball. Our offense thrived on passes 5-15 yards down field last year...not the at LoS or bombs that KB can only seem to make. I really liked what I saw out of HJ saturday.

KB2 isn't a better fit. That is silly*****

Oct 9, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to There is NO QB controversy? ]

DW was an excellent fit in last year's offense.

Oct 9, 2017, 12:30 PM [ in reply to There is NO QB controversy? ]

Perhaps we are comparing apples to oranges or maybe it's as simple as overlooking the fact that we have the best OC staff in the world and they customize each offense to fit the best quarterback. KB fitting this offense better than DW becomes trivial, imo.

I'd also agree that we have no controversy for the position.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Oct 9, 2017, 12:04 PM

No controversy in my opinion. With the short week, a bad ankle on a great running qb weapon and 15 days off after Syrcacuse, I wouldn't play KB

Should be HJ #1, ZC #2 and KBas the emergency qb (if it's tight)

If HJ lights it up Friday night the board may get interesting the following 2 weeks. It won't sway Dabo, but the discussions will be entertaining

Oct 9, 2017, 12:06 PM

First off I enjoy your posts. Yes this team is far from perfect but there has been no controversy at the end of any of our games as to who the better team was. That's the one thing I appreciate the most about this year's team. We've got a long way to go and a lot of room to improve but this has been a great season so far:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some good, some bad. And do we have a QB controversy?***

Oct 9, 2017, 12:27 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some good, some bad. And do we have a QB controversy?***

Oct 9, 2017, 2:02 PM

There is no controversy, if KB can't go. HJ 1 and Copper still no 2. Simple

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic