Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 93
| visibility 1

Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days?

Jun 18, 2015, 10:40 AM

Shooting up schools and churches....heck movie theaters?

I am in my 40s. What the heck did our generation do different not to have these fools?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days?

Jun 18, 2015, 10:44 AM

It happened then also we just didn't have 24 hour news coverage to tell us about every awful thing that happened. In the early 1980's a teenager open fire at kids at an elementary school in greenwood, sc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it?

Jun 18, 2015, 10:45 AM

We did have nightly news. Wouldn't that make headlines even in the 80s?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it?

Jun 18, 2015, 10:49 AM

He's correct. The world is statistically safer than it has ever been, we just have 24/hr news coverage blasting the negative stuff all the time. This makes it seem like it is more prevalent than it actually is.

I believe that we are safer for sure...

Jun 18, 2015, 10:58 AM

I just don't remember lots of mass shootings.

Re: I believe that we are safer for sure...

Jun 18, 2015, 11:38 AM

how about charles manson?

Re: I believe that we are safer for sure...

Jun 18, 2015, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I believe that we are safer for sure... ]

Very true.

there was that dude in the tower

Jun 18, 2015, 7:46 PM [ in reply to I believe that we are safer for sure... ]

but we didn't have machine guns back then

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had machine guns over a 100 years ago***

Jun 19, 2015, 1:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's different from relative frequency of mass killings***

Jun 18, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's different from relative frequency of mass killings***

Jun 18, 2015, 12:52 PM

That's true.

Jun 18, 2015, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it? ]

Also in a world where social media is seemingly everywhere in the developed societies, word can spread across the country in a matter of seconds

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Tell that to the 60 million people that have fled their

Jun 19, 2015, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it? ]

homeland due to conflicts at home. Has nothing to do with 24 hr news.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2015, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it? ]

It did nationally for a day or two, but the national news was on for a half hour, they didn't talk about it 24 hours a day.

Jun 18, 2015, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Oh ok, maybe that's it. We just didn't hear about it? ]

We had the nightly news , limited as it was , but mostly what we heard about was Kennedy , King , Kennedy assassinations . Throw in the daily death count every day from Viet Nam (56 g.i.'s yesterday , 112 today ,34 the next and on and on ). They really did not have time on the 3 major networks .

Random shootings like these almost never happened...

Jun 18, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days? ]

before around 40 years ago. Even then, they didn't happen with much frequency until the late 80s or early 90s.

So it wasn't just that we didn't hear about this stuff, it just wasn't a thing that people did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Random shootings like these almost never happened...

Jun 18, 2015, 11:28 AM

Yeah they used to just hang them from a tree, so i reckon there would be a lot less.

ever hear of charles whitman?

Irrelevant post is irrelevant

Jun 18, 2015, 11:32 AM

I did not say that no random mass killings ever happened before the 70s. What I said is that they "almost never happened," and that the rate of random mass killings has gone up since then.

As horrible as racially motivated violence was, it wasn't random and isolated in the way the crimes we're talking about are.

Re: Irrelevant post is irrelevant

Jun 18, 2015, 12:17 PM

This is not a "random" killing. It's part of a long tradition of race based violence in this country, this state, and Charleston itself. The church has a history of being a target of race based violence.

I don't think this guy is really part of a live tradition

Jun 18, 2015, 4:29 PM

When churches were more frequently being threatened in the 60s, the political possibility of segregation and white supremacy was very real. There were large networks of violent racists who, if not supported by a lot of the white populace, were at least tolerated by them. That's not true anymore, and black churches haven't faced violence like this in 50 years. There aren't a bunch of people just waiting to do the same thing this guy did, and, if anything, 99% of white people are especially outraged by this because it has a chance to set back hard won victories in race relations. This is random in the sense that there's no viable movement connected to this.

You're right that this wasn't totally random in that he targeted a black church knowing that there would be a group of black people inside. However, he didn't have any real political goals, and it doesn't look like there was any reason he chose this specific church (other than that it was a black church).

Re: I don't think this guy is really part of a live tradition

Jun 18, 2015, 6:00 PM

> When churches were more frequently being threatened
> in the 60s, the political possibility of segregation
> and white supremacy was very real. There were large
> networks of violent racists who, if not supported by
> a lot of the white populace, were at least tolerated
> by them. That's not true anymore, and black churches
> haven't faced violence like this in 50 years. There
> aren't a bunch of people just waiting to do the same
> thing this guy did, and, if anything, 99% of white
> people are especially outraged by this because it has
> a chance to set back hard won victories in race
> relations. This is random in the sense that there's
> no viable movement connected to this.
>
> You're right that this wasn't totally random in that
> he targeted a black church knowing that there would
> be a group of black people inside. However, he didn't
> have any real political goals, and it doesn't look
> like there was any reason he chose this specific
> church (other than that it was a black church).

In 2013, the most recent year for which federal data is available, the FBI identified 3,563 victims of racially motivated hate crimes. Black victims constituted 66 percent of the total.

Jun 18, 2015, 7:44 PM

That may be accurate on the amount of black victims, but rarely does a black on white crime get designated a hate crime. None of this should take away the tragedy that happened in Charleston that is NOT a racially divided city

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 19, 2015, 3:53 PM

Have you considered the possibility that despite black on white crime being far more prevalent, there's a larger proportion of hate crimes that are white on black?

Of course Charleston is a racially divided city. The whole country is racially divided. It's only a question of to what degree.

Jun 19, 2015, 4:15 PM

Is it racially divided because there are poor sections of town and better affluent sections. Because both black and white live in both of those. Have you been to Charleston. I live here and I find Charleston to be a very welcoming and inclusive city to all ethnicities. Are their bigots, of course, they are on both sides of the aisle.

Jun 19, 2015, 4:42 PM

Of course it comes from both sides...but that just goes to prove my point. It's not a zero sum game in the sense that if we have X number of white bigots and Y number of black bigots then they wash clean...they're added together and contribute creating racial strife in the city.

Again, I'm not saying this is a Charleston problem. It's a problem everywhere in the the world. It's just a matter of how much. For the most part, I believe Charleston is a welcoming city, especially by South Carolina standards.

That's a misleading number, because blacks killing whites

Jun 19, 2015, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think this guy is really part of a live tradition ]

aren't classified as hate crimes nearly as often as vice versa. There are about 15 times the whites killed by blacks, as there are blacks killed by whites, they just aren't called hate crimes. Not making excuses, because there is no excuse for any of these murders, regardless of who committed them.

People are putting the hate crime stigma on this, but really, it's no different than Columbine, Sandy Hook or Va Tech. A mentally deranged idiot flips and does something totally asinine.

To top it off, Obama decides to blame it on the availability of guns. Truth is, if someone else in the church was packing, nine people would not have been killed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a misleading number, because blacks killing whites

Jun 21, 2015, 4:47 PM

> aren't classified as hate crimes nearly as often as
> vice versa. There are about 15 times the whites
> killed by blacks, as there are blacks killed by
> whites, they just aren't called hate crimes. Not
> making excuses, because there is no excuse for any of
> these murders, regardless of who committed them.
>
> People are putting the hate crime stigma on this, but
> really, it's no different than Columbine, Sandy Hook
> or Va Tech. A mentally deranged idiot flips and does
> something totally asinine.
>
> To top it off, Obama decides to blame it on the
> availability of guns. Truth is, if someone else in
> the church was packing, nine people would not have
> been killed.

Name some black on white hate crimes? Please, to hear you tell it there should be a long list of whites who were killed by blacks "because" they were white. The fact is that most white on black crime is money motivated, not racially motivated.

Jun 20, 2015, 10:11 PM [ in reply to I don't think this guy is really part of a live tradition ]

Yes he did have goals. To start a race war

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jun 18, 2015, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

This is absolutely absurd. Yes there was hangings and killings of blacks and others MORE than 60 or more years ago. Regardless whether people want to admit it or not we have come a long way since then. This is not the norm in society

Jun 18, 2015, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

You're incorrect..... mass killings are statistically in decline.

Also, most people don't know that this stuff existed even way back in the early 20th Century (Bath School disaster) with the dynamiting of an elementary school killing 38 kids....(see below)

The Bath School disaster was a series of violent attacks perpetrated by Andrew Kehoe on May 18, 1927, in Bath Township, Michigan, that killed 38 elementary school children and six adults and injured at least 58 other people.[Note 1] Kehoe first killed his wife, firebombed his farm, and detonated a major explosion in the Bath Consolidated School, before committing suicide by detonating a final explosion in his truck. It is currently the deadliest mass murder to take place at a school in United States history.[1][2]

Jun 18, 2015, 11:50 AM

Cam doesn't do well with facts.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says one of the dumbest posters on all of tnet

Jun 18, 2015, 12:02 PM

-

My post wasn't about mass killings

Jun 18, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

And I did know that the Bath School disaster was the largest (mostly) random mass killing we've had in the US.

What I was talking about is the relatively new phenomenon of isolated individuals (or couples, in the case of Columbine) people going out and killing groups of people at random. Of course, a lot of that depends on how you define "random."

Ancient history is full of stories of "random killing."

Jun 18, 2015, 5:38 PM

Shi Huangdi (Chinese Emperor)
The Assyrians
The Mongols
The Vikings
The Romans
The Gauls
The Aztecs

What we are experiencing is the 24/7 news in-your-face news coverage. Sadly this is nothing new.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/23/justice/random-killings/

http://listverse.com/2012/05/30/top-10-evil-people-from-ancient-times/

There's something in these hills.

Jun 18, 2015, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

when I was in high school in the 60's in fall and winter lots of guys had shotguns (including me) and rifles in our cars at school. At lunch a lot of times we'd be showing what we had to principal. None of us ever considered taking it into school. We knew we'd get a beating at school and another one when we got home. We were taught about guns and the value of human life, none of which is taught anymore.

You seriously believe that humanism isn't taught anymore?

Jun 18, 2015, 5:40 PM

Maybe it's a higher threat of a beating that we need in today's society.

exactly***

Jun 19, 2015, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

Wat?

Jun 18, 2015, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

Violence has been around since the beginning of time. "Random shootings" most certainly didn't just start 40 years ago. Matter of fact gun violence is down.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

St Valentines day massacre***

Jun 18, 2015, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Random shootings like these almost never happened... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

boomtown rats' "i don't like mondays" is about a school

Jun 18, 2015, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days? ]

shooting in CA in 1979. yeah. no social media.

What ever it is we need to figure it out.***

Jun 18, 2015, 10:44 AM

Jun 18, 2015, 10:58 AM

Drugs. The Rx kind, not the grown kind...

Jun 18, 2015, 11:00 AM

Some people say it was caused by cutting funding to mental health services and closing mental health hospitals. All of these mass shooters turn out to be mentally ill guys who got no help.

Jun 18, 2015, 12:20 PM

How about we consider the fact that there is a strong tradition of white supremacy in this country? It used to be the law of the land, then it was the de facto law of the land. Now we have people like this taking what they see as the natural order into their own hands. Seems like those are more likely causes than "mental illness." We'll always have mental illness, but it is our society and our history which plays an important role in which direction those with mental illnesses act. And as far as I can tell there is no evidence that this guy was mentally ill.

Sorry, but the evidence of him being mentally ill

Jun 19, 2015, 12:09 PM

is that he believed committing mass murder was a viable course of action

Re: Sorry, but the evidence of him being mentally ill

Jun 19, 2015, 4:52 PM

So once we deem someone to be mentally ill, we ignore whatever their motivation might be?

I hate to get on the side of the Far Left, but whenever there's a killing like Charlie Hebdo, we deem it the actions of a horrible religion which hates freedom. Now that a white kid wearing white supremacist badges on his jacket has gone in and slaughtered 9 innocent black folks while previously advertising his desire to start a race war, many people here are saying "well shucks, he was just a little weird in the head is all."

So if there's some insane Muslims who kill innocents, we condemn the entire religion. If a white supremacist kills innocents...awwwww c'mon, he was just a nut!

You don't sound like someone on the far left.

Jun 20, 2015, 9:49 PM

You sound like someone with your finger right on the pulse of this. No reason to apologize....it is the truth.

Re: You don't sound like someone on the far left.

Jun 20, 2015, 10:30 PM

haha thanks bud!

No problem.

Jun 21, 2015, 12:19 AM

I am perplexed how anyone could come to any other conclusion but racism for why this monster did this. He spelled it out quite clearly yet you do have people out there still "woah, woah, woah, let's not make this about race!" Uh, okay.

Re: No problem.

Jun 21, 2015, 12:37 AM

People don't realize how bad it looks when they go into self-preservation mode so soon after a tragedy. Within a couple of hours, people were complaining about the "race baiting" and how "they're going to come after our guns". It's sad.

Jun 18, 2015, 11:02 AM

Better home training.

> I am in my 40s. What the heck did our generation do
> different not to have these fools?

Jun 18, 2015, 5:37 PM

We got our ### whipped! These kids don't. Today's Society has screwed that all up!

Well whose fault is that?

Jun 19, 2015, 12:14 PM

I'll give you a hint. It's not mine. The generation born in the 50s, 60s, and 70s are to blame if you wanna go that route. They're the one controlling most of the government and raising these kids. So if you wanna go that route and find who to blame, look in the mirror.

Jun 18, 2015, 11:03 AM

I firmly place the blame on SpongeBob

Not all kids had GTA to play to release their violent

Jun 18, 2015, 11:04 AM

tendencies like we did. Some kids were poor and had to take assault weapons from their homes and GTA it up in real life. The struggle is real.

Re: Not all kids had GTA to play to release their violent

Jun 18, 2015, 11:07 AM

What is GTA? And i hope your comments are sarcastic.

It starts in the living room. Parents, spend time with your

Jun 18, 2015, 11:06 AM

children!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It starts in the living room. Parents, spend time with your

Jun 18, 2015, 5:23 PM

Your point is dead on accurate. This kid wasn't born with the racial hatred he has. It came from his environment. Unfortunately, reports are that his dad gave him a 45 cal. handgun for his birthday.

Jun 18, 2015, 11:06 AM

I guess he realized he wasn't going to be a great man like Thomas Edison or George Washington.

I suppose someone should have told him being born white in America is about as good as it gets. He obviously squandered his advantages.

It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation

Jun 18, 2015, 11:09 AM

Things started becoming morally decayed among the youth when the US Government did two things.

1. They took prayer away from school. Banned the use of the studies of Christ. Well, all of that was replaced by Teen Pregnancy and Firearms.

2. The US Government replaced spankings with time out in the homes all across America. They have even made it to where if you are spanked by your parents or disciplined too harshly then you could merely report them at your school. Your parents are then simply arrested and charged for child abuse, and a wide variety of other charges...

Bring Prayer and Discipline back and this will all start residing a great deal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Amen!***

Jun 18, 2015, 11:33 AM

Re: It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation

Jun 18, 2015, 5:37 PM [ in reply to It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation ]

> Things started becoming morally decayed among the
> youth when the US Government did two things.
>
> 1. They took prayer away from school. Banned the use
> of the studies of Christ. Well, all of that was
> replaced by Teen Pregnancy and Firearms.
>
> 2. The US Government replaced spankings with time out
> in the homes all across America. They have even made
> it to where if you are spanked by your parents or
> disciplined too harshly then you could merely report
> them at your school. Your parents are then simply
> arrested and charged for child abuse, and a wide
> variety of other charges...
>
> Bring Prayer and Discipline back and this will all
> start residing a great deal.

That is a common misconception. The Government didn't "take" prayer out of school. As a matter of fact the school cannot prevent prayer in school. That prayer simply cannot be "led" or "sponsored" by government employees (teachers or administration). Any student or group of students ability to pray in school is, in fact, constitutionally protected. While government employees may not sponsor prayer, they also are forbidden from stopping students from prayer as long as it doesn't disrupt the school. I know of several student led prayer groups at our local high school.

Re: It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation

Jun 19, 2015, 3:40 PM

Also, it is not against the law to spank children as long as you do not leave marks on the child.

What is wrong with kids today is PARENTS. They choose not to discipline. They choose to let technology raise their kids. They choose to rewarded the good things (things that kids should be expected to do anyway). They give too many warnings and don't follow up. I guess I was a mean parent, when I said do something or no, I meant to do it now. If not, there was a consequence right then, not 10 warnings later. Parents choose to stay on their own electronics and not spend time with their children. There are not many family meals together..a time to talk and listen. There are too many grandparents raising kids today. The list goes on and on....

Also, IMO, racism is taught in the home. When kids first start attending school or daycare...they don't care what color skin someone has..unless they have taught to hate. They just play together and get along. Kids are not born racist.

Correct.***

Jun 18, 2015, 5:37 PM [ in reply to It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation ]

You're implying that this generation is any different than

Jun 18, 2015, 5:45 PM [ in reply to It's not the kids' fault in the younger generation ]

the one's before it. That is clearly false.

And prayer hasn't gone anywhere in schools. Do officials get on the intercom and pray out loud? No. Do students pray on their own? Yes. Teachers and other faculty members? Yes. Events such as FCA meetings, before/after school Bible studies, See You At the Pole gatherings still take place. Many schools, especially here in the Bible Belt, still have student led prayer before sporting events and graduations. Prayer and religion are still very much alive in public schools.

https://www.au.org/resources/publications/prayer-and-the-public-schools

Jun 18, 2015, 11:30 AM

You can ask the same question about some people who are in the 40's to 60's.

There are no easy answers for mental illness.

Jun 18, 2015, 12:05 PM

For kids like this, it goes waaaaay beyond poor parenting; something is wrong on a very deep level. It's either genetic, or there has been some kind of serious trauma.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: There are no easy answers for mental illness.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:08 AM

Facebook instagram blogs etc create an environment where people feel important build up rage as they hide from human contact and say things they would not have the balls to say to someone in person Add to that a generation of kids that whine and moan about every little perceived injustice against them like cyber bullying and you have a volatle mixture

Re: There are no easy answers for mental illness.

Jun 21, 2015, 5:05 PM [ in reply to There are no easy answers for mental illness. ]

Having ###### parenting can be pretty traumatizing, it's just not the kind of trauma where you realize you are being traumatized like if you were molested. It's a long con trauma

Jun 18, 2015, 12:18 PM

How about put a little blame on the idiot father who decided to give this piece of trash a gun.

null

Not just the gun...

Jun 19, 2015, 2:27 PM

daddy was probably the one who filled his head with "black men are takin' all our wimmens."

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

surely his parents had a clue he was unstable. Why give him a gun?

Jun 18, 2015, 2:07 PM

I am not anti gun and own one myself. But I am a parent and the thing I would give one of my kids with the slightest hint of mental issues would be a gun.

meant last thing I would give them

Jun 18, 2015, 2:08 PM

Nm

Jun 18, 2015, 5:20 PM

Columbine says hello....

You failed to raise them right.***

Jun 18, 2015, 5:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You seem "Shocked and Awed"... Maybe he was, too...***

Jun 18, 2015, 7:11 PM

Jun 18, 2015, 7:16 PM

It is the same sickness within humankind throughout the ages. I would venture to say that we are more aware and less violent than we were in the past. We just hear about it more now.

Jun 18, 2015, 7:19 PM

I don't know who has failed this generation, but there are some serious social issues all around. That a young man could sit in a church sanctuary for an hour and pray with these people and then randomly kill them is unfathonable. Him spouting hate about the violence of blacks and then picking a church smh

It's not new at all. Just school shootings alone.

Jun 18, 2015, 7:50 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Got your butt spanked for doing stupid

Jun 18, 2015, 8:54 PM

stuff that kids do? Like Sinbad said when he was growing up,if you did something bad you got a whipping from every neighbor you passed by the time you got home. And you better believe that mama and papa already knew what you did so don't even try to lie! Mayhaps parents should go back to parenting instead of trying to be their kid's best buddy?Just a thought.

Jun 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

Kids today are more self entitled and self serving than at any other point in history. Many times, this behavior is instilled and enabled by parents who teach them no personal responsibility.

Besides, to hear the anti- gun liberal lunatics tell it, that gun just walked into the church on its own and started firing. A friend of mine said, "This is why we need to get rid of ALL guns!" The kid's (young man actually) responsibility for his actions will be all but forgotten in the media circus. This will eventually turn into another "blame the guns" circus. This is just my opinion and prediction.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. What a horrible event.

Jun 21, 2015, 4:54 PM

> Kids today are more self entitled and self serving
> than at any other point in history. Many times, this
> behavior is instilled and enabled by parents who
> teach them no personal responsibility.
>
> Besides, to hear the anti- gun liberal lunatics tell
> it, that gun just walked into the church on its own
> and started firing. A friend of mine said, "This is
> why we need to get rid of ALL guns!" The kid's (young
> man actually) responsibility for his actions will be
> all but forgotten in the media circus. This will
> eventually turn into another "blame the guns" circus.
> This is just my opinion and prediction.
>
> My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.
> What a horrible event.

A Quote to consider:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. The Quote is Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Jun 19, 2015, 11:20 AM

The biggest problem is that the parents now a days are all on some kind of pill. All they care about is getting their pills. Kids are not being raised right any more the kids watch what the parents do.

Jun 19, 2015, 2:10 PM

In short- this country has been steadily moving away from God. I'm not saying that church goers do not break the law or commit crimes at times, but those who grow up in a loving, caring environment and learn to respect and love others no matter what are way less likely to have these thoughts in their head.

And no, you don't have to attend church to be a good person. It just helps.

Just my .02.

I doubt this was the first time the kid entered a church.

Jun 19, 2015, 2:28 PM

I

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worth a lot more than 2 cents. Took God out of the

Jun 19, 2015, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously, what the heck is wrong with kids these days? ]

schools and has been going downhill every since with no end in sight.

we grew up in a time before the NRA decided it was God's

Jun 19, 2015, 4:24 PM

Will that crazy people have access to handguns with high-capacity magazines. Imagine how different the Charleston massacre would have been if it were perpetrated by someone who had pull a hammer back on a six-shooter.

I sure hate posting this but in fairness...

Jun 19, 2015, 4:29 PM

This is our gen and also a local event for me:
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/recalling-south-carolinas-1988-school-shooting/Content?oid=4288005

There have always been kids with mental problems

Jun 19, 2015, 4:47 PM

and living on the edge of society. Outcasts. But this kid isn't insane. And he should fry.

Besides, everyone knows it is the

Jun 20, 2015, 1:19 PM

confederate flag's fault now. To hear many media outlets tell it, that flag must have talked those guns into walking into the church and firing randomly. No human interaction necessary. (I'm being extremely sarcastic of course).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/us/charleston-shooting-reignites-debate-about-confederate-flag.html

Get ready for everything except the shooter to be blamed and discussed. It has begun.

It has always happened. More people+more news = you hear

Jun 20, 2015, 1:23 PM

about it more often.

One other difference is that some anti-depressants (SSRI's) turn about 1% of their users into sociopathic murder-suicide time-bombs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2015, 1:35 PM

Things are different now. Something is certainly missing.
When I was in public school we took pride in our country. Some of that pride seemed to die during the Viet Nam war but was resurrected during the Regan years and immediately following 9/11. When I was in school elementary schools said the pledge and no one called aclu if your prayer offended someone. You just went on about your business.

I believe when they made public schools more secular we became less tolerant , which opposite of what it was for.
Now we've become to pc for our own good and have allowed more problems .

Many thought we put racism, and religious intolerance behind us instead of at the forefront.

We certainly lack leadership among other things.

Jun 20, 2015, 1:39 PM

Parents that taught us right from wrong and had us at church every Sunday!

Jun 20, 2015, 8:57 PM

This is what is wrong with kids in America today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131858/Charleston-killer-Dylann-Roof-grew-fractured-home-violent-father-beat-stepmother-hired-private-detective-follow-split-claims-court-papers.html

It is just one screwed up broken family situation after another.

Replies: 93
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic