Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The writing has been on the wall - just now understanding
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

The writing has been on the wall - just now understanding

May 21, 2012, 11:22 PM

I have been watching all the threads - been to every blog / website concerning conference affiliation for the past year or so, and I have been scared to death that Clemson would be on the outside looking in. I heard all of the SEC rumours and was terribly disappointed about their choices other than Clemson.. Now it is the BIG12...

A buddy came by my office today and we started talking football - we both had a realization, and came up with a few good points that we have both been hearing - just not in thee same place. It actually more of a timeline...

We believe there has been more behind the scenes work than actually seems to have been happening, and for longer than one would be led to believe. Everyone talks about Notre Dame and the Rose Bowl stopping the playoff train from ever leaving the station - its always something you just cant seem to get around. Now that the pressure has built up from the general population, the BCS powers to be seem like they are waivering ever so slightly and we may get some type of playoff - but you still have to appease ND.

The only way to force their hand is to force a conference championship style playoff. that would force them to align themselves in the 4 conferences somewhere. I do think that there has been some uncertainties for sure, but I do feel like the SEC, the BIG 12, and several ACC teams have been working on what we are now seeing taking place for some time. If you follow the trail it makes sense:

Clemson hires top OC from BIG12 area

SEC makes moves and adds Missouri and A&M
Nebraska and Colorodo bolt
TCU and Boise State run to Big East
ACC flounders and adds Pitt and OrangeMen
BIG12 steals TCU and pulls WV

all is quiet, we watch two NCG's in one year
Clemson gets a$$ handed to itself by WV
Clemson hires top DC from Big12 area
ACC ups conference buy out (scared??)

South Carolina lawmakers pass legislation to ensure Clemson/Carolina game is played every year (where exactly does that come from??)

shortly after Clemson/Georgia up buy out of game significantly for 2013 game

ACC TV contract is completed

SEC / BIG12 formally enter into a "partnership" (bowl game)

FSU makes statements / rumblings

rumours that Clemson has been talking since last season

rumours that SEC takes VT and NC State

rumours that BIG12 takes FSU and Clemson (2013)(this make you wonder exactly what was the gentleman's agreement everyone was referring to. Was it really SC and FL agreement or a SEC/BIG12 agreement??)

ND now in picture - starting to see their hand forced

Rose Bowl still in the picture with PAC-12 / B1G 10

New bowl Game now Viable "playoff game" with Rose Bowl

If your not in the 2 games, your out (ND comes running to the table)

BCS no longer viable / Conferences manage the playoff and all TV rights including NCG (split between conferences represented)

I always wondered why there was only a 4-team playoff. ACC doesn't have enough clout to stop it and will eventually crumble (cue inflated buy-out)

All major football schools eventually migrate to some conference, with basketball just along for the ride since it is a true playoff anyway with no bias.

Notre Dame no longer an issue
Rose Bowl remains important along with PAC-12/B1G10
SEC/BIG12 come to the recue of college football
BCS system is squashed as it should be

Clemson and FSU make it to a true Power Football conference, along with ND and one more school

All Major conferences make it to 16 teams, 8 teams to a division, 4 games out of conference, win division, win conference, win 4 game playoff, win NCG.....Simple

Go Tigers

PS- this is of course my theory only - from what information I have gathered from other rumours and theories out there, so please do come bashing me and asking me for a link - you already clicked it....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The writing has been on the wall - just now understanding

May 21, 2012, 11:25 PM

Ritalin?

May 21, 2012, 11:39 PM

gay?

One thing you forgot and I knew then..................

May 21, 2012, 11:27 PM

When Clemson formed this advisory committee. You don't do that to decide where to paint new Tiger Paws. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing you forgot and I knew then..................

May 21, 2012, 11:39 PM

I knew there was one really big waving red flag that I forgot - thanks

Re: One thing you forgot and I knew then..................

May 22, 2012, 2:01 AM [ in reply to One thing you forgot and I knew then.................. ]

Well I surely hope they will be painted down I-20 all the way to I-10. Just follow the Tiger Paw road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think one error in your post is

May 22, 2012, 12:13 AM

that even though legislation was proposed to have Clemson/USC play every year, that legislation was never passed.

http://www.southcarolinaradionetwork.com/2012/02/09/legislators-toss-out-bill-requiring-clemson-usc-rivalry-to-continue/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I think one error in your post is

May 22, 2012, 1:06 AM

WOW - I was completely under the impression it had passed!!! Sounds like we need to more than ever. Thanks for the info

May 22, 2012, 2:08 AM [ in reply to I think one error in your post is ]

I was going to inform him of the same thing until I read at the end that it was just theories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 6:21 AM [ in reply to I think one error in your post is ]

I thought that there was already a law on the books requiring Clemson & SC to play every year in football. It goes back to the days when both schools were in the same conference.

It seems that only the league champion could go to a bowl. Clemson was not the champion, but was invited to and went to a bowl anyway. The conference prohibited Clemson from playing any members unless required to by law.

The story goes that the SC lawmakers passed the law requiring the 2 schools to play every year in record time. (15 minutes)

May 22, 2012, 7:32 AM

I believe that law was passed, but only for a specific time frame i.e. 1 year, maybe 2. And it was to override the SoCon's prohibitions as you mentioned.

May 22, 2012, 12:19 AM

Can we talk about conference realignment? I've been dying to talk to you all day about conference realignment.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic