Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "walk" that wasn't last night - explained
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 51

The "walk" that wasn't last night - explained

May 8, 2018, 2:23 PM

I've seen a few people asking about the crazy play that happened last night during Clemson's win over FSU. I meant to post this last night and just forgot. In the fifth, FSU catcher Cal Raleigh came to the plate with the chance to do some damage. The Clemson coaches indicated to catcher Kyle Wilkie that they wanted to walk Raleigh, which isn't surprising. Here is where it gets strange....

Home plate umpire Morris Hodges, who had a night to forget, saw this and simply pointed Raleigh to first. In MLB this year, teams don't have to throw four pitches, they can point a player to first. Apparently, Hodges thought he was in MLB and allowed Raleigh to take first without a pitch.

Of course, FSU head coach Mike Martin was having none of it, and once the umpiring crew realized they were in Clemson and not New York, they pointed Raleigh back to the plate. He then had to reattach all of his hitting braces and guards, and the Clemson coaches made it even stranger by then deciding to pitch to him. He walked on a 3-2 count.

It was shortly after this that what I can only assume was an NCAA official came into the press box and had a special set up where he could watch everything. I am sure Hodges will hear about the bad night.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you don't know the answer, but does that umpire

May 8, 2018, 2:29 PM

perhaps also umpire minor league baseball, high school, NAIA or in some other league that actually HAS the "no-throw"-type intentional walk?

That, IMO would be his ONLY acceptable excuse for doing that. I do believe some lower levels of college baseball has this rule. Maybe his mental lapse was caused by temporarily forgetting what league he was officiating.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure you don't know the answer, but does that umpire

May 8, 2018, 9:17 PM

I can tell you.

They are normally regional umpires with limited experience to umpiring American Legion games and high school games...During the week they are normally mechanics and construction workers....probably washed up ball players themselves. College umpiring is absolutely embarrassing to the umpiring profession.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Almost as bizarre as his moving strike zone

May 8, 2018, 2:31 PM

Nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Almost as bizarre as his moving strike zone

May 8, 2018, 3:37 PM

and/or the strange slow walk he took to have a somewhat lenghty chat w fsu pitcher, smiling and joking, then returning to brush off the plate while joking around w the catcher. Strange stuff all night. Was he high ? serious question

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Almost as bizarre as his moving strike zone

May 8, 2018, 4:13 PM

the "strange walk and talk to the pitcher was because the catcher had been hit in the groin- it is common for the umpire to waste some time to let him recover. the smiling was probably because the catcher said something funny about it.

The next pitch was a HR, so whatever he said...thanks.***

May 8, 2018, 4:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: The "walk" that wasn't last night - explained

May 8, 2018, 2:40 PM

talked to a buddy that umpires college baseball and explained what happened. he said the home plate ump, who was awful at best, would get a good talking to by his superiors. can anyone remember a worse crew for a big time series. i know of at least 4 plays that had to be reviewed, 3 of which were overturned. and the 4th would have been had they had a better camera angle.

You're exactly right deroberts! Hopefully

May 8, 2018, 3:02 PM

Next time there is a big time series like this on national tv the conference will provide a better crew!

Glad they came in with the ACC's NCIS crew...ump behind

May 8, 2018, 2:52 PM

the plate was awful. He'd make a terrible call and then make another terrible call to make up for the original terrible call. Like that Monty jumped down his throat early in the game.

I think Higgy had Wilkie and the Ump off kilter; it never got better for the ump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't expect this guy to get selected for the umpire........

May 8, 2018, 2:59 PM

crew at the CWS in Omaha this year.

May 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

This is a problem in baseball. Why not play MLB rules in High school and collegiate sports? I coach High School baseball and one would think you were playing little league with all the stupid ticky tac rules that are in the rule book. Baseball is baseball. The strike zone doesn't change from league to league. It's still letters to the knees on either corner!

May 8, 2018, 3:31 PM

Baseball is hardly the only sport that plays with different rules in college than they do in the pros.

Being down in college football vs being down by contact in the pros.

One foot in bounds for a catch in college vs two feet in the pros.

1 and 1 after 7 fouls in a half for college vs no 1 and 1s in the pros.

5 fouls to be disqualified in college hoops vs 6 fouls to be disqualified in the pros.

I could go on and on, but these are just a few examples to show you that the difference in rules between college and the pros is not isolated to baseball.

null

May 8, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: The "walk" that wasn't last night - explained ]

Thank you Mr. Hood.

I really hope we see in the near future a change to technology that would allow D1 baseball to have balls and strikes called automatically. Still have to have an ump behind the plate for other reasons (hit batter etc) but he/she could certainly get the relay from the camera on strikes and balls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2018, 3:46 PM

As long as we are discussing "The Bizarre"... Riddle me THIS, Batman...The field is the same in length, width and possible the "breadth" and depth... in football, soccer,billiards, snooker,badmitten(sp),womens beach volleyball (yum)..practically EVERY sport on this crazy planet...BUT BASEBALL...Roger Maris hit 61 homers into a 290' right field in Yankee Stadium..Mr. Curious wants to know why the outfield is not uniform for baseball...thanks and i'll hang up ......

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mr. "Doesn't Matter"...

May 8, 2018, 4:45 PM

Greene's HR would have been out of ANY park.

He was definitely MLB last night

May 8, 2018, 3:47 PM

Major League Blind

Home Plate Ump was bad all right.

May 8, 2018, 4:41 PM

However, he could have easily called a ball on the 3-2 count with FSU having the bases loaded in the 7th.

Re: Home Plate Ump was bad all right.

May 8, 2018, 5:28 PM

One of the ""make-up"" calls mentioned -- pitches before that were better.and he called ball ??

Officiating in the ACC has been pathetic for decades...

May 8, 2018, 5:35 PM

in pretty much EVERY sport and that's because there is no accountability.

The league won't do anything to Hodges and he will continue to absolutely suck as an umpire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

We don't need

May 8, 2018, 6:28 PM

No stinkin' rules.????

Replies: 20
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic