Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I rarely criticize Dabo, but I had a few problems
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

I rarely criticize Dabo, but I had a few problems

Oct 7, 2012, 10:57 AM

with yesterday. I didn't like kicking field goals in a horse race. Arguments can be made either way so that can slide and we won anyway. If he'll admit it's because we never gain a yard in that situation then he was thinking properly.

I don't like having 30 seconds left and timeouts in the half and taking a knee. With our offense and the way the game was going at that point, totally worth taking a shot down the field or at least getting the ball to any of 3 playmakers to see what they can do before calling it a half. We also have a kicker who made a 61 yarder and had the wind at our backs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100% on the knee at half situation

Oct 7, 2012, 10:59 AM

no reason not to try to score again with two timeouts left. A couple of decent passes and it sets up for a field goal, bust one and you get a TD. No reason not to give it a shot instead of running out the clock,. Especially since GT got the ball second half.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 things...

Oct 7, 2012, 11:02 AM

1. We won the game, in ultimately convincing fashion, due to coaching.

2. When you're 4 yards away from the endzone, and getting any kind of points is paramount, you kick the FG.

3. There 24 seconds left in the half, not 30. We had 2 timeouts. I'm like you in that I was kind of hoping we would push for FG, but at the same time, if Tahj throws a INT there, momentum is gone and folks (perhaps rightfully so) go nuts saying we were to aggressive.

4. We won a critical game against team who has dominated us over the years. Due to coaching.

All valid reasons, point for you

Oct 7, 2012, 11:06 AM

Winning makes all decisions correct!

If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked

Oct 7, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to 4 things... ]

off back in GT territory, it doesn't really matter. That kind of thing is pretty routine, and i don't see any kind of momentum swing coming from a play like that.

Re: If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked

Oct 7, 2012, 11:10 AM

what about a qb sack resulting in a fumble?

When is the last time that happened?***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:17 AM

Re: When is the last time that happened?***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:21 AM

not sure...im just glad it didnt happen yesterday lol

Happens a lot more often when a QB is trying to buy a few

Oct 7, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to When is the last time that happened?*** ]

more seconds to get WRs downfield b/c he only has 20 some seconds to get 40 plus yards and the defense is sending pressure.

That's why you call a max-protect

Oct 7, 2012, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked ]

Two read at most pass.

Once pressure comes he either chucks it deep or goes down protecting the ball. No hero plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well yeah if you're talking about a one play situation where

Oct 7, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked ]

we heave it down field, then changes the scenario a little. But what if we throw a 15-20 yard pass, and it's intercepted and returned deep into our territory with ~15 seconds left? That gives GT a great change to score and certainly grab momentum at the half, along with receiving the ball in the 2nd half. For one, there'd be dozens of internet coaches jumping on here today talking about how stupid Dabo is.

It just comes down to trusting Boyd to make good decisions.

Oct 7, 2012, 11:19 AM

I would expect GT to play deep in that situation and give away the 5-10 yard stuff underneath, so it would probably take either a terrible read or a terrible throw to get the ball picked off in that range.

Re: If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked

Oct 7, 2012, 5:31 PM [ in reply to If it's a 30-40 yard shot down the field and it gets picked ]

Miami took one into scoring position in 2010. Since then, I haven't really been bothered by taking the knee

I think the problem with the two possessions where we kicked

Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM [ in reply to 4 things... ]

fieldgoals inside the 10 were not with the 4th down decision, but with executing the plays called on the previous downs. If it's 4th and 4, you kick. I do think you take a couple of LONG shots at the end of the half and see what the wide outs can do. I agree that INT would be a worry, so go long and take it's implications out of the picture. If you are worried about punting, then take two long shots and then run on 3rd down and kill the clock. They had no timeouts. At least give the playmakers a chance.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 and 4 not valid.

Oct 7, 2012, 5:24 PM [ in reply to 4 things... ]

We didn't know outcome at that point.

Take logics course to understand better. (If C happens, then A is justified, etc)

Re: I rarely criticize Dabo, but I had a few problems

Oct 7, 2012, 11:04 AM

i understand where your coming from and im kind of on the fence on that call but you have to think if Clemson turns that ball over and somehow GT gets a score before half...all the momentum shifts to GT...plus they get it when the 2nd half starts...it worked out in the end

Disagree on the FGs, but i completely agree with the

Oct 7, 2012, 11:04 AM

halftime kneel. We were only ~35 yards away from being able to try a long fg, and we had time to run 3-4 plays. With Sammy and Nuk on the field, why not give them a chance to make a play?

I think the goal was to get into half and make adjustments

Oct 7, 2012, 11:45 AM

You don't want to risk a turnover just before the half and give them momentum

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2012, 11:05 AM

where the ball was before half there was really no need in making a mistake and letting them get a cheap score before the half. Kicking the fg when it was forth and goal at the 3 was the right call, easy to say go for it in the stands but that was the right call at that time.

Exactly, get it in field goal range at least

our kicking game is on!

two pluses

none of these "caused" us a game and if misatkes were made it was no ones "fought"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won by 16 guys. Dabo knows what hes doing.***

I'd usually disagree with you about the near-half situation

Oct 7, 2012, 11:07 AM

In most games, back inside your own 30, with just 30 seconds left I'd probably take a knee as well because more bad stuff could happen then good stuff in my estimation.

However, against GT, who had no Time Outs and hadn't really shown the quick-strike attack on the previous drive could handle an under 30 second drive... I probably would've lined up and taken one max-protect play. Probably only two men deep and the throw being sent 30 or 40 yards downfield.

It would've been worth a shot as the potential downside would've been considerably lower than in most games.

Now, I totally agreed with Dabo's FG calls yesterday. I think you have to take the points in a game like yesterday where points would pile up. Now 4th and goal from the 1 or something like that, and you may consider it, but 4th and goal from the 3 or 4? Nope, take the points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won by 16 guys. Dabo knows what hes doing.***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:08 AM

LOL...I rarely criticize as long as we're winning. When not,

Oct 7, 2012, 11:08 AM

I'm probably the best armchair HC that I know...the problem being, of course, that no one else really gives a d@mn!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Valid points, and Dabo has shown guts in previous games

Oct 7, 2012, 11:09 AM

I retract my statement. We'd be debating this if we lost by three. Maybe he knew the D was going to step it up.

We just Beat GT by 16 points........

Oct 7, 2012, 11:12 AM

In case you didn't notice, they have owned us.

I have no problem with taking the knee. When you have a FG kicker that is most likely an All American, you use him. Keeping GT close and letting our offense explode on GT's gassed defense was only a matter of time as long as we kept it close. I remember how comforting it was having guys like Obed, Iggy, Treadwell that was there when you needed them in the clutch.

Offensively I think we were pretty freaking solid. The running backs didn't kill us with fumbles and when Tajh had his picks they defense help us.

The best part of the game was when Clemson's offense grounded out the lat 4-5 minutes of the game like CPJ does and the GT defense couldn't stop us....with going in for the TD instead of taking a knee was the fitting end.

No complaints from here.....

Message was edited by: The FIGHTINGDABOS®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

The stop for the safety was something our defense needed.***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The stop for the safety was something our defense needed.***

Oct 7, 2012, 11:32 AM

Yes Ma'am!!! That was awesome and really made me proud of their not giving up!!!

Clemson Soldier

I think it's a fair question...

Oct 7, 2012, 11:13 AM

Honestly, the way the game was going in the first half, three more points at halftime would have been a nice additional cushion.

The FGs inside the 5 are iffy, but it's part of the larger philosophy: get those points and come back for more later.

But I'm puzzled by the call at the end of the 1st half. I'm guessing a lot of folks are.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had a 30-21 lead that pretty much put the game away

Oct 7, 2012, 11:14 AM

Take an FG away and they still have a shot. Thing is if we go and don't make it, you have the Blue Cootie type on here bashing for not taking the points

Like I said last night

Oct 7, 2012, 11:51 AM

I was kinda wanting them to take a shot too, but when you're pressing for yards with little time in your own territory usually more bad happens than good. Even if you do manage to get 40 yards in 20 seconds you're still looking at a long FG that's no gimme for points.

With the way the game was playing out and with GT getting the ball to start the 2nd half there was no need to spoil momentum. The last thing you wanted was a fluke TO or something that allowed GT to seize the momentum going in the locker room. Going into the half with the lead and making a big stop keeps the players heads right where you want them.

Sure we were moving the ball fine, but we weren't doing it with extra large chunks and only having 24 seconds to do it. If you've watched enough football then you've seen people pay for being greedy time and time again!
To me rolling the dice for 3 more points was far too risky for too little of a payoff.

As for the FGs, I think in a game like that it's all about getting points. Greed is never good. I think GT showed us that. They were moving the ball just as good as we were and decided to go for it a couple times on 4th down when they could've taken then points. They gambled and lost every time. Then when we got our break on the safety all of the sudden it was a 2 score game and the game completely changed after that. You take away our FGs and give them the ones they could've had and then what's the score? Take the points when you get them!

Re: Like I said last night

Oct 7, 2012, 3:32 PM

Not to mention all the crazy crap that has happened in past games with this team. Remember the fluffed snap over the kickers head a few years back or, or, ... you name it, There have been too many things that were unlikely to happen that did happen to be taking chances

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2012, 4:48 PM

and did you see the score???

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic