Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The reason most athletes have skillz ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

The reason most athletes have skillz ...

Mar 21, 2019, 10:08 AM

Is because their parents and/or grandparents do ... pure genetics. Speed, strength, quick-twitch are primarily genetic predispositions and heredity. It’s true the kids who don’t work hard will not make it big in the long run - but most kids are genetically disqualified at birth by their parents’ DNA from becoming a college or professional athlete. Kudos to the young men and ladies who overcome their DNA through hard work & training to become youth and high school stand-outs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The reason most athletes have skillz ...

Mar 21, 2019, 10:15 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Mar 21, 2019, 10:26 AM

ok, sure but...

My brother, father, cousins, aunts & uncles on both sides of the family played college sports. VT, VCU, UNC, NC State, UT, other DIII schools. Some still coach college ball. I was lucky to be the back-up bencher and had to hustle like heck just in high school to watch. Heck, I was likely only on the team to make sure my more talented little brother was at practice and had a ride home. Athletic enough but not a college sport level except a weak D3 school.

That being said, I was the first to have someone pay for school not via a ball and earn the Ph.D. Thank you President Baker for the top 20 push and investment into paying for post-grad degrees.

Genetics is a crap-shoot. Might make it more likely but not an guarantee. Then you have the case when god spills the ingredients, bakes it at the wrong temp, and ends up with me. Academic in an athletic family.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 11:00 AM

Job well done ... looks like you recvd your fair share of ingredients. All great points. Good luck ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, after reading that, I'd definitely say

Mar 21, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: The reason most athletes have skillz ... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Wow, after reading that, I'd definitely say

Mar 21, 2019, 9:01 PM

Wait, I never went to Tech!

But yea, I make a lot of graphs.

Maybe you should have a serious talk with your mother?***

Mar 21, 2019, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: The reason most athletes have skillz ... ]

Mar 21, 2019, 11:14 AM

I think you are 50% correct.

All three things you mentioned (speed, strength, and quick twitch) can be improved or lost based on the work ethic of an athlete.

Strength can be improved more than the other 2 based on what an athlete does in training.

In terms of making it to the college or professional level strictly because of genetics, I think it depends on which sports you are focusing on.

Obviously there are certain genetic factors that will qualify or disqualify young people for football and basketball opportunities.

On the other hand, the skill sports like golf, tennis, etc require much fewer physical gifts and much more skill acquisition. Sure being strong or having more quick twitch fibers can sometimes help but much more development of skill is needed.

There are other sports that are very much a combination of physical traits and skill acquisition.

I think baseball and volleyball are two sports that clearly fall into this category. Being bigger, faster, and stronger help but there are specific skills that must be trained to be competitive.

Mar 21, 2019, 12:10 PM

In today’s age PEDs are the biggest factor to get you over the hump. I always say if a kid looks like a cartoon super hero you know it’s not because he’s been eating skinless chicken and doing high reps. Where there are massive amounts of money there is massive incentive to cheat and obtain that money.

I agree that genetics play the major role.......

Mar 21, 2019, 12:34 PM

.....in the abilities of highly skilled athletes. There are of course some anomalies up or down and there are often hidden genetic components in many of us that came from left field, so to speak ;^). Sometimes the kid of apparently unathletic parents has great or great great grandparents who had unrecognized athletic or physical skills.

Similarly, I think genetics play the major role in scholastic or academic success with the same anomalies and unknown or unrecognized inherited characteristics playing a role in who gets the perfect SAT score, aces organic chemistry or grasps quantum physics as a 9th grader.

These realities very often make regular people who want everyone to be more or less equal unhappy.

BTW, in my experience the folks who were very skilled in most team sports seem to catch onto and perform well at golf and tennis much much faster than the bench riders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic