Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem with not firing Brownell this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

The problem with not firing Brownell this year.

Mar 14, 2019, 3:14 PM

Is ok say Clemson keeps him and they win 15-17 games next year. Then what do you do then. The time to make that change is when you already know your not going to have a good year. It’s time to build the program around a new great coach

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with not firing Brownell this year.

Mar 14, 2019, 3:18 PM

I think his buyout drops significantly after next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It drops 425k, 850k to 425k. That's peanuts

Mar 14, 2019, 5:27 PM

In college basketball

Mar 14, 2019, 3:21 PM

I agree. I see this as the wave of veterans leaving with a bunch of young players that will be together for the next 3 years. It is time

I have no idea what DRAD will do with this issue,

Mar 14, 2019, 3:47 PM

If it’s a Financial decision Brownell return next season. Clemson basketball isn’t a money maker for the department, season tickets produces less than 3 million in revenue, and I don’t know the number of IPTAY members who join just for basketball tickets but I bet it’s less than 500.

Re: I have no idea what DRAD will do with this issue,

Mar 14, 2019, 3:55 PM

Someone posted revenue and expense stuff for schools earlier. It showed we spend $6 million and make $11 million annually. I forget the source or the accuracy. I just point out we may make more than you think. But I really doubt it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

11 million, that has to include ACC Basketball money.

Mar 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

I was referring to money produced directly by the program (season ticket sales, IPTAY dues, and apparel sales) and I don’t think that will exceed expenses.

Let's not forget the ACC TV Network kicks in

Mar 14, 2019, 5:29 PM

this year. Extra money will be there

Mar 14, 2019, 3:58 PM [ in reply to I have no idea what DRAD will do with this issue, ]

I don't have an opinion on what Brownell's job status should be. However, he seems to be in the same situation as Bowden. He just got a salary and contract extension so it would save the university a lot of money to hang on to him another year or so. We will probably never be known as a good basketball school but we need to learn from the Bowden years and not give away the bank on one good year of athletic success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 4:09 PM

NO. Not Bowden.

Bowden didn't just get a pay bump. He was also in the middle of a major university investment into the program and ranked 3rd in total spending in the ACC... and was losing to Wake freakin' Forest when he was expected to win the ACC *that* year.

Brownell is the middle of an "barebones" investment (seriously, UVA out spent us on facilities by 100m a decade ago) and a program ranked 14 of 15 in spending but is winning half of his ACC games. We are not losing to dumpster fire Pitt programs, we are not losing to UNC Charlotte like OP. Brownell is beating everyone he should and playing darn hard against programs investing 4-5X the amount.

Finally, what Brownell is making is "average" for a coach, and considering the other lack of resources, the base pay is likely higher knowing he has a harder field to plow to get to the post-season bonuses.

well heres the thing...it all has to do with being fortunate

Mar 14, 2019, 4:31 PM

or not..with recruits.

A 15-17 win team is good. And i'd go out on a limb and say he's gotten good recruits/transfers that have helped us be average to above average. Mid Pack in the ACC is not a gimme. It takes good players and sound preparation/coaching to maintain that level in this conference. What we have yet to see is what would happen if we got a legit NBA-like stud player to complement our base of average/above average talent.

If Brad were to have gotten lucky and added a Zion or a Brice Johnson or player like that which we've been in on right until the end but have yet to snag (which Oliver PUrnell did the same with Shumphert, Favors, etc. If we end up eventually signing a guy like that to go with a good base like we tend to have...then that takes us to that level we're looking for. B/c at the end of the day I think Brad does a good job with what he has. WE just didn't have any killer instinct in the leadership of this team. If we could somehow have gotten Terrell McIntyre out of his coaching gear and back in playing gear we would have won 8 of the 10 of those close games b/c he was a baller that was going to win and be clutch.

But we don't seem to ever have "that guy" to be the head and shoulders leader that puts us over the hump. If Brad had snagged Zion for this season we're probably 3rd/4th in the ACC and looking like a legit pick to go to the final four. Mitchell and Reed at 1 and 2 Guard, Skara/Simms, Zion, and Thomas to round out the lineup..

Pretty sure we walk the dog in this conference and its a struggle between Clemson/UNC/Duke/UVA for the top spot. But didnt' happen. And we're back to battle for the 8th spot.

So do we hold out hope for somethign that hasn't happened yet or do we cut bait and risk a Shyatt hire? If you cut bait you gotta be right.

Re: well heres the thing...it all has to do with being fortunate

Mar 14, 2019, 4:46 PM

This is a good take.

Purnell's entire NCAA run was based on Trevor Booker. A unknown mid-level NBA talent that was not recruited by any other program (save Wofford). Even then, Booker's most impactful season was his sophomore year and as other teams knew we were one deep there, the return on his skillset diminished.

What hurt this year was that we were unexpectedly awful from 3. You don't see teams shooting 32% from the arc and limited big-men make it to .500. That was some coaching to make that work. Also, I don't think Reed was 100%, he hustled like heck but you could see in the end-games that he was tapped out and did not have Grantham or Mitchell to be a major option. You are right, add another major talent/weapon and this suddenly becomes a 23+ win team and 11-5 in conference easily.

I agree also about knowing what we would bring in before getting rid of a very good coach. I don't see a lot of young potential right now. Even then, a lot of other mid-majors are a lot more attractive (the VCU teams). Any young "can win" coach will look at us as being a team that fires a guy for being .500 is a very top heavy conference while being a bottom-dweller in resources.

And dang, BB is keeping our head above water and doing it cleanly. I know that IF we get rid of Brad, a couple of major/former major programs with "issues" will take a good long look at him knowing that he could keep them from pitting and maybe do better with the right support.

So who do we get? Is there a Tony Bennett coach: a Sweet Sixteen Coach is getting his purse cut or is being fired... oh wait...

Re: well heres the thing...it all has to do with being fortunate

Mar 14, 2019, 7:04 PM [ in reply to well heres the thing...it all has to do with being fortunate ]

If Brownell was able to land Williamson, we would have been competing for the national championship.

If Brownell had been able to teach Thomas how to avoid fouling out, we would be still playing in the ACC tournament and a lock for the big dance.

You need to worry about your own coach***

Mar 14, 2019, 4:47 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to worry about your own coach***

Mar 14, 2019, 5:04 PM

You need to stop trying to judge me. When you don’t even know me.

There are some great responses in this thread.....

Mar 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

too bad the OP is a chicken. Check his pathetic pulse and the revelations each time he posts

Maybe we should discuss cheatin' Frank Martin and his lame record with chickenU

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are some great responses in this thread.....

Mar 14, 2019, 5:46 PM

Ah, Bowden did, did get a pay bump and contract extension. That is why we had to pay him for so many years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are some great responses in this thread.....

Mar 14, 2019, 6:17 PM

Maybe we need a new ad that doesn’t give raises to guys we are about to fire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize DRad didn't extend Tommy right?***

Mar 14, 2019, 7:33 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize DRad didn't extend Tommy right?***

Mar 14, 2019, 8:48 PM

He did to coach Jack and coach B if he fires him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2019, 11:45 PM

We have put up with for 10 years might as well let him stick around for another 10.......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic