Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sense of perspective for us whites in America
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1,011

Sense of perspective for us whites in America

Sep 6, 2020, 8:36 PM

I’m a big believer in trying to completely put yourself in the other persons shoes to try to understand a problem. I am white and grew up in a very small Southern town and was obsessed with basketball in my youth. I was a decent player, although I couldn’t jump and I wasn’t quick(i’m sure that’s shocking). The town I grew up in was predominantly black, so I was often the only white player on my schools team. I can’t tell you how much I liked the guys I played with for the most part, and had some great friendships with them.

I do remember a couple of times when I would do something like not drink right after them from a water bottle, and they would say you didn’t do that because I’m black. That really wasn’t the case. I just wasn’t thirsty. But made me understand what they are thinking.

To try to put myself in their shoes, I’ve often wondered how I would feel if let’s say Japan was the dominant country in the world 400 years ago and they came to Ireland or Scotland where most of my ancestors are from and captured us as slaves. We live in Japan for many years as slaves and then we get out of slavery but we are still at the bottom of society and have no wealth or status.

No agenda here, just asking y’all does this change your perspective if you try to put yourselves into that situation as a white who was taken as a slave 300 years ago by an Asian country and live at the bottom of society. Would that make you think differently?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sense of perspective for us whites in America

Sep 6, 2020, 8:46 PM

Sep 7, 2020, 12:32 AM

What? Just five years ago, a dumb redneck shot up a black church in Charleston and killed nine people over race.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

What if some Scots/Irish captured other Scots/Irish

Sep 6, 2020, 8:47 PM

And sold them to the Japanese?

Re: What if some Scots/Irish captured other Scots/Irish

Sep 7, 2020, 8:04 AM

What difference does that old trope make? Does the fact that the slave traders bought African slaves from other Africans make American slavery any better? I’ll help you out — No

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 8:51 PM

democrats should stop telling folks they are victims

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprising none of you guys are willing to dig deep and think differently

Sep 6, 2020, 9:27 PM

Knowing you three characters I am not surprised with your responses. Sorry, but I am not surprised you are very close minded and unwilling to see a different perspective.

I was hoping this would open up some thought provocating deep thought about putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, but you guys aren’t the right ones to discuss this with. My agenda is not right or left, just to think differently instead of being bullheaded and incapable of of putting yourself in someone else’s shoes. And to be clear, I am not what you think I am as it relates to race. I just try to be fair and put myself in their shoes. If you don’t want to go there, that explains a lot.

That’s hilarious

Sep 6, 2020, 9:35 PM

The point is

Sep 6, 2020, 9:54 PM

You didn’t take one second apparently to think about what it would be like if your ancestors were taken as slaves by Japan at you forever at the bottom of society. I can bet the farm that thought has never crossed your mind, and apparently when I mentioned it it meant nothing to you. That’s what I’m saying is that you’re not very deep dude.

Not pushing an agenda, but just seeing if anyone is is capable of thinking outside the box and stepping outside of themselves. Pretty obvious the world is much simpler to you.

Re: The point is

Sep 6, 2020, 9:59 PM

Sep 6, 2020, 10:13 PM

You just proved my point. There is no hope for you, I’ve never seen a post from you with a sense of humor or a sense of let’s talk about something different outside of my dear leader is king and anyone who says anything against him is evil. I was not coming into this with a political agenda. But I have spent a lot of time around Black people in my life. And I just try to understand their perspective. And I am not an apologist for them on many different levels, believe me. But still, at the same time I do have sympathy for the challenges they have.. The fact that you don’t want to go there is not surprising at all.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:24 PM

Sep 6, 2020, 10:33 PM

And that response is nothing more than change the subject because I can’t really respond to what you just said. If it were not for the pandemic, I wouldn’t be here. I’m just bored out of my mind

We had a similar childhood but I played segregated

Sep 6, 2020, 9:13 PM

basketball up until the 8th grade. Still, we always played with blacks on our courts or their’s, years before segregation ended, and I don’t know if I effectively walked in their shoes in my mind at that age.

We did have bad experiences of racism with certain white friends of mine not being able to play if blacks were playing, and blacks being run off from the Baptist church court by someone who I had respected before that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We had a similar childhood but I played segregated

Sep 6, 2020, 9:33 PM

Small town in SC, the heart of Dixie. I’m older than you.***

Sep 6, 2020, 9:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Small town in SC, the heart of Dixie. I’m older than you.***

Sep 6, 2020, 9:44 PM

Like I said, I’m old. Attended segregated schools 63-69.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:08 PM

Integration finally happened in 1970, 16 years after Brown v. Board of Education.

I had an awesome childhood, but that Old South stuff was drilled into our heads. Racism was everywhere. It all started changing after integration in 1970.

If you went to H.S. after the mid 70s, you missed most of it.

Now, it still exists but I guess the rub is how wide spread is it, and are blacks and woke people off the mark thinking it’s still widespread (I guess we’ve have to define wide spread first).

Re: Like I said, I’m old. Attended segregated schools 63-69.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:21 PM

Sep 6, 2020, 9:26 PM

Sometimes I work 60 hours a week so that I can afford cable. Now, I have the opportunity to watch the oppressed play a game for $55k a minute.

Sep 6, 2020, 9:38 PM

Sep 7, 2020, 12:33 AM

Yes, because Deshaun getting his contract for his talents somehow makes it all right for all black Americans.

####, you are not a Clemson fan. Stop pretending you are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Sep 7, 2020, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Sense of perspective for us whites in America ]

Your posts just get more ignorant by the day.

Sep 7, 2020, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Sense of perspective for us whites in America ]

people walk here and become wealthy, strange that pants wants to keep one group focused on the past, that somehow they are trapped and have no future because of their skin color

Sep 7, 2020, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Sense of perspective for us whites in America ]

Do you watch them? Then don't ##### about their salaries because you contribute to them.

Also, that's capitalism. Learn how to "conservative" properly.

Sep 7, 2020, 7:52 AM

Putting myself in the position of having ancestors who were enslaved by the Japanese a hunderd years ago, I guess I would take a look around and see others who looked like me and ask myself, "how have they risen above our history?" Then I'd see that those who do some very simple things, like remaining in school, not impregnating anyone as a teen, and not breaking the law seem to rise above thieir circumstances. Then I'd choose to listen to people who gave me solid advice that actually seemed designed to help me make my life better. I'd avoid those who try to fill my head with a bunch of crap about how unfair life is and the world is against me and I can't succeed. In the end, I'd realize life is about a series of individual choices.

I agree with a lot of this.

Sep 8, 2020, 7:58 PM

My biggest complaint with the African-American community is how families don’t stick together. It’s fair to say that in the slavery days families were pulled apart and this encourages this behavior, but I’m sorry it is the same way in Africa.

But still, if you had grandparents that couldn’t go to movie theaters with whites and couldn’t go to the same restrooms and couldn’t drink out of the same water fountains you have to understand the bitterness there. If this happened to us whites in Japan by the Japanese, do you think we really wouldn’t resent the Japanese?

I’m 54 years old and the race problem in America is so frustrating. I guess it’s fair to say it’s improved over the last few decades, but we are not where we need to be. You know the saying the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again without changing course.

So I don’t know what the answer is. My best thought is some sort of assistance from the government but only incentive-based. Not a handout, but if you do this we will give you this. I’m not saying anything gigantic, there’s some sort of reach out that requires blacks to perform to receive any sort of incentive.

But please understand this is a problem that requires improvement from both sides, and I will even say, more so probably from the blacks. But I do understand your frustration.

Sep 7, 2020, 7:59 AM

I don't share a drink with anyone that isn't liquor. It's not clean. Share a soda? No.

How long you been in America, son?***

Sep 7, 2020, 8:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1,011
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic