Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The playoff isn’t killing the bowl season...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

The playoff isn’t killing the bowl season...

Jan 1, 2019, 2:34 PM

Players selfishly sitting out is killing the bowl season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: The playoff isn’t killing the bowl season...

Jan 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

Yep, eventually everyone will stop going to bowl games and we will start seeing a 64 team playoff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then what would the FBS be called?***

Jan 1, 2019, 2:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

It can't be denied that the bowl games don't mean as much these days.

Jan 1, 2019, 2:45 PM

I just don’t understand that argument. There were never more than a couple or three teams with a chance to be voted #1 on New Year’s Day without the playoff. I think the only thing that has changed is the hype of the playoff

Jan 1, 2019, 3:14 PM

Back in the day, bowls picked teams by a pecking order and the games were played and sports writers crowned the NC. Sometimes it backfired. In 1978, Clemson beat Maryland and was in line to play Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl for a shot at being in the top 3 or 4 in the final poll... But Li'l 'ole Clemson got snookered into agreeing to play in the Gator Bowl. If you doubt that, simply look at who Oklahoma played in the Orange Bowl that year...Nebraska... a team from their own Conference who they had played only a few weeks prior to the bowl announcements...Shady deals were the order of the day...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not?

Jan 1, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: The playoff isn’t killing the bowl season... ]

I’ll tell you why. It’s the mindsets that have changed. You only had a couple of teams playing for the national title before the same as it is now. The players need to play for pride if nothing else. The fans need to support their teams. This all or nothing mentality that people have when it comes to sports is not good for anyone. It’s not good for the coaches who are constantly being fired even if they’ve had championship level success in the past. It’s not good for the players who feel like they have no reason to play the bowl games and it’s no good for fans who constantly bash the players and coaches of good teams. Please don’t take what I say out of context. There are times for coaches and players to be held accountable for underachieving but some of what has gone on the last few years is a little over the top.??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why not?

Jan 1, 2019, 10:26 PM

I agree with what you are saying. It used to be a coach could stay at a school for 20 years or more and live through a few bad years. Of course they weren't paid that much back then. Times have changed on all accounts.

Jan 1, 2019, 2:56 PM

We are just spoiled. It's very hard to watch mediocre teams play each other.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true.***

Jan 1, 2019, 2:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I had a great time

Jan 1, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: The playoff isn’t killing the bowl season... ]

watching the Cheezit bowl.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 3:11 PM

It all started when eSECpn started making the lame excuse “Well, they really didn’t want to be there”...when the SEC teams lost Bowl games and ignoring those losses when it came time to put 15 SEC teams in the Preseason Top 25 Poll.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol, 15 SEC teams in the top 25 - all of them plus one***

Jan 1, 2019, 3:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 4:01 PM

I'm like Dabo, I like them all. You never know which matchup will be a good game. The marque games are many times stinkers and a random matchup are great games.

Plus the extra practice time is great for your program and they are all good rewards for players who have worked so hard.

I was going to say it is that stupid

Jan 1, 2019, 4:07 PM

jean claude van damme commercial

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont recall the player, but he cost himself $20 million

Jan 1, 2019, 4:12 PM

by getting hurt in bowl game. That’s a lot of pressure for a 22 year old

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dont recall the player, but he cost himself $20 million

Jan 1, 2019, 4:31 PM

wasn't that the kid from last year? broke his leg in the bowl game and dropped out of the first round?

How about the walk on senior who will never play at the next

Jan 1, 2019, 10:37 PM [ in reply to dont recall the player, but he cost himself $20 million ]

level? Puts it all on the line, every. single. practice. Never gets any press. Never wins any awards. In fact, he rarely gets to play in a game. But there he is, giving 100% to help his team and teammates get better, always having their backs. And his last game, EVER, he gets repaid by the star players he helped make better sitting out. Dancing around on the sidelines, laughing, cutting up, protecting their draft status, while he, someone who gave it all for his team, walks off the field for the last time, those guys not having his back. That’s not team. Those aren’t guys I’d want in my foxhole.

Re: How about the walk on senior who will never play at the next

Jan 1, 2019, 10:41 PM

Bingo!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dont recall the player, but he cost himself $20 million

Jan 1, 2019, 11:06 PM [ in reply to dont recall the player, but he cost himself $20 million ]

Money will eventually ruin CF like it did NASCAR

I have thoroughly enjoyed this bowl season***

Jan 1, 2019, 10:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too.

Jan 1, 2019, 10:59 PM

Mine was more a response to others.

You have to admit, if we didn’t make the playoffs

Jan 1, 2019, 11:14 PM

And even if we played in one of the old “BCS” type bowls, it just wouldn’t be the same. Everyone would be disappointed and the season deemed a failure

You have to admit, if we didn’t make the playoffs

Jan 1, 2019, 11:15 PM

And even if we played in one of the old “BCS” type bowls, it just wouldn’t be the same. Everyone would be disappointed and the season deemed a failure

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic