Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The only shred of reality on mainstream media on Syria...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

The only shred of reality on mainstream media on Syria...

Apr 10, 2018, 8:39 AM

I am very surprised this got on TV. It is actually based on reality. For anyone interested in knowing anything about the current situation in Syria, I urge you to watch this. It's from Fox News (yuck), but it goes against the main FoxNews narrative, which, like I said, shocked me.

@camcgee®

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGf2ZpDENU

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what happens when the press does its job...

Apr 10, 2018, 8:54 AM

Pay attention to the answers. Do you have standards for government accountability? If so, are you satisfied with his answer? This is where critical thinking is important to a democracy. THINK about what happens during this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-dGYsK7UY

Notes:

Apr 10, 2018, 9:04 AM

1. Wicker tries to suggest that by being asked to doubt the narrative that Carlson is somehow aiding Putin. Which is a disgusting deflection of the issue. (Much respect for Carlson aggressively addressing that fact)

2. Wicker brings up fighting ISIS, which is ironic considering Russia and Syria have done more to eradicate ISIS than the US. Bombing Syria the last time actually helped ISIS gain territory close to that airbase. In fact the T-4 airbase bombed by Israel already is used primarily to fight ISIS, not western/gulf proxies. (Anyone ever wonder why Israel never bombs ISIS or Al Qaeda in Syria?)

3. Wicker offers ZERO evidence about why he believes the attack actually happened and seems confused and annoyed that he is even being asked this question. Clearly flustered and unwilling to elaborate.

I have a different take on this. It may not sit well with

Apr 10, 2018, 9:09 AM

some hand-wringing liberals and politicians who can't be pigeon-holed into supporting killing children (hence this being bi-partisan). The real reason the politicians are all in agreement that we need an all out war is because Assad is so bad and evil. No politician for either party is going to sit around and say wait, we shouldn't do this.

BUT....will we ever learn from our mistakes? I'd say so, hopefully.

First off, democracy will never come to the middle east. It just won't, not in our flavor at least. We in the US seem to think everyone is like us, and therefore our example is the best for everyone. People like this have never spent time in a Muslim country. If you did, you would KNOW why democracy will never work there. The really intelligent also understand why democracy DOES work here, and in Europe.

Anyway, if you're willing to accept that democracy will never come to the middle east in any form resembling our own, then you have to recalculate the evils. One one hand, you have a ruthless tyrant but one that is of no real threat to the US and is just a tyrant in his own backyard. This was Saddam Hussein, for example. As distasteful as it may seem to support a tyrant, removing the tyrant will actually threaten us MORE. When a tyrant is eliminated there is a power vacuum. In Muslim countries this is an open door for ISIS, or groups similar, or groups aligned with Iran, to take control. Is ISIS ruling a population any better than a tyrant? Nope. Actually worse arguably. And since it destabilizes the region further, it makes OUR danger and exposure actually greater. Syria is happening because of our removal of Saddam Hussein. When we removed him from power, we had no plan to fill the vacuum. Hence ISIS. Then ISIS moved into Iraq and into Syria and destabilized the region further. We remove Assad and then ISIS will advance further.

The Russians are being pragmatic here. We are being emotional and irrational. That's just how I see it. I supported the Iraq war, but we totally botched the victory. Removing Assad will only open the vacuum up more. Russia knows this. They want stability with a tyrant over an even more violent and unstable theocracy. A tyrant can be controlled and managed because there's a power point to attack and influence. Remove that centralized power and control, and we can no longer have any control of the situation. There is a civil war going on there now. Whether we intervene or not, or the Russians intervene or not, each side will be ruthless. Remove Assad and nothing will improve for the people and children. They will still be at the hands of an evil theocracy instead of an evil tyrant. Furthermore, supporting those fighting against Assad who we THINK we can work well with in the future and who are most likely to bring democracy is the wrong approach. How did supporting the Taliban against the Russians in Afghanistan in the 80's work out for us? Not too well on 9/11/01. How did supporting Saddam Hussein against Iran work out for us? Not too well.

I'd leave them alone to fight it out. There is nothing for us to gain by removing Assad.

Which brings us to our politicians, and our "democracy" in action. Do nothing and Trump will be attacked for doing nothing. Do something, and Trump will be attacked for creating a vacuum for ISIS to expand as they then threaten Israel directly with the assistance of Iran. The metrics and optics for the here and now demand action. And that's all that Congress, the media,and most politicians care about. Obama handled this correctly. Do some limited air strikes, save face, and then keep on ignoring. That's what Trump has done so far as well. Hopefully he stays the course and does not commit to a disaster.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we get rid of Assad and then we may get worse.

Apr 10, 2018, 9:15 AM

I prefer we stay out of it generally speaking. That said, we will be attacking Assad shortly in retribution for the gas attack, whether he did or not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably. And hopefully that's it. A face-saving

Apr 10, 2018, 9:19 AM

attack. That's probably the best course of action. Make it look big, do relatively little damage, and then forget about it until the next gas attack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if it is true, but some "expert" or whatever...

Apr 10, 2018, 9:23 AM

his title is said that we destroyed 1/5 of Assad's air force in that last little attack. Maybe these little attacks are enough to make him think twice.

Assad has the Russian air force.

Apr 10, 2018, 9:24 AM

Another reason not to fight him.

It did not destroy 1/5th of Assad's Air Force.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I don't know if it is true, but some "expert" or whatever... ]

Russia helped replace most of everything, and minimal damage was done... intentionally. Syria used that bombed airbase to resume bombing ISIS the next day. It would have been easy to disable the runway, but we didn't want to. We knew it would help ISIS too much.

It was all about political theater.

Syria, according to the UN, got rid of all of its chemical weapons. We know for a fact that Al Qaeda and ISIS have been using chemical weapons and maintains stores of them. ANd we know for a fact that they train on false flags. There is even footage of this from half a dozen different places in Syria. We also know that the "rebels" in control of the bombed area were all but defeated, and that they are radical salafi jihadists who enforce sharia in an otherwise secular country.

This is a massive blunder by the US to contribute to this nightmare all because Saudi Arabia wants us to. (Petrodollar)

^^ exactly what I was going to say.

Apr 10, 2018, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I have a different take on this. It may not sit well with ]

If we get rid of Assad, fine. But put in a pro US dictator that we can control. The US has pretty much written the book on how to do this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Not really. We botched Iraq. Hence this situation

Apr 10, 2018, 9:23 AM

We nailed it in Afghanistan though because we had a guy (Karzai) in exile to bring back to rule. But trust me, that guy in Afghanistan has been ruthless in keeping his power and staying alive. We just don't report it.

If Trump can show me a leader for Syria who actually has a chance to rule effectively, I might reconsider. But we don't have that luxury since Assad has been in power so long. Same reason we didn't for Saddam Hussein.

Let me rephrase. The CIA has written the book on it

Apr 10, 2018, 9:28 AM

especially South America 50's-80's

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

All Christians. No Muslim nations.

Apr 10, 2018, 9:33 AM

hth.

We overthrew an elected Republic in Iran in the 50's

Apr 10, 2018, 10:36 AM

and installed the Shah. That lasted until 1979 when they overthrew him.

The reason democracy won't flourish in the MIddle East is because it has been imposed for the benefit of the imperial powers setting it up. Democracy has to be organic, obviously.

Democracy is on the verge of failing everywhere by the way. If you are really paying attention.

Egypt...? (or does it still exist?) Kind of dropped from MSM***

Apr 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tucker has no idea about last time or this time.

Apr 10, 2018, 9:12 AM

He just knows that we didn't really know last time for sure.

Yes and that's an important point. We didn't know then.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:24 AM

We don't know now.

But our government is behaving as if it does know.

There are many more reasons to believe it was not Assad than there is to believe it was.

Either way, even if it was, which I doubt, it helps Al Qaeda and ISIS and it does not help the US. It is all politics. And it's truly evil.

Re: The only shred of reality on mainstream media on Syria...

Apr 10, 2018, 9:13 AM

wow...surprised that made it on the air over at Fox. If both sides of the aisle are recommending war, then they must think there is something in it for them. Very few of these folks really care whether Assad is gassing his own people (and I'm not convinced he is). The reality is we sit back while even worse atrocities occur somewhere in the world every single day.

Exacty. Situation where so many more lives could be...

Apr 10, 2018, 9:17 AM

saved at a fraction of the cost.

Armament companies and DC Think Tanks won't get paid...***

Apr 11, 2018, 3:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only shred of reality on mainstream media on Syria...

Apr 10, 2018, 10:12 AM

Interesting that everyone in P&R seems to agree that we shouldn't get involved at this time.

Seems most of our gov officials were saying we should the AM

Apr 10, 2018, 10:24 AM

Sounds like we will do something, whatever that may be.

All signs point to this being primarily political.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:34 AM

Our government is very obviously making a show of this. Giving a timeline on when an attack will happen, publicizing the roster of those forces to be involved, giving Russians, Iranians and Syrians time to prepare, and not ever talking about confirming that Assad was indeed responsible.

Critical thinking.

Most people have good sense if they have access to reality.

Apr 10, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: The only shred of reality on mainstream media on Syria... ]

The problem is those same people are extremely susceptible to group think. The Founding Fathers knew this and tried to prevent it, but expediency has retarded that original intention.

The reason the US is acting like a bunch of nutjobs these days is the mainstream media controls the narrative, and that narrative is nearly always biased to support one of two political tribes.

If our system wasn't so screwed up, and "truth" so badly obscured and filtered, our people would be more likely to behave reasonably. Individuals are usually smart and reasonable but societies are quite often dumb as sh*t.

This is why the Founding Fathers were so special. They wanted the system to be weak and completely at the mercy of the (educated and invested) individuals. So much for that...

Here's the thing though

Apr 10, 2018, 10:39 AM

We've all been thinking the Trump presidency was leading to this:

When in reality, it's been leading to this:

but this time it's a big ### dog,both parties seem to want

Apr 11, 2018, 8:49 PM

to bomb syria

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UPDATE:

Apr 10, 2018, 11:28 AM

Syria and Russia have asked the OPCW to come in as soon as possible and investigate the supposed chemical attack site. US has, until apparently a few minutes ago, ignored this.

You may hear something about this later today, as it looks like the US has been compelled to agree to an "inquiry" before launching an attack. The OPCW looks like it will deploy a fact-finding mission to Syria.

Also significant, Erdogan is aligning with Russia/Iran on this issue, despite being a NATO member.

Russian planes are breaking the sound barrier over Tartus.

Apr 10, 2018, 11:42 AM

Several confirmations from people living there. One literally on his roof right now waiting to catch the next one.

Pictures showing what could be anti-ship missiles on these Russian jets. That would be a significant development.

Russia is not playing around.

(Tartus is in Latakia in Syria- Russian airbase)

You're sounding like a crazy person***

Apr 10, 2018, 1:25 PM

Yes, I'm crazy. That's the extent of it. Thread solved.

Apr 10, 2018, 5:39 PM

Sometimes you act similar to a kid who is holding their hands over their ears going "LALALALALA" because there are certain things that you simply can not deal with.

On a different note, what is Russia's interest in Syria?*****

Apr 10, 2018, 11:40 AM

A few reasons.

Apr 10, 2018, 11:52 AM

1. Only permanent access to Mediterranean Sea, and one of few warm water ports for Russia.

2. Because of clumsy American foreign policy in Syria the Russians took the opportunity to show that we were not actually fighting terrorism there. They mercilessly bombed AL Qaeda and ISIS and turned the war around in a relatively short amount of time after the US had been there all along. The Russian's were able to shine a light on the fact that US, UK, France, KSA, etc were actually supporting jihadists in an attempt to overthrow a secular (yet repressive) government. This helped Russia tear away a LOT of influence in the region. Now Russia has much more influence in the region than we do. We are clinging on to Saudi Arabia, but Russia has Turkey (sorta) Iran, Syria, and probably Iraq (once they and Syria become more stable)

3. National prestige. Russia feels it has been thoroughly disrespected, demonized and threatened since the end of the cold war, and somewhat similar to the US during the first Gulf War, was desperate for a military/political/diplomatic success that would show the world it is still relevant. (Gulf War I exorcized a lot of the demons from Vietnam that still lingered on for US military and enhanced our national prestige)

They need that port. Syians are stuck with them now.*****

Apr 10, 2018, 12:06 PM

Syrians are hero-worshipping Putin right now.

Apr 10, 2018, 12:14 PM

Many Syrians LOVE Russia because they are the only reason that foreign-funded jihadists didn't take over the whole country and put it under sharia law.

People here never hear about Christians and secularists fighting in the SAA (Syrian Arab Army) because they know they will be ethnically cleansed if Assad loses. Though most of the SAA is Sunni, minorities are facing an extremely perilous situation is the "rebels" win. This is not conjecture either. This has been thoroughly proven by "rebel" behavior already. Decapitating children, putting women in cages... etc. And I am not talking about ISIS. I'm talking about the guys we are sending our tax dollars to in the form of guns, ammo and TOW missiles. Noura al din al zinki, Army of Islam, HTS/AL Nusra/Al Qaeda, etc...

Actual, real-life radical islamic terrorists.

Yeah, but everyone who opposes Assad I would imagine.......

Apr 10, 2018, 12:18 PM

don't think highly of the Russians. Also, let's see what they think about the Russians in 15 years when they are still there.

Oh yeah, time always strains relationships.

Apr 10, 2018, 12:21 PM

Same for us in S. Korea. 15 years and all bets are off.

Plus it is the Midde East.*****

Apr 10, 2018, 12:25 PM

If we go to war US will spend half a billion fighting for no gain.

Apr 10, 2018, 1:05 PM

Why not just give every US citizen a million dollars instead? Would do way more for the economy than this blunder.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 trillion divided by 300 million is 10,000 per person.*****

Apr 10, 2018, 1:41 PM

None of which we have

Apr 10, 2018, 5:51 PM

since we're in debt $21 trillion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well as long as we have the petrodollar, we can print money

Apr 10, 2018, 6:04 PM

to pay off foreign debts with no risk of inflation.

This is exactly why Saudi Arabia is our "ally," and why we lie about Iran being the #1 state sponsor of terror.

Exactly why we overthrew Gadafi... Gold-backed currency.***

Apr 11, 2018, 7:27 PM

Looks like the narrative may be finally cracking. Another...

Apr 13, 2018, 2:48 PM

sliver of truth finally peeking through the mainstream media shroud. This time, on MSNBC.

Notice Minka tried to make it political and he side-stepped that and got down to reality.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/984525820621357056

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic