Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The most telling stat of the weekend IMHO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

The most telling stat of the weekend IMHO

Sep 2, 2018, 2:35 PM

First, for full disclosure, I don't care who we start as long as:

1) We win the game, and

2) both QBs see meaningful time against 1st team competition so that if one is forced into action, they are ready

I though both played well for the first game of the season. KB ran much better and TL passed a little better, but one is a senior and one was in his first game. I think it also shows the obvious; KB looks to run more than TL.

I'm not saying KB can't make plays with his arm, but everything else being equal on a play, KB is more likely to run and TL is more likely to keep looking downfield if a play is breaking down. That doesn't mean one option is better than the other. KB might run it in from 35 YDS or TL might extend the play and complete a 35 YD pass.

Which brings me to my stat. Because of the skill set of each (perceived or otherwise), teams will be more likely to load the box on KB and be more concerned about dropping back when TL is in the game.

I think this caused, and will continue to allow for the following:

When KB was in the game, the other backs ran 16 times for 79 YDS (4.94 YDS/ATT)

When TL was in the game, the other backs ran 7 times for 110 YDS (15.71 YDS/ATT)

This doesn't include KB runs and Yardage (5 for 44 and a TD - would bring the AVE to 5.86) on purpose as I am pointing out that we may need to consider the value of all the skill players when comparing QB success.

Sorry it got a little winded

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most telling stat of the weekend IMHO

Sep 2, 2018, 2:43 PM

Great stats...I was going to look at that later. Seems like the threat of the passing game opened the running lanes.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks

Sep 2, 2018, 2:44 PM

Not saying its the be all end all, but rather it gives us opportunities to exploit teams based on their defensive strengths.

Nice post, TU!***

Sep 2, 2018, 2:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Great work, and I agree 100%.

Sep 2, 2018, 2:47 PM

I know that our coaches and many of our fans are fixated on having a "dual threat" QB and running the QB a lot out of the read option, but this really makes no sense given our weapons on offense this year. Your stats above support the need for a pass first QB. I firmly believe we will need Lawrence's skill set if we want another national championship this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 2, 2018, 2:48 PM

A wise man agrees with your assessment.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/A-passing-threat-opens-up-running-lanes-23949675

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Sep 2, 2018, 4:01 PM

It all depends upon what type of offense you want to be. The quick strike, big play with a TL passing will occasionally put the defense back out on the field without a lot of rest. A more running oriented attack, like last year, gives the defense the rest it needs. It is virtually impossible to have both at one time. Choose your poison. Except for 2015 (weird plays on special teams), the team with the best skilled passer has won the national championship every year since Bammer beat ND. If you cast your lot with a running QB then you risk injury, like happened with KB last year. If you cast your lot with a passing QB and the backup is a runner, then you risk having to retool midseason or even late in the year if the passer gets hurt. Ideally, if you could use both throughout the year, then you have the best of both worlds. In our case we have the great D if we have to rely on it to win a game or two for us. Either way, we are going to be ok, but only because of the great D and it appears a good kicking game too. If I were coach, based on what little I see, I would use them both as needed over the next 5 to 6 games. Even if I were to go with TL coming out of the bye week break, I still put in packages for KB when inside the 10, or trying to run out the clock or in other special situations where I know my line can open holes but maybe the other team's secondary is pretty stout. And other stuff like weather might come into play. I really suspect by game 7 or 8 to see TL take over, with a package for KB. All that said, the coaches know more than I do and I trust them. I am going to pull for whoever is in there at QB at all times and enjoy the ride to 15-0.

Sep 2, 2018, 4:07 PM

This is what made DW4 so dangerous. He could hand it off, run, or throw a 44 yard strike. I believe TL has just good enough wheels to be a threat in this area as well. Obviously not to the level of DW4 but still a threat.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you consider that KB may be...

Sep 2, 2018, 4:11 PM

running by default when he's confused? I observed that typically he watches his primary receiver after the ball is snapped. Is as if he starts to evaluate the receiver's speed and direction early instead of having a comprehensive overview of the route.

I believe he also gets confused on the option read and RPO. He appears to be determining way too early whether he's going to keep the ball, hand it off or pass. I think he's way more talented than we give him credit for but his skill hasn't developed as it should have.

It's possible one of these days soon that the little bulb above his head will light up and he'll be able to keep his starting job. Nothing would please me more but if just in case it doesn't, TL is getting a huge slice of the playing time.

As far as who will end up behind center I doubt anyone who isn't overcome with emotions thinks KB will keep his job all year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2018, 4:14 PM

So, ur saying that Dixon picked up 77 yards in 2 carries, and that's somehow related to having Trevor as quarterback?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to be argumentative, but Yes

Sep 2, 2018, 4:34 PM

Big plays happen for a reason. The defense was in the box and got beat deep, the safeties were back and the first line missed the tackle, someone made a bad play or someone made a good play.

If you took away KB's long run, he'd average 2.25 YDS/ATT. If you took TL's 42 YD pass or KB's 40 YD pass away, their numbers would be less, but you can't do that, it happened.

I do not think that over the course of the season there would be a 10 YD difference in YDS/ATT when Trevor is in the game, but i do expect it to remain higher.

Sep 2, 2018, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The most telling stat of the weekend IMHO ]

Yea IMO it's kinda foolish to give TL credit for a freshman getting 70 or so yards on 2 plays. They were kind of anomalies.

I don't disagree with the premise but would have to see the replay and actually check the defensive alignment. It would be quite easy to see if any of this is right with the film.

I think having two QB's with different specialties will make it harder for a DC to figure out how to prepare. Dabo might play it this way all year just because of that.

TU. Buuuuuuutttttt....

Sep 2, 2018, 4:42 PM

TLaw looked like a freshman at times. Sacked. Poor reads on when to take or give it to the RB.

That said, he made the killer passes and yes, it opened up the run game, with one caveat - #23 broke off a couple of big runs when FU we're already gassed. That accounted for some of the big running yardage.

This week is the biggest game of the season, IMO. A win at TAMU it buys us time to figure out the QB thing in a relaxed way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey..put both QB’s in at same time & let them

Sep 2, 2018, 4:51 PM

figure out “On Their Own” in the huddle who runs & who throws!

Saying..it would drive our OC’ers crazy as well as the DC’ers.

Gut eR Done & Have Some Fun! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most telling thing I found out was on College Football live today.

Sep 2, 2018, 4:52 PM

Both QBs got 5 drives a piece.
On KB 5 drives they scored 17 points.
On TLaw 5 drives they scored 31 points.
Now I will once again say I don’t care who starts at QB as long as the team is running on all cylinders. Those numbers have me really thinking today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The most telling thing I found out was on College Football live today.

Sep 2, 2018, 5:28 PM

Both QBs got 5 drives a piece.
On KB 5 drives they scored 17 points.
On TLaw 5 drives they scored 31 points.
Now I will once again say I don’t care who starts at QB as long as the team is running on all cylinders. Those numbers have me really thinking today.

Question. I wasn't able to watch the WHOLE game...I know he threw for 3 TDs but I thought I read the other 2 resulted in FGs, which would be 27 pts. Or was there a rushing TD as well and only one FG?

Re: The most telling thing I found out was on College Football live today.

Sep 2, 2018, 8:39 PM

Rushing TD in the second quarter by Etienne (put us up 27-0), and a FG in his first series of the game.

I agree

Sep 2, 2018, 5:19 PM

what made Watson so deadly was that you had to respect the passing and running game, and couldn't get away with loading the box. with KB you can, yeah he could beat you, but you take your chances.

TL probably isn't a better runner than watson, but with a canon for an arm it will push the secondary and even LB's back, and open up the run game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson

Sep 2, 2018, 11:17 PM

Don't forget we lost the Pitt game in spite of their loading the box. Watson passed for 580 because he kept checking out of the called runs, but Dabo cost us the game by insisting on rushing into a loaded box on both 3rd and 1 as well as 4th and 1.

Most of the time i love Dabo's Old Skool ways. But I'm glad he is alearnin. Old Skool can getcha beat.

Great info...That adds more perspective

Sep 2, 2018, 5:35 PM

into why TL scored 2 more TD's than KB did in the same amount of possessions.

Did you break this down on your on own or retrieve the info elsewhere? Either way very nice on your part for posting

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Great info...That adds more perspective

Sep 2, 2018, 8:26 PM

I was curious and thought I knew the answer so I went to the box score on Clemson athletics and pulled the data

Sep 2, 2018, 8:50 PM

Interesting stats but the 61 yard run by Dixon inflates that average. Without that it was 6 carries for 49 yards. Still a much better average, but not as lopsided as that one run makes it seem.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic