Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria

Mar 12, 2020, 2:51 AM

This is the age we live in. Driving a bus with 75 people over a cliff to avoid hitting a squirrel. Just complete unabashed fear-mongering that isn't one bit rational - and will make "some" fatcats wealthier, some politicians more powerful and a lot of average people much poorer.

NCAA tourneys virtually shut down, NBA season possibly gone, schools & universities closing. A ban on large weddings in one state, political rallies & debates - called off. What's next? No spring football games? No football season? Restaurants closed until further notice? Shut everything down & we WILL see the next Great Depression - & it will make the one in the '30s look like a picnic.

There was hardly a word spoken when 80,000 people died from the annual "flu" in 2018 (nor the CDC estimated annual flu deaths which average about 50,000). Why not panic about THAT?

Congress & the President have passed $8.3 billion in emergency funding. Right now, 1,200 cases of Covid-19 have been diagnosed in the U.S. That's $7-million per case. Even if the number of cases multiplies by 100, that's still nearly $7,000 per case. And remember, very few cases require hospitalization & very, very few lead to death (same as the yearly flu). Again - we haven't been the least bit concerned about 50,000 yearly flu deaths for over a century, but now with Covid-19, we've decided insane panic is the solution.

If we're locked in our homes, can't work, can't play, can't socialize - it won't take long to crush this country & the world for good. It's ridiculous and unwarranted. We can take precautions without losing our minds.

Remember "Y2K" 20 years ago? This is the "viral" version of the same nonsense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You suffer from the long bored virus LOL! Don't forget to

Mar 12, 2020, 3:58 AM

stock up on toilet paper!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its ironic because you’re overreacting to an overreaction.

Mar 12, 2020, 4:01 AM

Simmer down, Captain Volatility

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria

Mar 12, 2020, 4:03 AM

This is just the beginning. 2 weeks ago there were almost no cases in the US. 4 weeks ago, majority of Americans didn't know what this was. This is going to last for several months and could last as long as 5-8 months.

3 Weeks ago, Italy had very few cases. Today, they are on lock down, seeing s spike in the 40-50 year age groups and due to lack or equipment & staff are having to decide who they have to let die in hospitals in Milan at this moment.

Michael Osterholm, a infectious disease expert, and his team is predicting 96 million infections , 48 million hospitalizations and 480,000 deaths in the next 7 months. The infection and death rates could be 10-15x that of the flu.

This is a doctor who has dedicated his life to studying diseases, viruses and pandemics. His book, written in 2017, has basically predicted everything that would happen should a pandemic of this nature start in China.

What some people are missing though... this doesn't take the place of the flu. The flu will continue to exist. The strain of an additional virus such as this could overload the healthcare system.

And, the cost of slowing the rate of growth (closing events, schools, travel, etc) could have a devastating impact on the economy.

A few things to note...

- Amount of cases are growing, but, more importantly, the RATE of growth in growing. The Arnot (rate of transmission) on this virus is b/n 2.35 and 3.25. The standard, flu is 1.3. That's insane, and it's getting bigger.
- The bed to population ratio in the US is low. We don't have a lot of cap space to work with. See Italy for comparison.
- It's also MUCH more infectious than things like N1H1 and Ebola. It's not chicken pox, but it's lethality is on an entirely different scale.
- Primary mechanism for transportation is breathing and incubation period is longer for many, compared to the standard flu....making slowing transmission difficult.
- Within the first moment people feel sick with Corona-19, upon inspection of patients throats, the volume of infection present has been 10,000x the amount of that found in SARS.
- There won't be a vaccine for months, at best.

I think there are some silly things that have happen (people buying out toilet paper) but I'm also going to look for the facts from those who are in the fields and make my own determination of what are wise decisions. To buy us time, and avoid overloading the healthcare system, cancelling large events is probably a good action.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow back away from the ledge

Mar 12, 2020, 5:19 AM

look at the daily new cases in China and South Korea and realize that it may not be as out of control as idiots like infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm claim.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

Deaths in the US are still not approaching yearly bee sting deaths

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wow back away from the ledge

Mar 12, 2020, 5:57 AM

Using your link check out Italy

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Re: wow back away from the ledge

Mar 12, 2020, 5:58 AM [ in reply to wow back away from the ledge ]

The US graph is very similar to Italy's graph.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Italy will flatten and drop within a week or so

Mar 12, 2020, 7:00 AM

the US will rise for another week or two then flatten and drop as well

The curves do not have the same starting point. The pattern is slow slow slow quick rise flatten and drop. With more knowledge, the curves will get better over time not worse.

You realize how China achieved that right?

Mar 12, 2020, 8:17 AM

Probably not the best example as the US literally is not capable of using their methods. South Korea is a much better example, but, honestly, they are ahead of the US in many areas concerning education, technology, and healthcare.

Yeah, those damm experts with their knowledge and experience

Mar 12, 2020, 7:48 AM [ in reply to wow back away from the ledge ]

and and years of studying the problem and all of that other bullyshitt.

Look at the upside...

Mar 12, 2020, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

Less elderly people drawing on SS and Medicare

Less people = less impact on climate change

????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at the upside...

Mar 12, 2020, 7:49 AM

Where did you say your grandmother was ??

Re: Look at the upside...

Mar 12, 2020, 7:50 AM

there is a silver lining in every pandemic. no more nba. wooooooo hoooooooo

This is code for

Mar 12, 2020, 8:15 AM

"fewer black people on TV", right?

When you hit 50+ and faced with something like Covid-19

Mar 12, 2020, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Look at the upside... ]

would you be willing to voluntarily die to save the government money or would you hope the people that have to make the hard decisions would make those decisions with your, and your families, welfare in mind.

Re: When you hit 50+ and faced with something like Covid-19

Mar 12, 2020, 9:06 AM

Yes exactly. It's amazing how many people are dismissing this whole thing as "only an old people problem." I get that from the standpoint of telling younger people to not stress about dying or whatever, but it's insane when being used to say that measures shouldn't be taken to reduce the spread of the virus because only old people are going to die.

Re: When you hit 50+ and faced with something like Covid-19

Mar 12, 2020, 11:29 AM

And there is the misinterpretation, when someone says oh it's only old people that are dying doesn't mean "oh we shouldn't do anything to stop the virus and advance our precautions of getting sick."

Declare state of emergency, postpone elections

Mar 12, 2020, 6:44 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

TRUMP through 2024!

good, let's C&P the hysteria every chance we get

Mar 12, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

The number of case are going to skyrocket because the number of people tested is going to skyrocket. Everything you just posted was from a worse-case slant the media has taken. Could, might, possibly! This is fear mongering at it's worse and more people will suffer from this than the actual virus.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

No offense, but we ain't Italy and we ain't like the rest of

Mar 12, 2020, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

world with all those fearsome doom and gloom projections that are being thrown out. Third world countries and places where people live on top of one another with lackadaisical sanitary habits typically suffer the most from outbreaks of disease. That ain't the USA...

Of the 38 deaths in the USA, 23 deaths are from one senior center - The Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington. Why is that - because COVID-19 hits the elderly really hard, especially those over the age of 80 - just about like ANY respiratory disease.

As the chart lays out - if you are old and get this thing - it is a very serious thing. However, for those folks under 70 - COVID-19 is not generally fatal. Makes people feel like crap but the vast majority are going to recover. It's a little more potent than the seasonal flu, but nothing near SARS, MERS or Ebola.

Here is the truth - most folks in the USA are only getting what they term a "mild disease" that only requires a self quarantine at home with no hospitalization. High risk people are hospitalized in order to try and keep their organs and lungs functioning while their bodies fight the disease. There is absolutely no basis in the current facts to suggest that this virus is going to overwhelm our hospital capacity in the USA - it's just not that life threatening to the majority of US people that are infected. Once again "mild disease" and not "fatal disease" is what is happening in the majority of US cases. Truthfully, if you get COVID-19 and aren't in the high risk category you would much rather home quarantine anyway - there are a lot of other things you can catch in a hospital while your immune system is getting beat up.

Here's the bottom line - this thing is going to run it's course. It's not some apocalyptic event that is going to kill half the world's population nor is there any indication the USA can't handle this disease. We won't be lighting piles of burning bodies and watching our civilization crumble.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No offense, but we ain't Italy and we ain't like the rest of

Mar 12, 2020, 9:08 AM

Who cares if a bunch of old people die right?

Mar 12, 2020, 9:34 AM

Who cares if a bunch of old people die right?

Two points:

1. Last time I checked the death rate for all living things is 100%.

2. Regardless of point one above, I'm not sure how you made the mental leap that I don't care about old people dying from COVID-19. If discussing COVID-19 facts (as they are today) is somehow akin to non-nonchalance about caring whether old people die then it's going to be awfully hard for the CDC or anyone else to discuss this honestly with the public.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 12:27 PM [ in reply to No offense, but we ain't Italy and we ain't like the rest of ]

I'm curious, where did that chart originate?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 4:29 PM

BuzzCzar® said:

I'm curious, where did that chart originate?

This one came from Business Insider. Many other media agencies have used these same numbers - would expect to see it updated sometime in the near future.

Mar 12, 2020, 6:42 AM

Land of the free and home of the BRAVE----yeah, right. And the rest of the world looks at us and thinks "what a bunch of wusses".

I doubt a virus cares how brave you are

Mar 12, 2020, 8:19 AM

Also doubt other countries are acting any more "bravely" than the US... whatever the hell that even means during a virus outbreak.

Go live in a different country then***

Mar 12, 2020, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 12, 2020, 6:55 AM

I'm sure there were people pisssed as you bc they weren't allowed to do as they please back in the day cried foul of the Smallpox Virus, Influenza Virus, HIV/Aids Virus with other deadly Viruses that killed millions with people just like you that were convinced it was a fluke created by their government just to get rich off of scaring the public. Hey pal, this chit is real, and this COVID-19 Virus is the same that killed many in 2002 in China, and within weeks it spread to 37 countries through air travel. The virus infected 8,000 people worldwide, about 800 of whom died. And this same Virus is more resistant to treatment than the one that broke out in China in 2002. This isn't a joke pal, it is for real, and it is deadly for elderly people, and I pray that if you have elderly folks that you truly love and care for aren't hearing what you are saying, and they will take necessary precautions and try to protect themselves as well as possible, bc, if they are hearing and believing what you are saying, there risk of dying from this Virus will become greater for them, than the ones who will attempt to protect themselves and use extreme caution!!!

https://www.livescience.com/41478-scariest-disease-outbreaks.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 7:15 AM

the last big thing we had was the swine flu. 60 million americans got it. what did they postpone or cancel. before you look it up, nothing.

Mar 12, 2020, 7:45 AM

And 13k dead Americans. Wonder why the media decided to cover this so differently? What could the answer possibly be?

Mar 12, 2020, 7:47 AM

been more than that die this year from the regular flu. what did they shut down for that.

Mar 12, 2020, 9:15 AM

We actually have a vaccine for the flu which reduces risk for those who are at higher risk. We also know more about the flu and how it spreads, and just overall of what to expect from it. Nobody knows what to expect from this one. I love sports, and would rather be able to watch them, but you really need to take a long look in the mirror if you're this upset over missing some basketball games in order to potentially save lives.

Mar 12, 2020, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

Yeah, and let's get rid of those wussy seat belts and airbags. And penicillin - get that weak shytt out of here.

Mar 12, 2020, 7:53 AM

lmfao did you really just type that.

Mar 12, 2020, 7:57 AM

I tire of the constant doomsday predictions. Whatever will be will be. Que sera, sera

Mar 12, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: The insanity of Coronavirus hysteria ]

D, as the populations rises in the world that we're in now, things that has the possibility kill, it has to be addressed differently than it was in the past. Plus with the way countries now handle waste bc of the high cost of disposal, bacteria is laying up in places that are totally ignored by the public, by the time those bacterias grow into a deadly disease that are wiping folks out, it has to be contained in ways that wasn't a necessary as it was 20-30 years ago bc there wasn't as many carriers loading up on cruise ships, and airplanes as much as there are in today's world. Oh yes it is a direct pain in our populations assses, but it is necessary to contain and destroy as soon as scientist can find away to combat it in a safe and logical way even when it means making our society uncomfortable, and pisssed off!!! Not one game of anything is worth one life especially if that life is one of yours, and its called having mutual respect even when its not close to you. Just saying, I don't like doing or going through the changes that I'll have to do to try and keep me and my wife as safe as possible, but I'm going to accept and do whatever it is to try and assure we make it through this thing.

Just as I told my wife this very morning bc she gets sick pretty easy. She is to stay home, and I'll take the risk of going out to get whatever we have to have, and I'll decontaminate everything before it comes into my home bc we have to do whatever to keep us safe and alive!!! It's not my fault this thing was brought from another country into our country, but I still have to play by the rules that has been set in order to stay safe!!! Even at the elder age that we are, we still love living, and we're not going to risk speeding through our time with the living bc others has put us at risk of getting deadly sick!!!

Do we really have to have one of these posts every day?

Mar 12, 2020, 8:12 AM

Please consult Oldschool57s post of a similar mindset yesterday or one of the others prior to that.

cancelling the remainder of the nba season is not necessaril

Mar 12, 2020, 8:16 AM

a bad thing, imo.

Re: cancelling the remainder of the nba season is not necessaril

Mar 12, 2020, 8:49 AM

THERE IS A SILVER LING IN EVERYTHING

We could have more re-runs of DEADLIEST CATCH

Mar 12, 2020, 8:24 AM

just with a new twist, Hey Sig, I think we need to stay out a few more weeks even if we have to set the crabs free. we don't want to catch what's on shore!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 12:15 PM

You should go to bed instead of sowing your ignorant BS...

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic