Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The game that started it all
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,706

The game that started it all

Jul 10, 2018, 2:19 PM
1976.png(127.8 K)

1976. Clemson enters the game with a 2-6-2 record; coots were 5-5 with a bowl bid riding on the outcome. Two future NFL RBs in the coot backfield.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The game that started it all

Jul 10, 2018, 2:42 PM

I’m not sure what you by “it all” but the Tigers had some lean years after 1976. Even with coach Ford in the drivers seat but the recent rise to greatness began in Atlanta when Cat Man kicked a field goal to send the bayou bengals back to the fake Death Valley. Clemson has been a great team since that fabulous night. imo

Jul 10, 2018, 2:54 PM

Yeah I would have to say you’re both correct. Yep, you could debate it till the cows come home but without the late 70’s and 80’s would there be a “today”? Danny should have had at least one more Natty, or at least played for a couple more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re spot on my friend.***

Jul 10, 2018, 6:15 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 2:56 PM

Jim Stucky in the pic. headed for the loose ball.

Red Parker fired the week after Thanksgiving. Only played 11 games in the season back then.

Charley Pell hired.

Gator Bowl 1977(brutal beating at the hands of Pitt.) and 1978 Coach Ford hired (Woody Hayes fired).

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

My opinion is it started with the hiring of Red Parker. He laid the fiundaton. It was a slow build but progress was made from then that culminated with the 81 championship.

Jul 10, 2018, 3:35 PM

Red Parker one of the worst coaches ever at Clemson.

Jul 10, 2018, 3:31 PM

Gamecocks suck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 10, 2018, 3:36 PM

Can this be watched?

Jul 11, 2018, 2:05 PM

you tube

Jul 10, 2018, 3:45 PM

I was a freshman in 1975 and I must respectfully disagree. The most important event in our rise to the top was not a single game. It was a single play. In 1975, I went down to see the Tigers play SCAR in Columbia. They were leading 49-20 with just 54 seconds left on the clock. On 4th down with 10 to go, their quarterback, Jeff Grantz threw a 19 yard pass to their WR Stevie Stephens to run the score up to 56-20. I remember how devastated I felt. But, believe me, it was nothing compared to the team. Rick Teuten (MG) and Jim Stuckey (DT) sat on either side of me in my freshman English class. We were all friends and I love to talk Tiger football with them. On Monday, both were still livid as to how the score was run up. Rich told me that a new DC was coming from Va Tech named Charlie Pell. He totally turned the attitude of the team around to expect to win. Even though we finished 3-6-2 when he was the DC, the next year, Coach Pell was named the HC and the rest as they say is history. So, I say from firsthand knowledge that the play that started us to greatness was a cruel, greedy, non-sportsman like play on 4th and 10 by SCAR.

Jul 10, 2018, 4:15 PM

The post regarding the Jeff Grantz TD is totally correct. Not only was the football team upset, but the Board of Trustees were as well. Those who are to young to recall the 2-9 campaign in 1975 have no idea how events in 1974 - 1976 set the stage for the Pell and Ford coaching careers! Dabo cemented a revival starting with the LSU game, but our newly retired SID, the historian of Tiger sports told the above on radio at one point and the late Jim Philips agreed.

Those under fifty years of age better appreciate what Clemson football is in the midst of because these seasons are rare for the majority of major programs. All you have to do is recognize the fact is to ironically look at Usuck’s overall history by comparison!

Go Tigers!

Jul 10, 2018, 8:43 PM

Yes, those were when we had good basketball teams compared to the football teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: The game that started it all ]

I was there. Only time ever to see CU at the cockroach. And after the game the only time I was ever mooned. We had kicked their tail the previous year. That was a turning point and a low point. In the previous year beating Ga and GT back to back was huge at the time and let us know we could compete. The 1975 team was just too young and we had issues at QB and lost a couple of close games. Beating SC in 76 was the turning point.

Jul 10, 2018, 4:04 PM

So I guess you all mean "restarted," or are you completely discounting some amazing seasons under Coach Howard?

2 undefeated seasons, 7 conference championships, Orange Bowl win...

Jul 10, 2018, 4:22 PM

Coach Howard clearly laid a tremendous legacy out for those who followed, but the decade from 1967-1976 was at best our years in the wilderness so to speak. Anybody who complains about a 12-2 season has no idea what older fans endured in the above multiple seasons!

Jul 10, 2018, 6:11 PM

Yep, they don’t but I can tell you one thing, we wanted things better but we still woke up every day proud to be a Tiger. Still packed the stadium full, celebrating those 2 or 3 wins like they were national championship games!

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,706
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic