Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The game should not have been that close
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,800

The game should not have been that close

Sep 9, 2018, 8:02 AM

The referees were unbelievably bad. THREE pass interference calls were made on Clemson that did not apply and led directly to TWO Texas A&M touchdowns. The PI call applies to catchable balls only (see the quoted rule below). PASSES THAT ARE UNDERTHROWN OR OVERTHROWN 4-5 YARDS AND ESPECIALLY PASSES CAUGHT OUT OF BOUNDS ARE NOT CATCHABLE BALLS.

In addition, there was holding on the Texas A&M offensive line against the Clemson defensive line on EVERY pass play and some run plays. It was only finally called on the last play. The Texas A&M drives would have been killed repeatedly by the holding calls.

Furthermore, the best angle on replay showed the ball going directly over the pylon camera. Every part of the pylon (including the outside part) is considered "in the end zone." Thus, the fumble was a touchback.

ARTICLE 9. Pass Interference: Summary
a. Either Team A or Team B legally may interfere with opponents behind the neutral zone.
b. Players of either team legally may interfere beyond the neutral zone after the pass has been touched. (A.R. 7-3-9:I)
c. Defensive players legally may contact opponents who have crossed the neutral zone IF THE OPPONENTS ARE NOT IN A POSITION TO RECEIVE A CATCHABLE FORWARD PASS.
1. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone are pass interference infractions ONLY IF THE RECEIVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO RECEIVE A CATCHABLE FORWARD PASS.
2. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass does not cross the neutral zone are Rule 9-3-4 infractions and the penalty is enforced from the previous spot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The game should not have been that close

Sep 9, 2018, 8:24 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I was particularly confused by that out of bounds call.

Re: The game should not have been that close

Sep 9, 2018, 12:28 PM

FYI-Clarifications regarding pylons and touchbacks:

SECTION 2. Touchdown
ARTICLE 1. How Scored
A touchdown shall be scored when:

A ball carrier advancing from the field of play has possession of a live ball when it penetrates the plane of the opponent’s goal line. This plane extends beyond the pylons only for a player who touches the ground in the end zone or a pylon. (A.R. 2-23-1:I) (A.R. 8-2-1:I-IX)

COMMENT: A PLAYER WHO TOUCHES THE PYLON (FROM THE FRONT-REGARDLESS THAT A PYLON IS PHYSICALLY LOCATED "OUTSIDE THE BOUNDARY LINES," -IS CONSIDERED IN BOUNDS AND THEREFORE A TOUCHDOWN WHEN CARRYING THE BALL. THE BALL CARRIER NEED ONLY TOUCH THE PYLON. THE PLANE OF THE GOAL LINE EXTENDS BEYOND THE PYLONS-IN OTHER WORDS, TO THE OUTER EDGE OF THE PYLON FROM THE FRONT (MY INTERPRETATION).

ARTICLE 3. Loose Ball Out of Bounds
A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game official or anything else that is out of bounds, or that is on or outside a boundary line.

A ball that touches a pylon is out of bounds behind the goal line.

If a live ball not in player possession crosses a boundary line and then is declared out of bounds, it is out of bounds at the crossing point.

COMMENT: A BALL TOUCHING THE PYLON BEHIND THE GOAL LINE IS OUT OF BOUNDS (NOT IN FRONT OF THE GOAL LINE).

SECTION 5. Safety
ARTICLE 1. How Scored

It is a safety when:

The ball becomes dead out of bounds behind a goal line, except from an incomplete forward pass, or becomes dead in the possession of a player on, above or behind his own goal line, or becomes dead by rule, and the defending team is responsible for the ball being there. (A.R. 6-3-1:IV) (A.R. 7-2-4:I) (A.R. 8-5-1:I-II, IV and VI-X) (A.R. 8-7-2:II) (A.R. 9-4-1:VIII)
When in question, it is a touchback, not a safety.

COMMENT: WHEN IN QUESTION, IT IS A TOUCHBACK, NOT A SAFETY.

SECTION 6. Touchback
ARTICLE 1. When Declared
It is a touchback when:

The ball becomes dead out of bounds behind a goal line, except from an incomplete forward pass, or becomes dead in the possession of a player on, above, or behind his own goal line and the attacking team is responsible for the ball being there (Rule 7-2-4-c) (A.R. 7-2-4:I) (A.R. 8-6-1:I-III)

A kick becomes dead by rule behind the defending team’s goal line and the attacking team is responsible for the ball being there (Exception: Rule 8-4-2-b). (A.R. 6-3-4:III)

COMMENT: THE BALL IS DEAD OUT OF BOUNDS BEHIND THE GOAL LINE (PASSING INSIDE OR OVER A PYLON) AND THE ATTACKING TEAM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BALL'S POSITION.

And this is why we aren't 100% happy with our win

Sep 9, 2018, 12:30 PM

Felt cheated out of so much. Relieved the 13th man could not defeat us.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,800
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic