Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The frustration with basketball in a nutshell...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

The frustration with basketball in a nutshell...

Feb 20, 2019, 12:08 AM

Here's why I as a Clemson fan get frustrated with basketball.

Clemson Basketball (charter ACC member)
NCAAT appearances: 11 (+1 vacated) -all of school history
NIT appearances: 16 - all of school history
Final 4s: 0
Elite 8s: 1
Sweet 16s: 3 (+1 vacated)
ACC titles: 0
ACC RS titles: 1
Only 1 recognized conference title in school history
Wins at Chapel Hill: 0

Georgia Tech (joined ACC 1979)
NCAAT: 15
NIT: 7
NCAA title game appearance: 1
NCAA Final 4s: 2
Elite 8s: 3
Sweet 16s: 6
ACC titles: 3
ACC RS titles: 2
Wins at Chapel Hill: 5

Florida State (joined ACC 1991)
NCAAT: 9
NIT: 7
Elite 8s: 2
Sweet 16s: 4
ACC titles: 1
ACC RS titles: 0
Wins at Chapel Hill: 4

Miami (joined ACC 2004)
NCAAT: 5
NIT: 5
Elite 8s: 0
Sweet 16s: 2
ACC RS titles: 1
Wins at Chapel Hill: 4

Virginia Tech (joined ACC 2004)
NCAAT: 3
NIT: 6
Sweet 16s: 0
Wins at Chapel Hill: 1

Boston College (joined ACC 2005)
NIT: 2
Sweet 16s: 1
Wins in Chapel Hill: 2

Notre Dame (joined ACC 2013)
NIT: 1
Elite 8s: 2
Wins in Chapel Hill: 1

Syracuse (joined ACC 2013)
Final 4s: 1
Elite 8s: 1
Wins in Chapel Hill: 0

Louisville (joined ACC 2014)
NCAAT: 1 (+1 vacated)
Elite 8s: 0 (1 vacated)
Sweet 16s: 0 (1 vacated)
Wins in Chapel Hill: 1

So let's forget about the rest of ACC charter members. Compared to the teams that joined the ACC since then, all of them have done something that Clemson hasn't done in not only the league's inception, but in school history. This is what drives me insane as a fan. Then when you see SC make the Final 4 or Wofford winning at Chapel Hill, it ramps it up even more. All I want to see is Clemson win at Chapel Hill. Win an ACC title. Have a year they can put it together and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation to have some measure of success on the hardwood. But for whatever reason, it seems like it has to be for coaches, players, administrators, and fans. These are the things that have made me grow apathetic to Clemson basketball and honestly to the sport in general.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The frustrating thing is that last year was probably

Feb 20, 2019, 12:15 AM

going to be our best team ever if Grantham hadn't gotten hurt. I honestly think it could've been a Final Four team. Still a great season obviously, one of our best in program history. But it could've been really special.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

"was probably going to be our best team ever"

Feb 20, 2019, 12:32 AM

Come on. Just stop.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "was probably going to be our best team ever"

Feb 20, 2019, 12:36 AM

Well, we were 15-3 with him and he was injured during the 16th win. So without him the team went 10-7.

Not far fetched to say the team could’ve finished with one of the best records in school history had he not gotten injured.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "was probably going to be our best team ever"

Feb 20, 2019, 12:46 AM [ in reply to "was probably going to be our best team ever" ]

There are only a few teams in our history you can argue

Feb 20, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to "was probably going to be our best team ever" ]

were as good or better than last year's Sweet 16 team, and that was WITHOUT Grantham. We were 16-3 when he got injured. It's not far-fetched at all to believe that the addition of a player who is now in the NBA would've made a huge difference to that Sweet 16 team and allowed us to advance farther.

I personally think it could've been a Final Four team. I know you disagree, because you aren't able to say anything positive about Brownell and seem to be looking for reasons to criticize him and his tenure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That really was a good team and fun to watch

Feb 20, 2019, 12:32 AM [ in reply to The frustrating thing is that last year was probably ]

Agree

Feb 20, 2019, 12:39 AM [ in reply to The frustrating thing is that last year was probably ]

Definitely would have helped with Kansas. Grantham has already seen some NBA minutes.

if we're gonna play if

Feb 20, 2019, 11:53 PM [ in reply to The frustrating thing is that last year was probably ]

76-77 team was 22-6
imagine IF skip wise was in his jr year on that team

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't hold your breath on chapel hill

Feb 20, 2019, 10:47 PM

Unless North Carolina has an epic collapse similar to the early 2000s, we never going to win there. There's never going to be a time where we have more talent than they do on the floor. and with the streak being as much publicity as it is, UNC will never let themselves play down. They will lose focus against other teams like Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston college, etc because if they lose to them, then it is ho hum and on with business as usual. But that game get so much focus.

The only way it ever has any sort of chance is with a very senior-laden team that is glued together against a relatively immature UNC team, similar to when we almost won with Booker

I do think we will win the ACC tournament at some point at least once though.

Here is your answer:

Feb 21, 2019, 12:04 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Clemson-spends-far-less-on-basketball-than-just-about-anyone-1887552?tstart=0

If that's a nutshell

Feb 21, 2019, 7:50 AM

what would be elaborate, for you?

Re: The frustration with basketball in a nutshell...

Feb 21, 2019, 8:53 AM

I agree. Thanks for the info without the bashing. I love everything Clemson. I don’t pretend to have the solution I only want continued improvement.

I encourage everyone to push for imptovement/ progress with out the negative rhetoric that comes across as personal towards individuals.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic