Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The football culture at FSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

The football culture at FSU

Nov 21, 2013, 4:11 PM

from the FSU faculty

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Wow....

Nov 21, 2013, 4:25 PM

Made me think of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" as I read this...insanity....

Re: The football culture at FSU

Nov 21, 2013, 4:25 PM

That is a pretty crazy story. I had classes with a bunch of athletes when I was at Clemson, and they were all really well behaved, showed up to class, and generally participated well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2013, 4:32 PM

I saw those at Clemson and the other extreme too. of course this was years ago. rules were different and the coaches were too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2013, 4:37 PM

I'm sure it goes on to some extent at every school. Over the course of my college career at Clemson, I had classes with around 15 guys who were on the men's football and basketball teams, and I didn't see any problems with any of them. Most of them were very quiet, and never had a lot to say unless someone started up a conversation with them.

I realize that is just anecdotal, I'm sure there are and have been bad apples in the Clemson athletic program. I've seen people post bad stories about a few student athletes on here before that were probably true.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The football culture at FSU- I will also say I teach

Nov 21, 2013, 4:44 PM

some college course and have dealt with some real strange and beligerant folks who never have been on an athletic field. as the dept head says we get all kinds here.

I always tell students up front what I expect and what is not allowed. Many still take a few assignments or weeks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The football culture at FSU- I will also say I teach

Nov 21, 2013, 5:59 PM

I had a freshman calculus class with Tree Rollins. At that time, he was the tallest guy I'd ever witnessed. Ducked when he walked through any door...a good habit when you're that tall. That dates me, huh? The guy never missed a class. He was intelligent and participated in all the class discussions. BTW, he married an accountant, I think, who graduated from Clemson. During my time at Clemson, I saw some athletes who saw themselves as something special, but overall, they were pretty level-headed guys. I knew the Bostic brothers, Fuller, Wells, Wyman, Rome...all good guys. Of course, we were 5-6, 7-4, 3-6-2 and 2-9, or somewhere in that neighborhood, in the mid-70s. Not exactly athletic years to boast about. I wouldn't trade those years, or the memories, for anything on Earth. GO TIGERS!

if that story is true..

Nov 21, 2013, 4:26 PM

makes you wonder how much this goes on at every other institution across the nation.

True or not I cannot see Dabo letting his guys get away with

Nov 21, 2013, 4:35 PM

things like that if he knows about it.

You need to be a man and take responsibility for your actions and your actions should be a positive force in society is what Dabo is telling his guys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True or not I cannot see Dabo letting his guys get away with

Nov 21, 2013, 4:50 PM

we have about 85 guys on scholarship at any point. we've had good graduation rates and good luck in the community with Dabo. Human nature being what it is I'm sure guys test the rules even though they are explained up front.

football players are usually the alpha male type. you have to make sure there are checks and balances to stop potential issues early on. if a guy thinks he can get away with something it can get ugly fast. Based on D Allen's example we seem to have a structure in place to help guys grow and succeed personally and academically.

I believe some of this also goes on at Clemson

Nov 21, 2013, 5:14 PM [ in reply to True or not I cannot see Dabo letting his guys get away with ]

* They don't call them "handlers" but there are undergrads that have paid jobs checking on whether or not athletes are in class.

* My father taught at Clemson when Ford was the coach and there were several instances of players that were failing past the drop date magically disappear from his roles but were still playing ball (he would also tell me he was pleasantly surprised by some bright hardworking players but they were more the exception).

* A friend of mine is a retired English instructor and received papers from athletes she could tell were written by another student or advisor.

We are kidding ourselves if we think none of this goes on at Clemson. I do think Dabo and his staff would never go for a threatening or menacing athlete and I like to think that they are a little more focused on the ultimate graduation/end result than Ford's staff was.

One problem that they are trying to overcome is the real fact that many of these young men are nowhere near prepared for college. I like to think our staff if probably dealing with that better than most and trying to get them help rather than cheating.

Re: I believe some of this also goes on at Clemson

Nov 21, 2013, 5:37 PM

* A friend of mine is a retired English instructor and received papers from athletes she could tell were written by another student or advisor.

We are kidding ourselves if we think none of this goes on at Clemson. I do think Dabo and his staff would never go for a threatening or menacing athlete and I like to think that they are a little more focused on the ultimate graduation/end result than Ford's staff was.

If you know it - report it to Vickery Hall. The tutor will be fired. Clemson is very proactive and concerned with not having those things happen here - the things that happened at FSU and UNC with academic fraud.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I believe some of this also goes on at Clemson

Nov 21, 2013, 7:31 PM

It happened under Bowden and she has since retired. She talked to the department head at the time and was discouraged from going further. A majority of the English teachers (at least then) were non-tenured instructors. She had just gotten a divorce and couldn't afford to not have her contract renewed.

I love Clemson and doubt we have as many issues as other schools but to think that professors aren't encouraged to look the other way is to be very naive.

Crazy, crazy stuff. FSU may be in deep Clowney..***

Nov 21, 2013, 4:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Free Shoes University" was just the start of corruption

Nov 21, 2013, 4:54 PM

Bobby Bowden was nothing more than a figurehead for the last decade of his career & obviously the assistants held no one accountable and the boosters were running the show.

Nov 21, 2013, 5:47 PM

One must remember that a team or organization reflects it head. I am so proud Dabo is the head coach at Clemson. It shows up in many ways.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic