Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. FSU 2003
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,181

Clemson vs. FSU 2003

Aug 17, 2019, 2:19 PM

Found myself watching this classic today (note: The Hill is full):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKEHeyBLdY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job,

Aug 17, 2019, 2:22 PM

at least for a few years. But, considering we got Dabo out of the deal, I wouldn't change history, even if I had all the Infinity Stones. (Not to be confused with The Rolling Stones.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job,

Aug 17, 2019, 3:14 PM

I don't think bobby bowden would throw a game to save his son from a firing squad. In the second bowden bowl, if he could have scored a hundred points he would have. During a replay program, the fsu starters were still in the game deep in the fourth quarter. He told the interviewer, I should have taken the starters out by now, but I didn't. That's why one regret I have about last years beat down of fsu, is that bobby bowden wasn't on the fsu side line, taking that butt whuppin' to.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol you're serious***

Aug 17, 2019, 7:38 PM [ in reply to The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yep. It was the day I lost all faith in him.***

Aug 17, 2019, 9:19 PM [ in reply to The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job, ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 11:24 PM [ in reply to The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job, ]

So, did Ted Roof, Lou Holtz, and Phillip Fuller also take a dive for him as well in the following weeks? Tommy Bowden may have had very inconsistent teams, but the whole “Daddy let Tommy Win” in 2003 is as patently absurd of a conclusion in 2019 as it was 16 years ago. Clemson may have stunk in 2004 and 2005 at times, which was typical of Bowden teams, but that 2003 team was playing as well as any team in America by year’s end. No one who watched that 2003 FSU game can honestly say that game was a “dive” game. Good grief. FSU was ranked like #3 or #4 in the country heading into that game, and in the days of the BCS, why would they throw a game with possible National Title implications? That game was in November, not September, remember?

If you were just being sarcastic, I apologize for being so snippy with my reply. If not, I have to tell you that you are absolutely wrong with your assessment of that 2003 FSU game. That was one of the best moments in Clemson history, and after that Wake Forest debacle, that team rallied around Coach Bowden in a way that was very impressive. Very few teams, if any, would have beat Clemson that night. Coach Bowden might have been inconsistent, but the crap he had to put up with from “fans” in 2003 was embarrassing. I felt ashamed to be a Tiger fan because of it. I love Clemson, but it is truly pathetic how many fans treat failing football coaches at Clemson. Fire them? Sure. Ok. However, the vitriolic hate and vile resentment that continues for years after is disgusting. It’s just a game, and they are just coaches of a game. They aren’t serial killers or tyrannical megalomaniacal mass murders. Some fans really need to lighten up. A lot.

Aug 18, 2019, 11:11 PM

we did play some good ball after that. will never forget making fulmer look positively stupid in the peach bowl that year.

Aug 19, 2019, 12:04 AM [ in reply to The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job, ]

I am sorry but I don’t know of any Coach with the integrity of Bobby Bowden that would throw a game to save his son’s job. To even make that suggestion is irresponsible and IMO an embarrassment that a Clemson fan would even suggest such a thing would occur.

I am sure games have been thrown by coaches and players for other reasons such as money, gambling or an illegal activity resulting in financial gain. But for BB to throw a game for his son is BS!

To even suggest something like that about a member of the Bowden family , a family that I consider a class act is way off base.

Let’s not forget the good things Tommy accomplished while at Clemson. Without the TB hire Clemson would not be the program it is today. Not just because he hired Dabo. Some Clemson fans tend to only remember the negative things about TB’s time at Clemson. TB had a lasting positive impact on the program that many Clemson fans tend to forget. He is the one who really began the culture change at Clemson. Dabo a young energetic HC with imagination and great vision has been able to take the solid foundation left to him by TB and turn Clemson into an Elite program. Dabo has continued and improved on Clemson’s culture transformation.

We should be grateful to both TB and Dabo for their contributions and the success of Clemson football program. One advantage Dabo has over TB is that he has been given a lot more money to hire better assistant coaches, improve facilities and make Clemson a national brand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 12:13 AM [ in reply to The day Papa Bowden took a dive, and saved Tommy's job, ]

You are kidding about the dive right? ??

the days of the full hill are gone it would seem. and i have

Aug 17, 2019, 5:22 PM

yet to get a clear explanation of what administrative official screwed it up and why?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fire marshal***

Aug 17, 2019, 7:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: fire marshal***

Aug 17, 2019, 11:55 PM

Fire the marshal

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. FSU 2003

Aug 17, 2019, 9:08 PM

I had the privilege to stand on the field at about the 15 yard line on the north side on west end. Cold but wow it was fun.

Aug 17, 2019, 9:35 PM

I was on the hill that night... it was insanely full. After the game we were stuck on the hill trying to rush the field. So many people were pushing forward at the same time it was chaos... so much fun though, probably a little dangerous, I can remember one point I’m pretty sure my feet weren’t even on the ground.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 10:13 PM

I was in the student section that night. Loudest stadium I have ever been in and it was the loudest I have ever heard it that night.

I was also at Wake Forest the week before - what a turnaround!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Aug 17, 2019, 9:37 PM

You lost me with tommy Bowden thumbnail

Aug 17, 2019, 10:18 PM

I get to very few games, but I was at that one. we had em going all night, but I was both thrilled with the growing possibility of a win and scared the wheels were going to fall off at each snap. that was a heck of a night to be there.

Aug 18, 2019, 4:37 AM

It was either 97 or 99 when FSU came in and we had our all-time record home attendance .
Think it was 99 but not sure , over 86k in attendance . The Hill and everything else was standing room only . I saw orange when I closed my eyes for the next 3 nights ;)

We lost .

Message was crowd-sourced by: Tigerdug23®

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,181
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic