Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The crazy history of Brad Scott in relation to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

The crazy history of Brad Scott in relation to Clemson

Apr 11, 2017, 2:37 PM

I don't know what just made me think of this...but how crazy has Brad's life been in relation to our program?

He was an assistant coach at FSU during Danny's last years here, when the Puntrooskie happened and when Danny returned the pain the following year.

He was the FSU offensive coordinator when they joined the ACC and beat us in year 1, pasted us in year 2 (1993) with a Heisman winner and a National Title team.

He rode that success to become the head coach of South Carolina, took them to their first ever bowl win which you would think would count for something but instead they fired him. Was immediately picked up by Tommy when he was hired and we got to watch Lou Holtz go 0-11.

Brad served as a TE coach, a stellar recruiter considering what we were working with at the time, OL coach and our offensive coordinator for OUR first win over FSU since Danny left, the 63-17 game and the win over Tennessee.

During this time period, his son walks on at Clemson as a WR with a rumored "very strong" opinion of SC based on running his dad out of town, brought up in Brad's ways of the recruiting force and offensive game planning. Plays at the same time as another walk on WR by the name of Tony Elliot. Goes on to win a state title as a high school coach in his first and only year before winding up back at Clemson a couple of years later as a WR coach when a certain William Christopher Swinney vacates the position.

Jeff Scott has been the WR coach for many of the greatest WR in Clemson history including Jacoby Ford, Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins (recruited by Brad), Martavis Bryant and Charon Peake who were picked up in the NFL draft so far.

He and former teammate Tony Elliot served as the co-offensive coordinators that took us to two national title games, winning one of them with...ironically enough...a touchdown pass to another walk on wide receiver by the name of Hunter Renfrow. So far we have a head coach and two offensive coordinators who are former walk on wide receivers, so based on the trend it's likely that there will be a Coach Renfrow in our future one of these days.

And...not to kick them while they're down but...none of that would have happened if South Carolina hadn't fired the first coach to win them a bowl game in their 102 years of history. Weird.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

Re: The crazy history of Brad Scott in relation to Clemson

Apr 11, 2017, 2:40 PM

It really is amazing when you think about how he (and Jeff) have all of these "branches" to significant points in the evolution of our program! I've liked Brad since the moment we snapped him up after USuCk ran him off.

Also, I thought I recalled hearing that he has a strong tie or some kind of connection with IMG, which if true, obviously has been a boon for us on the recruiting trail the past few years...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2017, 2:49 PM

Very cool post... Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been lucky...

Apr 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

enough to meet Brad a couple of times away form Clemson . He was very gracious with his time and we of course talked about Clemson football . He was a great addition to the Clemson family .

key man in the plan**

Apr 11, 2017, 3:52 PM

Brad now works with the kids (recruits) to get them enrolled,into the program early ( January enrollment* ) -- extra practice for the freshmen,is always a ""BIG BOOST"" -- that CEO in charge of football ( AKA Coach Swinney ) had a master plan from day one !!! seems to be working so far !!! GO TIGERS !!!

Apr 11, 2017, 4:06 PM

Coach Scott (Sr.) Is one of the most down to earth coaches I have ever met. I know exactly why guys wanted to come play for him. To be honest he is part of the reason I fell in love with ( and ended up going to) Clemson my senior year in high school. I will never forget coming into my HS after senior skip day and finding out from my coaches that he had been by to see me. The rest is history...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget to add that Brad was on the sideline when Jeff

Apr 11, 2017, 5:56 PM

held the snap for the kick vs. Scar in 2000 during "The Catch-Part II".

Watching your son be in the "battery" during a last second FG to beat an arch-rival has to be an amazing feeling.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liked Coach Brad as a Coot HC..

Apr 11, 2017, 6:15 PM

And 110% more now! He's been invaluable to Clemson football now for umpteen years & certainly a tremendous loss for the Coots program in that he could have done similar things, maybe, for them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Liked Coach Brad as a Coot HC..

Apr 11, 2017, 8:55 PM

Brad and his wife are really really nice people. He looked at my condo at Clemson and we bought the house he built in Seneca on lake Hartwell across from our Ad and down the road from T Bowden. He really reached out to my kids and I was really impressed with him and his wife, so I see where Jeff gets it from. So great to have this family at Clemson. Now you know why Dabo loves Clemson too... the same reason we all do. There is only one CLEMSON!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2017, 6:16 PM

I call that KARMA! I have thought many times the irony that exists with that whole series of events.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stuff ,thanks for the story !

Apr 11, 2017, 7:49 PM

it is so weird and karmatic , when you consider all this ...mind boggling ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad did have a rough final year with the capons

Apr 11, 2017, 8:00 PM

Does anyone remember why? With his recruiting prowess one has to wonder if he made some bad decisions when hiring assistants.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic