Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The coots are so demoralized (long article)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

The coots are so demoralized (long article)

Jan 3, 2019, 10:19 PM

Gamecock Central alerts and newsletters are completely customizable! Please see the bottom of this email to update your preferences.

Est. 1998 - Your Home For Gamecock Sports
Welcome to Scott Davis's weekly email newsletter.

Scott has followed Gamecock sports for more than 30 years

Nowhere Near?
Scott Davis, Gamecock Central columnist
Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019

When I was a budding young sports fan growing up in the 1980s, I cut my teeth on the WTBS Superstation broadcasts of Atlanta Braves games. Like many kids my age, I quickly fell under the spell of Braves play-by-play man Skip Caray, perhaps the most acquired taste in the history of sports announcing.

Part sarcastic know-it-all, part world-weary doomsayer, and part cheerleader, Caray's broadcasts sounded like what was going on inside my head when I watched the Braves. He was smug, condescending, terrified, overjoyed and worn-out, all at the same time.

Many fans hated him. I loved him.

One of his pet phrases was "nowhere near," and you could always count on him to utter it with profound resignation when a pitcher threw ball after ball after ball with not a strike in sight.

"Nowhere nearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr," he'd groan as a Braves pitcher threw yet another ball or walked the bases loaded (which were things that happened to Braves pitchers pretty much every game in the 1980s).

The phrase ultimately took up permanent residence in my skull at some point around 1987 or so, so that I now will occasionally blurt it in my daily life some three-plus decades later (for example, when another driver speeds up beside me on I-285 here in Atlanta in attempt to skirt in front of me just before they have to brake for the drivers in front of them, I'll speed up, send a Caray-like smug glance their way as I drive by them, and think "Nowhere nearrrrrrrrr.").

Oddly enough, I found myself thinking about that phrase as I watched South Carolina's lifeless performance in the Belk Bowl, one that saw them getting run out of Charlotte by a 7-5 Virginia team who shut out the Gamecocks with as much as ease as I have polishing off an entire bag of Lay's.

Nowhere near.

That's what I was thinking in the wake of what was arguably South Carolina's most embarrassing performance in the three-year-old Will Muschamp Era. As in, this program is nowhere near -- not even close -- to contention for an SEC championship, much less an appearance in the College Football Playoff or an actual bowl game like the Rose or Sugar.

There are two ways to look at this, I think.

One is that the USC program is closer to competing for a league title than they were when Will Muschamp and company arrived. I don't see any way you could argue this point. The Gamecocks were coming off a 3-9 season at the time, lost the winningest coach in school history at midseason, and had less than zero momentum heading to the following season.

Recruiting was in complete disarray. Morale was nonexistent.

All Muschamp has done since is take his program to a bowl game every season, deliver a product that is almost always competitive regardless of the competition and revitalize the recruiting operation.

So yes, South Carolina is indeed closer to excellence than they were three years ago at this time.

But being closer is not the same thing as being close.

And we all know it.

Searching for a Breakthrough
The question most Gamecock fans seem to be asking right now is: How close should the program be to elite status after three seasons under this regime? Where is this thing headed, exactly, after what we all saw in Charlotte?

My very unscientific, very non-statistically-sound overview of the Gamecock fans I'm regularly in contact with appears to be that most believe USC should have more momentum heading into 2019 -- perhaps significantly more.

If I were to write one sentence that I think describes the current Gamecock fan mood right now, it would be this: I thought we'd be landing more difference-makers and elite talents in recruiting by now.

Again, every Gamecock fan may not feel this way. But I feel comfortable -- quite comfortable, in fact -- saying that a large number do. Most of us feel like USC has the strongest recruiting staff we've ever had here, as well as innovative new approaches in branding the program, plus a staff that quite simply works harder than any of the ones who roamed the Columbia campus in decades past.

I think all of those things are unequivocally true.

I also think that despite all that, the recruiting classes we've landed under Coach Muschamp are relatively similar to the ones we landed under Steve Spurrier. Essentially, there are enough quality athletes to keep you competitive and respectable. You'll probably win as many as you lose, maybe even upset a powerhouse once in awhile.

But seriously compete for an SEC title? We aren't there.

The question is whether we're getting there.

Nowhere near? I don't know.

I'm just not sure we're near enough.

The Recommendation
I picked up a copy of the late David Foster Wallace's collection of 1990s essays, "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again," at the library the other day.

Back in the mid-90s, I had a midnight-to-6 a.m. shift at a Columbia radio station while I was a student at USC. Not a single living soul was listening to me at that hour. So I largely passed the time by playing absolutely any song I wanted to play at any time, and reading dense, brainy magazine articles written by Wallace, who was beginning to make a name for himself as a deeply interesting, always entertaining and undeniable talent.

His first-hand tales of spending a few days at the Illinois State Fair, on board a cruise ship or on the set of a David Lynch movie may not sound scintillating at first blush, but I couldn't put the book down. As weird as this may sound, I feel like a better human being for having read it. I also laughed out loud throughout my read, and that, quite honestly, never happens.

Check it out: https://www.amazon.com/Supposedly-Fun-Thing-Never-Again/dp/0316925284. You'll thank me.

See what's happening on Gamecock Central today!
Have a question? Need help? team@gamecockcentral.com

Help us grow. Thank you for being a part of the Gamecock Central community. If you enjoyed this email, please forward it to a friend or two. If you were forwarded this email, you can sign up here to start receiving your own.
Tweet
Forward
Celebrating 20 Years! Established in 1998, Gamecock Central delivers in-depth and insider coverage of Gamecock sports and recruiting, and is home to The Insiders Forum. Not a member of Gamecock Central? Get a free or premium account.

Football: News | Schedule/Scores | Future Schedules | Roster | Printable Roster | Scholarship Breakdown | Depth Chart | Redshirt Tracker | Weekly TV Schedule | NFL Gamecocks | National Stat Rankings | Offensive Stats | Defensive Stats | SEC Standings | Polls

Football Recruiting: Recruit Search & Database | Commitment List | Position Rankings | Team Rankings | Visit Dates | Scholarship Offers

Basketball: MBB & WBB News | MBB Roster | MBB Schedule | MBB Statistics | MBB SEC Standings | MBB Polls | WBB Roster | WBB Schedule | WBB Statistics | WBB SEC Standings | WBB Polls

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The coots are so demoralized (long article)

Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 PM

Sorry, but Columbia, S.C. is a dump. Ask around, it’s a well known secret.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2019, 10:01 AM

We who live here cannot dispute the fact that it is a dump.

Why did I read that?

Jan 3, 2019, 11:58 PM

?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Why did I read that?

Jan 4, 2019, 8:59 AM

True, it was long, and actually not a bad read; however, he needs to work on his closing (summary?) skills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Schadenfreude***

Jan 4, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Why did I read that? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the lulz. The “elite status” lulz.

Jan 4, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Why did I read that? ]

I did, in fact, literally, laugh out loud seeing the words “elite status” as something coots even think about.
That they would even think of the University of Suck football program in those terms is both weird and pathetic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: For the lulz. The “elite status” lulz.

Jan 4, 2019, 12:22 PM

tiger_swimmer®

That was the precise reason I posted this. I couldn't stop laughing. Elite.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2019, 7:36 AM

+ 1 for accurate description - long article

I did gleam one fact , " product that is almost always competitive". It does sum them up in two words ' almost competitive ' .

well-written, intelligent, honest - very uncootlike

Jan 4, 2019, 7:47 AM

From the head coot cheerleader (Hootie), to the dearly departed (Troper Del), to the typical lumpen proletariat coots screwing the parking lot by the portajohns, rarely do I see such intelligence and honesty. This coot is exceptional.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's so demoralized, he

Jan 4, 2019, 9:07 AM

Simply stopped...like, slamming on the brakes 'stopped'!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where's the rest of it?

Jan 4, 2019, 11:00 AM

surely it didnt just stop like that ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Could care less about anything related to them. Irregardless

Jan 4, 2019, 11:10 AM

of the majority of the posts on this board someway related to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 4, 2019, 11:14 AM

The coots seem to be stuck in a dream world in which Columbia is the type of destination that should exude greatness. ??????????#COOTS??????????

They are also amoralized.***

Jan 4, 2019, 12:47 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic