Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The brownell era isn’t about the FSU wins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

The brownell era isn’t about the FSU wins

Mar 5, 2020, 7:30 AM

It’s about the VT losses.

I just can’t understand the support for this guy. 10 years is plenty enough data to prove my point and if you guys think next year will be better.... you’re no different then our little brothers in Columbia clinging onto “ next year “.

At this point you literally have to be a moron to think he’s the right guy. Cut bait and start over.... I hear all the time we don’t care about basketball and I’m starting to believe it.

End this nightmare.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every time I hear a Clemson fan say give Brownell next year

Mar 5, 2020, 7:32 AM

All I can think of is the coots in Football. It's humiliating.

Re: Every time I hear a Clemson fan say give Brownell next year

Mar 5, 2020, 8:03 AM

Wrong comparison as USC has had better history of football than Clemson in basketball.

Better comparison - stay in ACC
Clemson in basketball = Wake Forest in football

LMAO...I don't think so.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:12 AM

Do some research so I don't have to do it for you.

Uhhh...thas about the dumbest "correction" EVER!

Mar 5, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Every time I hear a Clemson fan say give Brownell next year ]

U6uC in football has zero history moran.

Re: Every time I hear a Clemson fan say give Brownell next year

Mar 5, 2020, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Every time I hear a Clemson fan say give Brownell next year ]

Nah. Coots have been historically bad in football.

Re: The brownell era isn’t about the FSU wins

Mar 5, 2020, 7:50 AM

It's time to move on.

Judge Keller isn't going to like this.***

Mar 5, 2020, 7:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

AMEN

The buyout is $4 mil. Do you think there is actually $4mil

worth of interest/concern out there for boosters to pony up the cash?

I mean FSU started a lemonade stand to get rid of Willie T.

My guess is, Clemson wants to win in BB. But I'm not sure they are willing to fork out $4 mil + buy a more expensive coach.

We will see how committed to basketball Clemson is when this season is done. If history has a say, then he will get an extension with a lower buyout.

Time will tell.

Do you actually know the buyout is $4M?

Mar 5, 2020, 8:12 AM

I keep seeing people post that watchstadium link, using that as evidence of the buyout, but the article doesn't actually call it a buyout. Have you seen the $4M buyout number somewhere else?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I don't think it's nearly that high...

Mar 5, 2020, 8:36 AM

Under the terms of Brownell’s former contract, the buyout was outrageously high. However, the contract was amended which significantly reduced the buyout figures. Now, if Brownell were to be terminated prior to 4/30/20, the buyout would be in the $500,000 to $850,000 range.

Here is a link to a 2017 article from ShakintheSouthland

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2017/4/20/15374454/clemson-extends-contract-of-brad-brownell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be willing to chip in my IPTAY pdo rate share to get

Mar 5, 2020, 8:53 AM

rid of Brownell. I applaud FSU for having the guts to make a change with its football program.

Re: I would be willing to chip in my IPTAY pdo rate share to get

Mar 5, 2020, 8:57 AM

CURAISED said:

rid of Brownell. I applaud FSU for having the guts to make a change with its football program.

Look another idiot! This clown is comparing our basketball program to FSU's football program. You do realize that FSU won a national title within the last 10 years right?

You do realize there is a completely different standard for FSU football right?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you realize FSU basketball is in the top 10???***

Mar 5, 2020, 8:59 AM

That article isn't about his current contract

Mar 5, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to I don't think it's nearly that high... ]

The contract in that article expires after the 2020-2021 season. I believe he's currently under contract through the 2023-2024 season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Do you actually know the buyout is $4M?

Mar 5, 2020, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Do you actually know the buyout is $4M? ]

I haven’t seen any mention of his buyout prior to thus article. But his contract goes through 2024 and was valued at an average of $2.5 million per year. So he’s still owed more than $10 million. A 40% buyout wouldn’t be very be unusual or excessive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Let's do it !!! The first round for everyone is on me !!!!***

Mar 5, 2020, 8:12 AM [ in reply to The buyout is $4 mil. Do you think there is actually $4mil ]

Mar 5, 2020, 8:26 AM

Complete idiots

The mood swings on this board are akin to a bipolar woman on her period.

Sorry that you can't rationalize losing to VT. What people don't get is that we are still a slightly above average young team that is inconsistent despite winning against FSU, Duke, and Louisville. What those wins showed us is this team has a ton of upside.

We simply did not make shots and VT did. That happens in basketball. We had a TON of open 3's and we didn't make them. VT did. That was the difference in the game.

VT took away our inside game and gave us the 3. We had open 3's and didn't make them. End of story.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't often agree with you, but you're spot on with this

Mar 5, 2020, 8:38 AM

post. That loss last night is not due to anything Brad did or did not do. VT hit a lot of shots, and most of them were really well contested shots. We missed a lot of shots, and many of them were open shots. Missed shots, turnovers and fouls killed us and kept us from working the ball to the post.

Re: I don't often agree with you, but you're spot on with this

Mar 5, 2020, 8:44 AM

This is part of the problem... you guys defending this nonsense.

It’s not brownell fault we took 35 3’s? It’s not his fault he looked scared on the sideline? It’s not his fault his players looked disinterested? It’s not his fault they play tight?

Part of a problem with anything in life is the enabling factor. You guys enable.... you won’t except the fact he’s a lame duck.

Thank you for being brave enough to tell the truth.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:52 AM

Some people would not know the truth if it was a hammer that hit them upside the head.

No, it's not his fault we took 35 threes.

Mar 5, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't often agree with you, but you're spot on with this ]

Did you watch the offensive sets we were running all night? They were clearly trying to work the ball to the high and low post.

VT played outstanding interior defense and our guys just settled for open outside shots. What do you think we should have done differently?

Not take 35 3's when we weren't hitting them?***

Mar 5, 2020, 9:02 AM

By doing what exactly? Almost every possession started with

Mar 5, 2020, 9:08 AM

either a handoff or screen designed to either penetrate, hit the 4 cutting from the top of the key towards the basket, or pass to the high post. VT played great interior defense. So please be more specific, what could we have done differently?

Yup #138 team in the nation have us figured out...

Mar 5, 2020, 9:24 AM

We should settle for #139 ever year.

VT's NET ranking was 87 heading into the game last night

Mar 5, 2020, 9:28 AM

But you're avoiding the question. If you had been the head coach last night, what would you have done differently to get the ball inside more?

Re: VT's NET ranking was 87 heading into the game last night

Mar 5, 2020, 10:10 AM

Drive and draw fouls like any top team would do. Not settle. It’s been a Brownell trademark.

But what should they have done differently to create more of

Mar 5, 2020, 10:22 AM

those opportunities? It's not that they weren't trying to penetrate. It didn't help that Dawes got into early foul trouble and he is our best guard when it comes to driving and finishing around the rim. We were screening early and often to create those opportunities but VT was very fast and efficient with their defensive rotations to close the passing lanes and cut off those drives just inside the arc.

Re: VT's NET ranking was 87 heading into the game last night

Mar 5, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to VT's NET ranking was 87 heading into the game last night ]

You’re actually making my point.

So let’s just say vt was “ taking away “ what we wanted to do..... do you continue to do the same thing over and over and over and over expecting a different outcome?

Yes, that’s coaching.

Dabo has been so successful not just because of the National championships.... it’s because he’s built a consistent product where we show up and beat the teams we’re supposed to beat, you know.... like a 6-12 vt team with a TON ON THE LINE.

Wake up dude, you’re not living in reality.

I'm living in reality. I thought our coach should have been

Mar 5, 2020, 10:39 AM

let go years ago and I haven't been shy about criticizing him this year. I am only talking about the game last night. We were not out-coached, we were out-played. We were out-coached several times this year, including and especially when we were embarrassed at Wake. Last night was not one of those nights. We weren't trying to do the same thing over and over and over and over as you said. We were running high ball screens and high pick and rolls. We were running off ball screens trying to get guys cutting into the lane. We tried entry passes to the high post. None of it was working because VT was exceptional on defense last night, coupled with them hitting some fantastic outside, heavily contested shots, especially off of their floppy action which is extremely tough to defend for 40 minutes.

Now that being said, I did get frustrated last night that, while running different looks through it, we did seem to run the same base motion for the first 30 minutes. That was the predictable part, but the different looks and screens out of that base was designed to find a lot of different ways to get the ball inside. VT just out-hustled our guys.

Turnovers, fouls, and not being able to get the ball inside.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to I don't often agree with you, but you're spot on with this ]

You are right. None of that is BB's fault. The players are supposed to take care of that on their own.

Who is responsible for the performance of this team?

Mar 5, 2020, 8:52 AM

Who recruited these players?

Time for accountability.

Yes, players are supposed to take care of that on their own

Mar 5, 2020, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Turnovers, fouls, and not being able to get the ball inside. ]

by not moving when screening, catching passes in the high post as opposed to letting it bounce off your foot and avoid committing stupid fouls away from the ball.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: The brownell era isn’t about the FSU wins ]

At lease they gave Hemenway more than 20 minutes. He was 3 for 6 on 3's.

We have not been a great team at any time this year...

Mar 5, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: The brownell era isn’t about the FSU wins ]

If anyone says otherwise then they are delusional. Can we beat great teams? Sure...so that shows us the talent is there. Then why are we losing to VT, Yale, GT, Miami, Minnesota, and Wake Forest?

As a fan base, our expectations are incredibly low.

Mar 5, 2020, 8:39 AM

Love Brownell or hate him, we have been so beat down by a lack of success that we have come to accept it as inevitable. Some actually have bought into the absurd notion that it takes 10+ years to build a good basketball program; that because we're Clemson, we are in a uniquely horrible, insurmountable situation. Many of our best, most faithful fans, with the best of intentions, have bought into this steaming pile of crap. It's almost like how abused people identify with and defend their abusers at all cost, definitely like a mass clinical depression. Cognitive therapy is one of the most effective therapies for treating this disorder. It is based on the idea that being depressed is often largely due to believing negative ideas that are factually untrue, and that by realizing that, and disputing and challenging those ideas, the patient begins to realize they are false, and therefore these false beliefs lose their power, and the situation begins to change for the better. We need a good dose of cognitive therapy at Clemson. We need to challenge those false ideas, and realize that we can have a really good basketball program, it doesn't take 10 years to get there, and we need to quit making excuses. We need to realize that this just isn't right, and we can and should do something about it. Not only can we pull ourselves out of the misery, we can actually thrive. That is the truth we need to embrace, and our expectations need to fall in line with that truth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Its really embarrassing...Reminds me of the coots...

Mar 5, 2020, 8:44 AM

Happy with 7-6 and 8-5 football season because they "Make the postseason"

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic