Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The biggest negative I see with an 8 team playoff is...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

The biggest negative I see with an 8 team playoff is...

Dec 14, 2018, 6:32 AM

Folks are complaining this year, that Notre Dame as getting five weeks to prep, and we only get four. Just like with Bama last year. If you add a quarterfinal round two weeks after the conference championship games, ND and any non CCG participant, would get three weeks to prepare, versus only two for the CCG participants, resulting in 50% more prep time for those teams. That's a pretty big advantage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The biggest negative I see with an 8 team playoff is...

Dec 14, 2018, 7:03 AM

One way to negate that potential advantage: make the first round games always be at the home of the four highest-seeded conference champions... since Notre Dame is not a member of any conference for football, they can NEVER host a first round playoff game (unless they want to go all-in, that is!)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 7:34 AM

There is only one way to negate that potential advantage
The Committee or the NCAA has to"MAKE",( or "FORCE") Notre Dame to join "A CONFERENCE" or they don't go.
PERIOD.

You could nearly fix that with a small addition to....

Dec 14, 2018, 7:47 AM

NCAA rules. Forbid teams who make the cut without a CCG from practicing or participating in organized efforts to prepare for the week everyone else is preparing for the CCGs.

That doesn't fix the rest and recuperation factor but it gets the issue half way home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You could nearly fix that with a small addition to....

Dec 14, 2018, 9:37 AM

They already do that by limiting how many practices a team can do after the season and before bowls to 15 practices. The real advantage is the coaches get to go on the road for recruiting that week. But what would be a better recruiting tool? actually recruiting or being in an additional game where the team gets to practice.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

doesn't fix getting an extra week to heal either witch is

Dec 15, 2018, 12:19 PM [ in reply to You could nearly fix that with a small addition to.... ]

more important than extra practice late in the yr.

Dec 14, 2018, 7:47 AM

They should add a wild card type game to the current system. A game that is not necessarily a play in game, but a game that would match the two top teams not in a conference championship game or match undefeated teams. Have the understanding that non p5 team (ie UCF) would have to forego a conference championship game to have any chance to be in the 4 team playoff. This year should have matched UCF and Notre Dame.

Dec 14, 2018, 8:00 AM

Won't always work. What if Michigan was ranked ahead of UGA?

Do away with Conference Championship Games. Take 10 Division Winners (re-align Divisions every 3-4 years), 6 at large teams (ND, non P5, UGA and/or Bama to keep them from whinning). Top 8 host 1st round games. 2nd round at typical Conf CG/Bowl sites, final 2 like they are played now. Cut back to 11 reg season games, no FCS teams. 1st round on Thanksgiving weekend?

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is just a pipedream! Conferences are NOT giving up the

Dec 15, 2018, 12:06 PM

conference championship games...SEC has already said as much! You are not going to get an expanded playoff by trying to totally reinvent the wheel! Keep the 5 CCGs, those winner's are guaranteed a spot, add the top ranked G5 team and the two highest ranked non CCG winners. Play the first round two weeks after the CCGs, at the highest ranked team's home field. That is doable!

What you are suggesting may one day work, but that's a LONG way off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 9:33 AM

You do know that they are allowed only 15 practices before the game just like us. They may have been able to study film a little but there was now way for sure to know that they would be facing us. They could have just as easily ended up being number 4 and face Bama. So the narrative of them having extra time to prepare is not true. That was the same with Bama last year. The only difference in that game was our offense decided to stay in the locker room for the game.

Dec 14, 2018, 9:47 AM

Exactly. I see an extra week of rest (and those healing from small procedures etc) as more of a benefit than any prep or practice.

Dec 14, 2018, 10:54 AM

I really do think it should be 6 teams with no automatic bids. Give the 1 and 2 seeds a bye. If you give automatic bids teams can give up and rest guys if they are 10-0 and already have won there division. I feel like 6 teams and no automatic bids will keep things much more competitive.

Automatic bids are fine, as long as it's for CCG winners

Dec 15, 2018, 12:11 PM

You are dreaming if you think the conferences are giving up their CCGs.

Dec 15, 2018, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: The biggest negative I see with an 8 team playoff is... ]

89, you are spot on.
I think this should be the next version of post season. Four is not enough, especially this year, and eight is too big of a jump,
No automatic berths. What if Pitt got lucky and beat us? A five loss Pitt team has no right playing in the CFP.

on the flip side

Dec 15, 2018, 12:21 PM

That’s more time for them to lose momentum.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic