Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers

Jul 3, 2013, 10:37 AM

ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers

Jul 3, 2013, 10:56 AM

If this ESPN expert says it, it must be true. Clemson was weak in the secondary last year but a lot of prime time players got banged up .... especially Robinson. 2013 will be a different story. Last year our OL was supposed to be the weakness and that didn't transpire either. Look for the new coach and a healthy group of corners and safeties turn this predicted weakness into a strength of this team. McKenzie will be a difference maker early in the season. I hope UGA is counting on us being weak in the defensive backfield.

Very well said

Jul 3, 2013, 11:00 AM

I am still going to worried about the secondary though. I certainly hope they surprise everyone like the O-line did last year, but I just can't feel confidence right now. It's hard to be when you're going to be relying on true freshmen, even if they are former five stars. I'm hoping for good news once practices with the new guys start!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very well said

Jul 3, 2013, 11:07 AM

There will be a number of quality upper classmen ready to play on August 31st. Last year we only had six players who saw playing time after the injuries. Now everyone is healthy and the results will show on the field. The new guys will work their way into the lineup and we will be extra strong by mid season. Count on the new coach to make a difference. He really did do a great job in Raleigh. I guess that is why Dabo went after him.
Get the special teams read to play and we will be o.k..... imo.

OK, if you were picking our weakness what would it be?

Jul 3, 2013, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

She had to pick something, and secondary is the clear answer with RB probably 2nd.

Jul 3, 2013, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

I agree on second the DL will be better one would think so hopefully with less time to pass due to better pass rush we have that working for us too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh...I think that's basically what she said.***

Jul 3, 2013, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

No depth at safety except true freshmen which is scary.***

Jul 3, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2013, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

I agree, these guys will be hungry for some revenge as well as success. Itching to remove that weakest link label. Nobody likes to be called weak. They have many reasons to be motivated. Last opportunity for some DBs. I'm sure they are all-in in all they are doing for their closing statement at Clemson Univ.

Message was edited by: oldschtiger70®

Jul 5, 2013, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

I seriously doubt UGA will count on you guys being weak ANYWHERE in your lineup. When you play a team that can put the amount of points on the board Clemson is capable of. You OVERLOOK NOTHING!Expect them to come out the gate hard! Yall need to rattle them by jumping the lead quick, & rush!!!!

dude our secondary got burned all season***

Jul 5, 2013, 11:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

Jul 3, 2013, 11:09 AM

Shes probably right, either secondary or RB will be our weakest unit this year, but mostly because the other units are pretty strong.

Exactly***

Jul 3, 2013, 11:10 AM

The biggest area of concern

Jul 3, 2013, 11:18 AM

for me is kickoff and punt coverage and the return game. Last year we were very average in those areas and that is what determines field position. Field position is EVERYTHING in football. It determines how thick your playbook will be. With Boyd and the skill guys who play with him, Clemson is an almost impossible team to defend when they are free to run any play the coach calls for.
I hope we can find a big time return man, a la Spiller, and get the ball to Boyd around mid field. Look out if that happens. Is it going to be G.Hop? I love Humphries but he ain't the guy to return punts. Look for the new stars to be a big part of the special teams unit.

Re: The biggest area of concern

Jul 3, 2013, 12:18 PM

Well I sure as heck hate risking Sammy on returning punts and the kick off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to The biggest area of concern ]

Yes, that what gave FSU that early christmas present in Talla. Fla. last year. They didn't have to work hard to comeback during the second half. Eliminate the special team play and who knows where we would have finished the season. 12-1 at worst. Returning to the car that night, many fans knew this as well, because there were many of good compliments on how good and well we played. Maybe Scott and Quinn if he comits will give us what we needs. There are some determine altheles in this year and next year class. We will see snd sooner than we think.

I'm thinking TE may be a problem

Jul 3, 2013, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: ESPN: Weak and strong: Clemson Tigers ]

moreso than RB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't foresee TE being a problem at all

Jul 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

Leggett really impressed in the spring and has since added weight apparently. McCullough I thought played well, too. He is a bigger option that can be used as a more reliable blocker on run and play action. And we always have Darrell Smith at the H-back to lay some lumber

but Leggett's a freshman, McCullough hasn't done anything...

Jul 3, 2013, 11:46 AM

and Darrell Smith isn't really a TE. Seckinger is currently listed as the starter, and while I think he'll be a good pass catcher, he's about 30 lbs. too small.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So freshman can't contribute?

Jul 3, 2013, 12:10 PM

McCullough RS'd last season so it would make sense he hasn't done anything. And I'm aware the differences between H-back and TE. But Smith is a more than capable blocker. Not saying it's going to be a position of strength but collectively should have decent production. With all the attention our WR's will be getting, makes for some open passes to TE's

it's an unknown commodity

Jul 3, 2013, 12:11 PM

which is why I'm saying it's a question mark. I hope they do well, but there's not really been any reason yet to expect that TE will be anything other than a weakness.

recent production from the position tells me it (t/ e posi-

Jul 6, 2013, 10:45 AM

tion) is well-coached, and used correctly. i say the t/e position now is in a plug and fill mode. plug in the next guy, and the problem is solved. our utilization and production (see nfl rosters)) from that position almost assures us we will get high-quality h.s. t/e's willing and wanting to come to clemson to play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: but Leggett's a freshman, McCullough hasn't done anything...

Jul 6, 2013, 11:34 AM [ in reply to but Leggett's a freshman, McCullough hasn't done anything... ]

IMHO all of these guys will be fine and productive..we will use them in the right situation and they will still be well coached..I am not worried about our T/E`s

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to have a TE on the field though

Jul 3, 2013, 12:06 PM [ in reply to I'm thinking TE may be a problem ]

You can use a Fullback or H-Back for blocking situations and extra receivers in passing downs.

I agree we might be thin at TE, but it's an easy deficiency to mask.

TE has been a big part of our offense, though***

Jul 3, 2013, 12:10 PM

Re: TE has been a big part of our offense, though***

Jul 3, 2013, 12:54 PM

I think that's more because we've had the personnel to do so. Allen is obviously talented, and Ford was no slouch as a 5th year senior who had seen playing time the previous 2 years.

I don't foresee us emphasizing the TE this year unless Leggett or Seckinger REALLY step up. We'll have to get it done another way - even if that means splitting the TE out wide the Pats and Saints have been doing.

It wasn't at Tulsa for Morris

Jul 3, 2013, 6:12 PM [ in reply to TE has been a big part of our offense, though*** ]

He adapted his offense when he came here to fit the personnel. If we don't have the personnel to fit what we did last year he will adapt it again.

That said, I believe we are going to be fine at TE. Will it match the production of '11 and '12? Maybe not...but it bears remembering that those were two outstanding years for the TE position.

Re: TE has been a big part of our offense, though***

Jul 6, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to TE has been a big part of our offense, though*** ]

and it will continue to be

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

finally, somebody actually does some research on us

Jul 3, 2013, 11:32 AM

That's about as well informed a summary of our secondary as I've seen. I will say that, as long as we stay healthy at CB, our weakness in the secondary really isn't all that glaring.

A playmaker at safety and better production from the DL

Jul 3, 2013, 11:48 AM

can go a long ways towards covering up some other weaknesses in the secondary too. There's a lot riding on on the improvement of our DL this year, and i think we have some good young players that are ready to make it happen.

Re: finally, somebody actually does some research on us

Jul 3, 2013, 8:16 PM [ in reply to finally, somebody actually does some research on us ]

I agree that our secondary is not as weak as some think. Robinson covers well, but he is too aggressive when the ball appears in his area. With a new secondary coach, I hope Robinson will improve. Breeland is a good cover guy, Jenkins is pretty good, Peters plays well most of the time, and Blanks is a big upgrade at the safety position. I am really concerned about the other safety position. I just hope that Kearse can come in and play like Blanks did last year.

Jul 3, 2013, 12:09 PM

Our secret weapon. Coach Reed. Other coaches have been saying that he teaches, where as Coach Cheese just yelled.

Jul 3, 2013, 12:11 PM

You are the rightest of the right! That is my biggest concern..three secondary isn't these freshman should mesh well with the experienced players and will contribute more and more..BV is smart and knows how to use them! Get punt/ko coverage tight and we will be h*ll on wheels this year! Tell em Sammy!

Agreed with KO/PR coverages being the main question mark.

Jul 3, 2013, 12:41 PM

As others have posted: More experienced D-Line, secondary not depleted, due to injuries, new guys coming in are quiet capable to plug holes, BV and his system (year 2 for veterans) and Coach Reed as the X-Factor.

All in all the author is going with the obvious weakness everybody talked about last year, without sheading light on the possibilities of the above mentioned. So, to say the author dug deep is a stretch.

Kicking coverage alone brings us within striking distance of FSU last year.

Chad's play calling hurt us against USuCk.

Brent worked with what he had while teaching in year 1, with Chz/injuries...BV is the MAN and that's no secret.

Again, Kick/Punt coverage is the biggest question mark. I know we have the athletes, just don't know who is coaching that aspect and if we get thing turned around there, this year.

Re: Agreed with KO/PR coverages being the main question mark.

Jul 3, 2013, 12:45 PM

BINGO!! I'VE BEEN PREACHING THE SAME POINTS.

Re: it's an unknown commodity

Jul 3, 2013, 12:14 PM

The TE doesn't have to be a monster we have enough of those all he has to be is a threat. To keep a defender on which opens things up for the true outside monsters that we have tailback will surprise many IMO

Re: it's an unknown commodity

Jul 3, 2013, 12:47 PM

GOOD POINTS ALL AROUND.

Just put someone big, fast, and physical on Jay Rome.

Jul 3, 2013, 12:53 PM

And we'll be gravy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At years end ....

Jul 3, 2013, 2:17 PM

we will all be talking about what a great add Leggett was to the team. Believe me, if he stays healthy, he will play a major role with this team. I watched him closely this spring and really,really like what he does. Seckinger (sic) is also an improving player. Let's hope the big guy recovers quickly from his injury and return 100%. We can't afford an early injury to any running back but I believe Brooks will turn a few heads before mid season.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic