Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The back door is still open
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,254

The back door is still open

Nov 6, 2019, 11:23 PM

We are being assured that Clemson still has a >99% chance of getting into the CFP if we win our next 4 games.

This post is a silver lining for that<1% chance of going 13-0 and missing the CFP:

The NCAA still has 10 different "major selectors" who could name Clemson as national champion if we are denied the opportunity to defend our crown.

These rarely come into play because their recognized champion usually is the CFP champion, but in 2017 one of them did choose the 14-0 UCF Knights over the 13-1 Tide. The Colley Matrix used numerous stats to prove the statistical superiority of the Knights.

Now this is not a guaranteed back door to a championship; any mathematical superiority we achieve would have to be over an undefeated national CFP champion (we anticipate so, anyway). So it might be a long shot.

It also would be slow in coming. The Colley Matrix didn't finish its calculations for several months after the CFP winner was crowned.

Anyway, just wanted to put out there the back door is open if we aren't invited to defend the crown. No vulgar responses wanted, thank you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just got an alert on my phone.***

Nov 6, 2019, 11:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

???????Good grief, people...GET IT TOGETHER!

Nov 6, 2019, 11:49 PM

1.) We are not freaking UCF.
2.) The ACC is bad, but one down year does not make us the AAC.
3.) We don’t need no stinkin’ Colley Matrix or any other clown show selector to swoop in and save us. (I’m pretty sure Dabo would kick you in the butt for simply stating it.)

Mark my words, there is ZERO chance that the undefeated defending national champion from a P5 conference does not get in to defend their crown. Zero, Zilch, Nada, None.

Not only would Clemson fans be pissed, but the ACC would go off to protect their interest. And I’m pretty sure that coaches across the country would lose their minds as well (particularly in the BIG XII and PAC 12 which are the other 2 conferences where something like that could occur). Not to mention the media backlash. It will never happen in a million years. Win, and we’re in. Period.

Now put the phone down and step away from the ledge.

Re: ???????Good grief, people...GET IT TOGETHER!

Nov 7, 2019, 5:51 AM

We got placed at fifth Tuesday because they could. I believe it was done as a warning for us down the road. We are ok next year because we play at Notre Dame but our 2021 OOC schedule is problematic. We also need Fla State to improve in a hurry. This Tuesday we will be in the top four where we will remain if we win out. The committee cannot afford to have a defending national champion that is an undefeated conference champion left out of the playoff. Their winner would be considered illegitimate. We could use the narrative that they were scared of playing us. For the record, I am pulling for Bama to win big Saturday. We need LSU exposed as a fraud.

PS If a miracle were to occur and Ga Tech beats UGA and Fla State beats Fla, I will need medical help for uncontrollable laughter.

Nov 7, 2019, 6:12 AM

I agree with you about the schedule except that I would like to see LSU beat Bama badly with Tua playing well. Then beat UGA soundly in the SEC Championship game. Surely those two wins will squash the “two SEC teams” narrative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: ???????Good grief, people...GET IT TOGETHER! ]

your first assertion makes more sense than most of what I've read thus far. our AD is going to have to work harder to get strong ooc matchups as we cannot assume our own conference will be strong enough to justify a playoff bid every year we win the conference.

Nov 7, 2019, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: ???????Good grief, people...GET IT TOGETHER! ]

your first assertion makes more sense than most of what I've read thus far. our AD is going to have to work harder to get strong ooc matchups as we cannot assume our own conference will be strong enough to justify a playoff bid every year we win the conference.

Nov 7, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: ???????Good grief, people...GET IT TOGETHER! ]

I agree 99%- the 1% being I think Alabama is the fraud more so than LSU. Bama has played the same lack luster teams that Clemson has played- For some reason their win against A&M is better than our win. Now what would funny is Bama beating LSU and then loosing to Western Carolina the following week.

Re: The back door is still open

Nov 7, 2019, 6:23 AM

I'd rather not get in if we have to rely on this bull$#!+.
Besides, if we don't get in at 13-0, whose going to look bad: Certainly not Clemson.
And if that is the case the CFP Committee, IMO, becomes no more relevant than the jokers who vote the Heisman.

Re: SC = Heisman voters

Nov 7, 2019, 6:41 AM

Good point.
After Tuesday's vote, i already find this SC = Heisman voters.

The difference is that we have to take these jokers seriously. (If we make winning a natty a program goal, which Dabo says we don't).

The point being, they need us more than we need them. I'm sure every Clemson fan and player wants a chance to earn it on the field.

But if we truly cannot control our own "destiny", we will not be excluded from becoming champions.

Sounds more like Coli Matrix***

Nov 7, 2019, 7:23 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smells more like Coli Matrix***

Nov 7, 2019, 7:32 AM

Three points:

Nov 7, 2019, 7:49 AM

1. Clemson doesn't need Lassie
2. Clemson's played all comers...ACC teams need to step it up...so does Big 12 and SEC...it's not
like all the conferences have sent multiple representatives...it's a very short list.
3. Excluding an undefeated conference champ would be the laser to an immediate expansion to the
CFP.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

eColi Matrix is a silly metric if used exclusulivlely to...

Nov 7, 2019, 7:52 AM

....name a national champion. In a nightmare scenario as you mention I dought that Clemson would stoop to the level of UCF because what they did is simply silly and narcissistic behavior to be ridiculed.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 8:53 AM

That what's she said! LOL! couldn't resist with all this doomsday prognostications. Win out and we are in at #2, perfect spot. There is not one team out there that scares CLEMSON. CLEMSON on the other hand make everyone crap their pants!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

misleading title

Nov 7, 2019, 8:57 AM

signed, Francis Marion®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Nov 7, 2019, 9:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

That’s what she said.***

Nov 7, 2019, 9:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s what she said.***

Nov 7, 2019, 12:24 PM

Dang - you beat me!

Nov 7, 2019, 12:23 PM

That's what she said.

Nov 7, 2019, 1:01 PM

Watch out fer yer cornhole

Nov 7, 2019, 1:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Nov 7, 2019, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nov 7, 2019, 1:23 PM

I say if we somehow don't get in we challenge their winner to a national championship game. It would make zillions of dollars and we would win again.

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,254
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic