Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The WW2 GI Bill
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The WW2 GI Bill

Jul 12, 2019, 10:59 AM

The GI Bill was probably one of the greatest pieces of legislation passed by the United States Congress. The millions of service men and women who received training under this act were instrumental in being the catalyst for much of the technological achievements over the past 70 years.

When I returned to the University of Florida after WW2, the GI Bill paid for all of my college expenses except food. Single veterans received $60.00 per month for living expenses. On those days when my classes permitted, I worked two hours in the cafeteria and received three meals that day for my work.

During my last two years I was married and as a married veteran received a $90.00 per month living allowance. My wife was a beautiful WW2 Navy WAVE. After our marriage she transferred from Florida State to the Univ. of Florida. And, as a veteran, she received $60.00 per month for living expenses There was no available space in the Flavet Villages, the University's housing for married veterans, so we had to seek local affordable housing.

We were lucky. I had a cousin who had a house in Gainesville and a home on a nearby lake. He and his wife wanted to make their main home at the lake house but wanted someone in their Gainesville home as caretakers. Their one request was that one bedroom was to be reserved for the rare times they wished to spend the night in Gainesville. So, we had the use of the remainder of the fully furnished house for $35.00 per month and they paid all of the utilities.

We didn't have a car at that time but we could catch the bus to the campus two blocks from our house and the fare was one thin dime each way. I had saved a little money while in service and our living expenses were not very much so that $150.00 per month was enough to meet all of our needs with a little to spare.

One semester my wife had a lab that did not end until 5 PM. She was majoring in Botany, which was in the College of Agriculture. There were not many women at UF at that time and she was the only female in the lab. The Professor was like a father to my wife and on those days when she had the lab, he brought her home.

Most of our friends were married and the majority of the wives had jobs on the campus. Two or three couples had one or two children. Those of us who had no children were referred to as being a "single couple". We got together on a regular basis and had lots of fun. We had "pot luck" meals and because my wife and I had the biggest house, our house was the favorite gathering place. Remember, this was back in the "dark ages". No one had a TV or a cell phone. None of us were "money rich" but we were millionaires when it came to the important things in our lives.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The WW2 GI Bill

Jul 12, 2019, 11:15 AM

Well said Joe. Well said.

If everyone knew this, many less things we have would be taken for granted.
The important things in life often aren't things.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 11:15 AM

I love history and always enjoy your stories, Joe. Have you thought about writing a book?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 12, 2019, 11:26 AM

Great story, Joe... And - thanks to veterans like you ... we are like millionaires and lottery winners being able to live in the good ole USA !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 12, 2019, 11:49 AM

My Dad came home from overseas after WWII and went to Med School in Charleston on the GI Bill.

He left Clemson after only one semester in 1942 to enlist.

Serving his country afforded him a tremendous opportunity he would never have had otherwise.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 1:05 PM

Thanks Joe for sharing. Love your stories.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not the same for African American GI’s

Jul 12, 2019, 1:20 PM

Black GI’s were, because of Jim Crowe laws when they returned unable to buy the same real estate and get the same opportunities to build wealth. They were forbidden to move into the suburbs like many other GI’s and some were put into government housing- now the projects in many cities. The same thing happened to African Americans after the new deal. It was a no deal for poor black folk. My grandaddy was a WW2 vet. I love my country and yes this is my country. It is a blessing to live here!! I stand during the national
Anthem... ok? I am a Clemson alum. Was in tiger band. Played the trumpet for the WW2 statue dedication ceremony near Tillman hall, when I was a student there 89-93. I was proud to do it. But, makes me sad for people like my Grandaddy when I hear these stories. I thank him for his sacrifices and love for his country despite the way he was denied full rights as someone who risked his life as well for our freedoms and for he GI bill to work for some but not all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not the same for African American GI’s

Jul 12, 2019, 2:29 PM

Regrettably, segregation was still in place after WW2 and Black veterans after the war were subjected to restrictions of the past. Black veterans could attend the traditional black colleges on the GI Bill. I had a black friend from my home town who went to Florida A&M, received his BA and Masters in Education and later received his PhD. He was Principal of an all Black school at first and after integration became Principal of the integrated school.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 5:26 PM

Awesome!!!! Gives me some joy and hope to hear about this. Thank you for sharing

Jul 12, 2019, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Not the same for African American GI’s ]

You have every right to feel sad about the unfairness your Grandfather endured. I'm sure wherever he is, he is very proud of you. Do your best to make sure you are proud of you're grandchildren, that you will have no sadness for their opportunities.

Jul 12, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Not the same for African American GI’s ]

Thumbs up to you - HBROWN.... And thanks to your granddaddy for his service!! So proud of all Clemson alums !!

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 12, 2019, 1:50 PM

As always, great story, Joe! Please check your Tmail.

Jul 12, 2019, 8:29 PM

Tigeranne---- Your TMail has not come thru yet. I've notice that as of late some I have sent were not received for maybe a day or two later. Hope you are doing OK.

One of my grandfathers finished Clemson on the GI bill.

Jul 12, 2019, 1:56 PM

He was a bomber pilot in WW2

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously, Joe, write a book...or let someone do it for you

Jul 12, 2019, 2:05 PM

from your notes. Your stories are great and a fantastic snapshot into the time and places you've traveled. A picture might be worth a thousand words, but it can't tell you context, or what the people were thinking, or what was going on behind the scenes. When I was in High School all our lit classes put together a book that was a collection of local stories. As students, our assigned task was to "talk to your grandparents or elder community members and let them tell you their memories." Then we took the very best of all those stories, maybe 100 or so, each no more than a page or two long, and bound them up. Those books are an invaluable snapshot into every aspect of the past. Like what going to the doctor was like, or fishing at a local pond, or your first date, or repairing your car, or a typical work day on the farm, or anything about daily life you just never think about and there is no way of preserving without text. My grandma told me about her first date. They sat on the couch in the living room, one of 4 small rooms in the house, across from her watchful parents who sat directly across from them, about 5 feet away. Everyone was dressed up for the occasion in their Sunday's best. She said she liked the boy and he had a pretty good chance till he committed the unforgivable act of trying to put his arm around her on the couch. That was just too much and got him kicked out of the house by her dad. He worked his way back into good graces, but had to court her dad as much as he courted her. Tough times for a Romeo back then!

Jul 12, 2019, 2:10 PM

Thanks Joe. Love your outlook on life. Keep 'em coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 8:32 PM

Thank you for that story, and a heartfelt salute to an old Soldier. I agree that the GI bill was one of the greatest pieces of legislation ever. It was the engine that drove American innovation and the American, and Global, economy.

Your story, albeit a couple decades earlier, mirrors what I was told of my parents. A couple without much money, living frugally but proud, and loving unconditionally. In our case... a young college football coach, and his wife, an RN. That was in the early/mid '60s.

However my dad tells respectful stories of all the WWII and Korean vets (on the GI bill) that he interacted with while he was in college as a scholarship football player.

My post 9-11 GI bill is paying for the majority of one of my children's college expenses. I, and my family, are grateful. Yes it is a very generous benefit to be able to transfer to ones children, but I believe that is also a powerful engine for economic growth. I take it as my responsibility to push my children to be the best that they can be. The one that is going to school on GI bill $$, is majoring in Finance.. so I feel that he is doing as best as he can with the benefit that he is receiving. He will graduate and be an asset to the US economy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic