Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Two-Year Watson Window
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

The Two-Year Watson Window

Apr 4, 2015, 2:28 PM

I saw Buck Belue speak at the Savannah QB Club this past December. Belue surprised me by making a few unprompted positive comments about Clemson and D-Wat for the primarily Dawg boosters. He said he had seen some D-Wat high school games in person and D-Wat was special both in his ability and temperament, and Clemson had an opportunity to make some waves with Watson behind center.

If D-Wat plays extraordinarily like we believe he will, Deshaun Watson will likely have a two-year window at Clemson before registering for the NFL draft. So what will this mean? If Watson can stay healthy, these are some of the outcomes I expect:

- A healthy Mike Williams will become a star. Williams will catch many on-the-mark deep balls.

- A healthy Artavis will also become a star. With a DB and S watching Mike Williams, Artavis will have the entire field to maneuver and wreak havoc.

- Leggett will have All-ACC potential ... what Leggett does with it is anyone's guess. If Leggett is not consistently all-in and does not bring it with his blocking, then look for Milan Richard or another TE to put Leggett back on the bench.

- Wayne Gallman will become a star ... and if he can catch and become a 3-down back, an even bigger star.

- The O-Line is the most interesting and critical position. Crowder could be a 3-year starter. The balance of our senior linemen will begin some rotations with Hyatt, Fruhmorgen and the other frosh by mid-season. This is critical as these O-linemen must be ready on Game 1 of the 2016-17 season as this will likely be Watson's last hurrah.

- Watson's notoriety will mushroom from a whisper to an explosion with a big win on the road against
Louisville then a big home win against ND. The week after ND will be a trap game at home against a strong GT squad.

- The Defense will benefit from the Offense keeping them off the field.

- Clemson's orange paw will dramatically grow in popularity from Jacksonville, FL to Charlotte, NC and beyond. People love a winner. Jersey and hat sales will grow ten-times.

- Admittance to Clemson will become increasingly difficult. People love a winner.

- Dabo will continue to grow along with the Clemson brand. His passion will be known nationally and his approach will continue to mature as he grows from gung-ho to a budding statesman for the game. Our O-coordinators and Venables will also become hot commodities.

- Clemson will be featured in some big-time (Natl Playoff?) bowl games.

Much to look forward to and many unknowns ahead in the 2015-16 pigskin season. And there will be some pressure on Dabo and D-Wat and our players and coordinators. This is a positive. Dabo will downplay expectations with an "aw-shucks, we need to work harder, we have a long way to go" approach which is what he needs to do. To paraphrase Mr. Lightbulb Bill, what say you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Two-Year Watson Window

Apr 4, 2015, 2:42 PM

It will be interesting to see how we respond in the spotlight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to beat FSU***

Apr 4, 2015, 2:49 PM

at home, I expect Tigers to rip FSU as long as Watson is

Apr 4, 2015, 5:28 PM

healthy!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2015, 2:53 PM

Mitch Hyatt is legitmately pushing Battle for the starting spot. Would be amazing to unseat a senior. Battle may move to the rt spot

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Apr 4, 2015, 8:28 PM

So... I've seen enough of your posts to know you are privy to info that I am not. That being said, can you give some more info on the Battle/Hyatt "battle". Haha! Reading your post made me so happy I literally had to stop eating to reply. Is this something you've seen in practice or heard from coaches? I understand if you can't name sources but any more info is appreciated.

oh, the possibilities!

Apr 4, 2015, 2:59 PM

go tigres!!

Apr 4, 2015, 3:03 PM

from the title I thought this was a home improvement post

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preach it!***

Apr 4, 2015, 3:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 4, 2015, 3:11 PM

Tennessee had a 3 year window with Peyton Manning. They won the National Championship the year after he left. I hope for a successful decade or more program built around a 2 year window.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

i'd say you're dead on, provided...

Apr 4, 2015, 3:19 PM

(everybody at once): deshaun stays healthy..big things are possible this year and the following years..it's gonna be a good run.

Message was edited by: jackorange®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

So you say we have a chance ...... LOL***

Apr 4, 2015, 4:04 PM

Something tells me he is the kind of young man that wants to

Apr 4, 2015, 5:18 PM

get his education! I think he stays 3.

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Something tells me he is the kind of young man that wants to

Apr 4, 2015, 6:29 PM

If his stock is as high as we expect it to be, the smart move is to leave. You can always continue your education later in life.

Apr 4, 2015, 6:44 PM

this is true. you can do a lot of learning with that 10-14million signing bonus if you'er a top 10 pick

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Apr 4, 2015, 6:50 PM

Yea, not to mention the fact that he's built to he a successful QB in the NFL. He's a pass-first QB with an uncanny ability to run, a magnificent head on his shoulders and a great temperment for a leader. That often translates into the 9-figure worth.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic