Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The QB situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,872

The QB situation

Mar 2, 2018, 9:38 AM

This is pretty long, but its a quick, easy read. Gonna get straight to the point. My opinion is that Johnson or Lawrence (or both) need to be the QB's this year. To reach our goals (national championship), we need to play our best players. Normally I probably wouldn't bring up the depth chart and instead just let the competition sort itself out (which it hopefully will). But I'm concerned because it seems that sometimes we don't play the best players in my opinion (as recently as last year, for example, when I think Johnson should've played more). To allow the competition to sort itself out can be a fair process for everyone. But I can't hardly think of how Johnson and Lawrence don't move to the top of the depth chart given their far superior arm talent. I could give several examples of innacuracy issues we had at QB last year as well as a lack of pocket awareness. As fast as KB can run, it's not as useful when his pocket awareness and decision making arent good. And as great as our WR group is, its not as useful when we cant consistently throw accurate passes to complete easy passes or to consistently stretch the field vertically. I hope the staff plays the best players.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The QB situation

Mar 2, 2018, 9:47 AM

The gap is narrower this year. Last year, it wasn't...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is firmly against playing the best players.

Mar 2, 2018, 9:57 AM

He'd much rather keep his best players on the bench, to increase his chances of losing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

34-10

Mar 2, 2018, 10:16 AM

Fear the thumb
Fear the other hand
Fear both feet

Re: 34-10

Mar 2, 2018, 11:21 AM

Fear the ######

Mar 2, 2018, 10:25 AM

The fact that Dabo played Deshaun early in a big game on the road and made him the starter a couple games into the season tells me that Hunter Johnson just simply wasn’t ready.

I think this discussion will come to an end by the end of fall camp when Lawerence has cemented himself as the starter.

Mar 2, 2018, 11:08 AM

Get right with the Lord, I agree with your first statement jhOP.

The second one I think has a good chance to come to fruition, but I'll let it play out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2018, 10:44 AM

Please stop. KB will lead us back to the playoffs and hopefully a Championship.

Mar 2, 2018, 11:00 AM

You're beyond delusional if you think a Kelly Bryant led offense has a chance in a rematch against Nick Saban. If he shut us down the first time there's no doubt he will the second.

That logic just doesn't hold for me

Mar 2, 2018, 11:07 AM

As much as I hate rehashing the loss from last year, and I give all the credit to Alabama for beating us, we were driving the ball mid third quarter with the momentum and a chance to take a lead. If not for Bryant being hit while throwing and them getting one of those flukish interceptions, who knows what happens (and again, credit to them for getting it and taking advantage of it).

But to simply suggest we have no chance against them with Bryant is strange to me.

It also totally discounts he concept that Bryant might be better in his second year starting then he was in the first. Players can improve with experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That logic just doesn't hold for me

Mar 2, 2018, 12:25 PM

Bryant had opportunities to step up in the pocket and make throws down field. Our offensive line got whooped the first two games against Bama, the difference was we had a QB that could do that.

Mar 2, 2018, 10:57 AM

When the current quarterbacks on scholarship are gone, Clemson could add quarterback U to our reputation as WRU. Many positions on the field (including the quarterback position) have younger players that step ahead of older players because they have more talent. Keeping these ideas (competition) in proper working order will make us a better team.

Mar 2, 2018, 11:18 AM

KB was the perfect QB for us last year, we don't make it to the playoff without him. Hunter Johnson couldn't have started against Auburn or VA Tech early in the season, nor Cooper. This year is a little different though, Johnson now has a year under his belt, plus a once in a generation player in Lawrence.If KB is going to make it in the NFL it's at RB or WR, and it'd be better for him if they went ahead and began the transition. The staff could get real creative with the offense, you'd have two QB's on the field at the same time.Imagine a backfield with Johnson/ Lawrence at QB, Feaster/ Etienne at RB, and Bryant/ Renfrow in motion, Defense's wouldn't know who to cover.

The coaching staff knows what they're doing, and if KB does improve and holds on the starting job, then that's not a bad thing either, he'd beat some good competition . Should make for an interesting spring, Future is very Bright!!

Dabo will play whoever puts us in the best postion

Mar 2, 2018, 12:47 PM

to win. He's smart like that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,872
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic