Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A possible worst case scenario for us...If we go 13-0, but..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

A possible worst case scenario for us...If we go 13-0, but..

Oct 7, 2018, 2:15 AM

Bama continues to blow everyone out, but loses a close CCG to undefeated UGA. Do you really think Bama gets left out at 12-1? IF Bama & UGA are ranked 1 & 2 before their game, no way would Bama drop out of the top four in this scenario.

OhSt finishes 13-0, fairly likely since the rest of the B10 isn't as strong as advertised.

Notre Dame finishes 12-0, continues to blow out all their ACC opponents. Looking more and more likely all the time.

I don't think all of the above will happen, but...

Just in case it does, we need to have more games like WF, and no more like Cuse and TAM. And the other teams on our schedule need to win some of their other games, instead of choking like Syracuse did, and Miami nearly did, yesterday! Miami especially needs to keep winning, so we can beat a top 10 team in the ACC CG.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s a long season and it will all workout if Clemson goes

Oct 7, 2018, 2:45 AM

13-0. This isn’t the BCS, they aren’t going to leave a 13-0 Conference Champion at home and take two teams from the same conference. The College Football Playoffs is owned and run by the 5 Power5 conferences, no way they leave 3 conferences home.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you are right! I also hope some on the committee feel

Oct 7, 2018, 2:50 AM

like I do, about Notre Dame. Screw 'em...they think they are too good to be in a conference, to #### with them!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s a long season and it will all workout if Clemson goes

Oct 7, 2018, 6:07 AM [ in reply to It’s a long season and it will all workout if Clemson goes ]

They took two from the same conference last year!

They didn’t leave an undefeated conference champ at home.***

Oct 7, 2018, 6:13 AM

They didn’t leave a 1 loss conference champ at home

Oct 7, 2018, 8:49 AM

either

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They didn’t leave a 1 loss conference champ at home

Oct 7, 2018, 9:00 AM

I agree they would be hard pressed to leave an undefeated Clemson out the playoffs "IF" we are an impressive undefeated conference champion.
If we are scrapping by everyone in these heart attack nail biters - we get left out to a 1 loss more top 5(by end of year) 1 loss team from SEC possibly.
ESPN and all it's analyst always quote how defense wins championships - but they fall in absolute love with the high flying fancy thousand points scoring teams don't they? Oregon comes to mind - and that "O" the Oregon players love to flash is how many National titles all that brought them.
Powerful offenses matched with good defense - can't be BIG 12 from a few years ago and only play offense. We have the explosiveness of offense and the recent history you would think would be easily enough to put us in undefeated. Bama vs. Clemson 1st playoff NC game would have been a Tigers win had Mike Williams been healthy( I know, I know). Point is we played them close as Hades then beat'em the following year!
We need to keep winning impressively like a by gone era of college football when the NC was voted on! We have to sway the committee; and impressive wins not just wins is the way to do it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of words that are just plain wrong.

Oct 7, 2018, 9:10 AM

No way an undefeated conference champ gets left out over a one loss non-champ. That would #### off big12, acc, pac12, and the big10. They wouldn’t stand for it and it would destroy the whole agreement. Not 100% but the conf Championship is partially viewed as a play-in game. Obviously last year is an exception but it was choosing between one loss teams not a one loss team and an undefeated team

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will see a 2 loss team in the playoff long before

Oct 7, 2018, 5:43 PM

an undefeated power 5 team gets left out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oregon has been 1 time when they were a 1 loss champion***

Oct 7, 2018, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: They didn’t leave a 1 loss conference champ at home ]

Re: It’s a long season and it will all workout if Clemson goes

Oct 7, 2018, 8:43 AM [ in reply to It’s a long season and it will all workout if Clemson goes ]

Owned and operated by the 10 conferences and Notre Dame.

Even if either Bama or UGA loses one game in the reg season

Oct 7, 2018, 2:57 AM

You have to pull hard for the undefeated team to win the SECCG.

The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare...

Oct 7, 2018, 6:49 AM

seed two team which do not have conference championships. They would be left with the dilemma of whether to exclude Bama or ND. You can finish the math on this one.

Imo, the probability that four teams are undefeated is astronomical. The odds must be above the 1 in 44,000 mathematical limit which says that anything beyond those odds doesn't happen. Sure, if you factor in hundreds of billion of years it might happen once, like evolution, but it isn't going to happen in the first 100 billion years of the playoff.

The big problem with going undefeated is the team ego. The players begin to read the 'Rat poison,' and believe the media hype. It's way too easy for the coaches to get distracted and plan to work on deficiencies for later opponents too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare...

Oct 7, 2018, 6:54 AM

Evolution didn't happen. Mathematically impossible.

Oct 7, 2018, 8:47 AM

Did you watch the SCar vs Mizzou football game and the after scuffle. That was proof all you need to support evolution did not happen... at least in places named Columbia.

Evolution happens every day. It isn't an event.***

Oct 7, 2018, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare... ]

Bury your head deeper in the sand.

Oct 7, 2018, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare... ]

Its proven fact. All of your religious or political or whatever beliefs can't change it.

Sorry, sometimes its a good idea to think about things with a logical perspective and not always rely on someone else to determine how you think about things.

All the best

Oct 7, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare... ]

I hope Clemson stays away from the rat poison

If the odds of something happening are 1 in 44,000

Oct 7, 2018, 8:53 AM [ in reply to The Playoff Committee wouldn't dare... ]

then it won't take billions of years for it to happen. The odds even that it will take 44,000 years to happen.

Re: A possible worst case scenario for us...If we go 13-0, but..

Oct 7, 2018, 6:53 AM

When's the last time there were 4 undefeated teams?

'nuff said. Let the season play out.

All we need to do is go 13-0. No other words need

Oct 7, 2018, 7:14 AM

to be typed.

0% chance a 13-0 Clemson ACC Champion is not in Top 4.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree Scott. However, after 54 seasons since my

Oct 7, 2018, 8:34 AM

freshman year and recollecting thoughts of coaches and analysts over those years, my instincts tell me we need more style points in those wins.

Why? I smell a Notre Dame lovefest emerging that I don't like. And for now, I won't say anything more.

Yes. They would not put a 12-1 bama in over 13-0 acc champions.

Oct 7, 2018, 8:40 AM

Hope that helps. Very unlikely there are four undefeated teams. 7 games left to go. You see how many dwindle each week. Only takes one more to lose. You know one of Georgia and Alabama will lose. So we need to win out. I’d argue at the end of the season with one loss at the right time we are still likely but then we are at the mercy of others. Win out and 100% we are in. I’d also think that 13-0 Acc champs get in over 12-0 notre dame but that’s my opinion. It is special and hard to go 13-0.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: Yes. They would not put a 12-1 bama in over 13-0 acc champions.

Oct 7, 2018, 9:14 AM

I'll also add this... watching the game on TV yesterday they showed two of the commentators top 6. One had us #5 and one had us #6. Both had LSU and Oklahoma in their top 6. They both got knocked down a peg yesterday. This will continue to happen. By December, there will be way less hypotheticals to ponder.

Exactly***

Oct 7, 2018, 9:17 AM

Oct 7, 2018, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Yes. They would not put a 12-1 bama in over 13-0 acc champions. ]

In an ideal world the committee would penalize Bama or the Dawgs for a loss to each other. The question is, do we live in an ideal world?

Oct 7, 2018, 5:41 PM

We’ve already seen the committee is not much better than the bcs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 8, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Yes. They would not put a 12-1 bama in over 13-0 acc champions. ]

Four undefeated teams is very likely if you consider how likely it is that #5 ND and #9 UCF remain undefeated.

You are correct

Oct 7, 2018, 8:45 AM

the earth is flat. No amount of logic can change that fact.

Starting a “worse case scenario” with “we go 13-0” indicates a lack of imagination.***

Oct 7, 2018, 9:07 AM

null

^^^Gets it!!***

Oct 7, 2018, 9:18 AM

I guess you didn't read the complete post, or even the next

Oct 7, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Starting a “worse case scenario” with “we go 13-0” indicates a lack of imagination.*** ]

word..."but"

Oct 7, 2018, 4:18 PM

Domeheads are the ones that should be worried about this scenario not us.

Play in a conference, play in a championship game, win 13 not 12 games.

Enjoy your NBC TV money watching the CFP!

Oct 7, 2018, 5:45 PM

The worst case scenario is Bama with one loss in the SEC title game. No way they leave them out.

I think would be worse if an undefeated Bama narrowly lost

Oct 7, 2018, 8:44 PM

to an undefeated UGA. Then the committee would try to put both of them in!

Re: I think would be worse if an undefeated Bama narrowly lost

Oct 8, 2018, 7:51 AM

No way Bama loses to Georgia. Just my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA may lose this weekend.

Oct 8, 2018, 12:07 PM

nm

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic