Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NFL playoff system actually enhances the regular season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

The NFL playoff system actually enhances the regular season

Dec 13, 2018, 9:31 AM

because you have more teams playing meaningful games. You have division battles, you have wild card battles, you have teams battling for home field advantage throughout the playoffs....

In college football by seasons end you only have 7-8 teams out of 130 that are still playing for something more than a meaningless bowl game.

Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NFL playoff system actually enhances the regular season

Dec 13, 2018, 9:34 AM

By the end of the NFL season there are typically less than 7-8 team battling for anything.

There are usually 5-6 playoffs spots locked in. There are typically 4-5 teams vying for the other 2-3 spots.

Dec 13, 2018, 9:50 AM

Not true. Even the teams that have already clinched a spot or division are playing for home field.

Only 6 teams total are eliminated which means pretty much every game this week matters.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Dec 13, 2018, 10:36 AM

If you are talking about this week in the NFL then you are talking about week 10 in college football. There are more than 7-8 teams with a chance at that point in the season. The reason people think that nobody has a chance in college football is because they don't expect the top teams to lose because we know they are the best.

In the NFL is the top teams win a couple more games then everything is decided. The difference is that about half of the NFL is good enough to deserve a shot at the Super Bowl. If that were the case in college football then there would be more call for expansion.

The argument against expansion would be 16-0 New England

Dec 13, 2018, 9:40 AM

Patriots losing the Super Bowl to a "bad" Giant's team who just got hot.

We all know that New England was the better team. But they lost the 1 game they couldn't afford to lose.

The Giants win the Super Bowl even though they really did not deserve it. That would basically be like LSU winning the Natty this year.

That is why the NFL owners don't VOTE for the

Dec 13, 2018, 9:57 AM

Super bowl champion. There is no playoff committee VOTING for who gets to be Super bowl champ and who doesn't.

There are also no NFL fans crying about how their team didn't get into the playoffs when some other team did.

The new England Patriots could have been super bowl champions if they beat the giants ON THE FIELD instead of in a hotel meeting room.

opinions on who deserves what and who doesn't , who is the best and who isn't should not matter.

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The argument against expansion would be 16-0 New England

Dec 13, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to The argument against expansion would be 16-0 New England ]

It’s called the Super Bowl, not the Super Season.

There might technically be more meaningful games

Dec 13, 2018, 9:59 AM

but no single game is as meaningful as a college football game. You can lose anywhere from 6-8 games and still make the playoffs in the NFL. If you lose 2 in college you're done, and sometimes it only takes 1. I know that means a lot of teams are quickly eliminated and the rest of their games don't matter in terms of the playoff race, but every game for teams still in contention are just more tense and more important than almost any single game in the NFL.

Could you imagine if the Patriots had just essentially gotten eliminated from the playoffs on that crazy 70 yard double lateral play at Miami last weekend? That could happen in college, but not in the NFL. The Patriots could go out and lose again next weekend and still be fine. And teams that are already locked into their seeds often rest their starters the last week or two on the season in the NFL - something college teams vying for the playoff obviously can not do.

Dec 13, 2018, 10:01 AM

apples to oranges. IMO, the bowl season meant more when there were only 12-15 bowls. You had to earn it and not just win six games. It is still watered down but college's playoffs make it more interesting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These bowl games mean a lot to the schools and

Dec 13, 2018, 10:05 AM

Players.

Which I'm okay with. If I'm bored, I'll just watch reruns of Samford and son.

Buffalo st playing Milwaukee tech in the fart muffler rice rocket bowl doesn't hurt me at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: These bowl games mean a lot to the schools and

Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 AM

interesting name for a bowl. Nothing wrong with watching Redd Foxx.

If the bowl games mean so much, then why is skipping the bowl for the NFL draft becoming so popular? I know money is the attractive motivator, but aren't they letting their teammates, fans and the schools down?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those are player decisions, not team

Dec 13, 2018, 11:39 AM

Decisions..

For every player that skips, there are hundreds that don't.

Only 2 bowls really matter. The outcome of the rose bowl is no more important than the outcome of the Bermuda shorts bowl.

Fans may not care, but the players and coaches do. Even if the outcome doesnt matter , the extra practices, care packages, and vacations do.

I don't understand why people are so upset with meaningless bowls. No1 has to watch them.

the NBA plays for 6 months to determine which handful of

Dec 13, 2018, 10:07 AM

teams WON'T make the playoffs... LOL, it's the most meaningless regular season in sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I've been saying this for years....

Dec 13, 2018, 10:12 AM

Every single sporting league from little league ping pong to the NFL/MLB/NBA has a system where you play your way in. You have a goal (win your division/conference) and you KNOW if you achieve that goal then you can play for the title. You aren't "chosen" by some random dudes in a room.

Why is this 1 specific level of college football the only exception?

$$$$$***

Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 AM

Re: I've been saying this for years....

Dec 13, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to I've been saying this for years.... ]

Because there are over 100 teams unlike pro sports with roughly 30 teams. The NFL has 4 team divisions where each team plays each other twice with a home game for each team, and the schedules are fairly balanced between the division teams.

In college basketball and baseball you can let in over 60 teams and have them play several games within a few days at a single location which is something that can’t be done with the physical play of football.

I’m honestly blown away at how people keep wanting to make it an apples to apples comparison.

Division 2 football figured it out

Dec 13, 2018, 3:15 PM

Division 3 football figured it out.
All 50 states have high school playoffs - they've figured it out.

Realign the conferences if you think the schedules are so unbalanced that it's unfair.

You're "blown away" by this comparison, huh? Wow, doesn't take much to blow your mind.

Wrong. The NFL sucks because they allow their teams to LOSE more.***

Dec 13, 2018, 10:58 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrong. The NFL sucks because they allow their teams to LOSE more.***

Dec 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

They make teams actually win on the field in a legitimate playoff system, instead of being argued in by a committee.

The highest ranked team we played is #19 Texas A&M yet we get a month to prepare for two games to win it all. You let us have a couple losses against a tough schedule one year and get left out and we'll see how the tune changes on here....

Also, I would argue that college football is a bit different

Dec 13, 2018, 11:31 AM

because of the parity in the NFL. All of those guys are pros, and on any given day almost any team can beat another. Not true in college football. There's like, what... 60 teams in Power 5 conferences? And there's only a handful that can legitimately win the nat'l title. After about the Top 5 or so, there's a pretty big dropoff.

In college football, you know which teams have the size and depth on both lines and the skill players to be elite. And you know it before the season even starts. Here's the coach's pre-season poll from August 2:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma

Look familiar? LOL. Yep, everybody knew months ago who the best teams in college football were...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Also, I would argue that college football is a bit different

Dec 13, 2018, 12:17 PM

And you're never going to increase parity in CFB when the same handful of teams are dominating the playoffs and thus dominating the recruiting rankings.

Dec 13, 2018, 12:28 PM

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Playoff teams only wons dominating recruiting?

A&M isn’t in the playoffs, Texas isn’t in the playoffs, Ohio State isn’t in the playoffs, LSU, Oregon?

Win your games or shut up.

Dec 13, 2018, 12:36 PM

Is that what I said? That ONLY the playoff teams recruit well. No it's not.

But the same teams you see playing in the playoffs every year are the same ones you see near the top of the recruiting rankings year after year. The gap between a handful of programs and the rest will only increase.

You want to increase parity in CFB? Give more teams a chance at the national championship.

Dec 13, 2018, 12:42 PM

You are just one huge walking participation trophy.

Dec 13, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Also, I would argue that college football is a bit different ]

So you are saying the rise of Clemson and Alabama’s domination over their conferences are a direct result of the CFP format and not due to Dabo and Saban?

Dec 13, 2018, 12:53 PM

Winning make its easier to win in the future absolutely.

Dec 13, 2018, 5:27 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 12:44 PM

JHop, u r right on target. In addition to the end of season scenarios discussed in this thread, a NFL format would make early games more meaningful also. I thought it was horrible that “experts” told UW and the whole pac 12 that they were out of the CFP when they lost to Auburn by 5 points on 9/1/18. That’s BS, every team should have everything to play for after losing to anyone by 5 on 9/1. Eff the experts. Let ‘em decide it on the field. Eat what you kill.

Dec 13, 2018, 1:08 PM

Maybe I’d feel a bit worse for Washington if they didn’t go on to lose 2 more games in addition to losing that game against an Auburn team that finished 7-5?

I don’t feel bad for the PAC 12 because they schedule nobody OOC and usually lose the few tough games they actually do schedule.

Actually, you have the best teams playing meaningless games

Dec 13, 2018, 12:52 PM

toward the end of the season.

No thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, you have the best teams playing meaningless games

Dec 13, 2018, 1:05 PM

Need either NCAA hoops tourney format or NFL format, but the current format does not create meaningful games from beginning to end.

Dec 13, 2018, 1:08 PM

Yea that LSU/Georgia game sure was meaningless

Dec 13, 2018, 2:26 PM

The iron bowl last year turned out to be.

Dec 13, 2018, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Actually, you have the best teams playing meaningless games ]

UGA / LSU was big game. So what’s your point?

The NFL is a quarter the size of D1 CFB***

Dec 13, 2018, 2:21 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you can reduce the number of eligible teams to 32

Dec 13, 2018, 3:24 PM

Then we can do it that way!

The problem is the regular season schedule is predetermined by the league.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 4:52 PM

yawn... new day same #### from the attention-starved OP.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic