Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More ACC expansion not planned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,767

More ACC expansion not planned

Jul 2, 2013, 6:38 AM

If anyone wants to read

Updated: July 1, 2013, 7:41 PM ET
Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9442762/acc-commisioner-says-no-further-expanion-planned

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for now***

Jul 2, 2013, 7:10 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ND relationship has us in a standoff

Jul 2, 2013, 7:22 AM

I can't see us going above 16 teams and I can't see us having uneven divisions by adding just one, and I can't see us taking two new full members to have 17 non-football members. Finally, I can't see us putting ourselves in a position to not take ND if they decide that they would like to join a conference. So, we're stuck until they make a move in or away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: The ND relationship has us in a standoff

Jul 2, 2013, 9:35 AM

Yep, but our consolation is we have a multi-year contract with ND for five football games a year and have a league agreement with the rest of their sports.

They might decide to go to another conference (likely the B1G) but we'll make a bundle on the buyout.

JS seems to have done the best he could with what he had to work with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'm not saying it was a bad deal for the ACC, but one

Jul 2, 2013, 9:50 AM

of the consequences is a stalemate in any further expansion.

null

Re: The ND relationship has us in a standoff

Jul 2, 2013, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: The ND relationship has us in a standoff ]

ND just resigned with NBC till 2025. They will not be joining anywhere in football till at least then.

We are going to sit at 15 football members for the

Jul 2, 2013, 8:11 AM

foreseeable future desperately hoping that ND will decide to become a full member.

How is this 15 team thing going to work once L'ville joins

Jul 2, 2013, 8:13 AM

anyway?

Two 7-Team Divisions for Footbal. 15 Basketball Members***

Jul 2, 2013, 8:41 AM

Oh nm i was being retarded this morning and forgot

Jul 2, 2013, 8:13 AM [ in reply to We are going to sit at 15 football members for the ]

that the trash up in CP were leaving.

It's the best we could have hoped for.

Jul 2, 2013, 9:16 AM [ in reply to We are going to sit at 15 football members for the ]

ND is going to hold out until the bitter end. I don't know when it will happen but last summer some proposed that NCAA football would progress into a four super conference system with 16 members and four pods to each conference with the pod champs matchup becoming the first round of a 16 team playoff system. It's quite a stretch of the imagination.

However, were that to happen ND would be forced to join a conference. We might have the inside track if ND for any reason decides joining a conference is to their benifit.

Who knows? I don't, but I don't think any conference would have turned down the deal we got with the domers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are going to sit at 15 football members for the

Jul 2, 2013, 9:42 AM [ in reply to We are going to sit at 15 football members for the ]

which they wont. ND will never give up football independence. It just wont happen they believe this is something they must have though I'm not sure why.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More ACC expansion not planned

Jul 2, 2013, 8:58 AM

"ACC football has been generally perceived as the weakest of the five major football conferences. The league hasn't won a national title in football since Florida State in 1999 and its record in BCS games is 3-13."

this hurts. we need to focus on quality over quantity. Pitt and Syracuse do nothing for football except expand tv markets. Louisville may make some noise if Swofford doesn't clip their wings by requiring their athletes to be able to read. ND gives creditibility but if they win it all, they'll do it as an independent. Clemson and FSU have the whole conference on their shoulders.

If the league ever does consider further expansion...

Jul 2, 2013, 9:03 AM

such expansion would likely be aimed at further strengthening its basketball presence in spite of universal acknowledgment that football is responsible for generating the lions share of revenue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'd say this statement is accurate...

Jul 2, 2013, 9:08 AM

But while conference realignment has mostly been driven by football and the enormous amount of revenue that comes with it, the ACC has been careful to continue to cultivate the sport that it is most famous for: men's basketball.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9442762/acc-commisioner-says-no-further-expanion-planned

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Didn't a famous football coach say...

Jul 2, 2013, 9:22 AM

"Dance with the one that brung you?"

It kinda hurt to see us gravitate even close to being a basketball conference cause we suck at basketball. Sorry guys, no disrespect to Clemson but the best we've ever been at basketball is respectful and not that very often.

We've always been a football school. The steady diet of our crotches on the football field is why the tarholes and dookies hate us so much. It's well earned venom we get during a second tier sporting season like basketball.

Who does everyone think we should go after 5 years down

Jul 2, 2013, 9:08 AM

the road when ND finally joins the conference in football (I think they'll be forced to because the new playoff system doesn't give them the benefit that the BCS did)?

Keeping in mind that the Big East will pretty much be picked bare at that point. I don't see us being able to take anyone from the Big 12, Big 10, or obviously SEC. I guess we'll go to the new AAC?

Cincinnati and UConn are obvious choices. There's also UCF, USF, Memphis, SMU, Houston, and Temple.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot can change in 5 years. Maybe someone like WVa will

Jul 2, 2013, 9:11 AM

be looking to make a move...and perhaps someone will figure out how to get around those GOR agreements.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

UConn for demographics***

Jul 2, 2013, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Who does everyone think we should go after 5 years down ]

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Penn State in the next few years.***

Jul 2, 2013, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Who does everyone think we should go after 5 years down ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...Penn State should be the top target.

Jul 2, 2013, 10:41 AM

which will be a real challenge unless and until the ACC can equal or surpass the revenue generated by the BIG.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I would guess Navy would be a top choice.

Jul 2, 2013, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Who does everyone think we should go after 5 years down ]

Obviously a top-notch academic institution that would both entice ND and fill the geographic void in the DC area.

I personally would love WV. Great location, passionate football fans, pretty good basketball, owns the state, instant bitter rivals with Pitt and VT. Also ends any Big 12 discussion on the east coast (in my opinion).

Penn State would be a dream but with the Big 10 bolstering its Northeastern presence, I'd assume Penn State will be happier there. It's a shame because a resurrection of the Pitt/Penn State rivalry would help the state and Pitt.

UConn would make sense geographically and of course would make the basketball that much more ridiculously good.

I don't like Cincy. I don't like going out there for teams and I don't get the sense that Lville cares that much about them as a rival. If I'm wrong, then maybe they would be a good addition for Lville.

USF and UCF...please, no. We already have two Florida schools and we have 2 of the 3 with tradition.

Temple is an interesting thought but I just don't see them putting the football together.

Memphis is too small-time in football in my opinion.

SMU and Houston are too far away.

null

ND won't be joining***

Jul 2, 2013, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Who does everyone think we should go after 5 years down ]

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,767
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic