Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The “MUST WIN” games for the 2012 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

The “MUST WIN” games for the 2012 season

Aug 20, 2012, 9:24 AM

Put in order from the MOST IMPORTANT to the LEAST IMPORTANT the four (4) regular season games that are considered “must wins” for the most successful 2012 season. I know that all 14 games (ACC Championship and Bowl Game included) are important and every game counts as either a win or a loss, but there are certain games that just carry more positive (win) or negative (loss) momentum, exposure and national credence over the other eight regular season games. There are a lot of possible scenarios and some place more importance or emphasis based upon purely only emotion. Give it a shot, but limit your list to only four games. Add a short commentary and explanation of your picks if you so desire.
My picks in order are:
1. South Carolina
2. Florida State
3. Auburn
4. Virginia Tech
To me USCjr is a logical first choice for a plethora of reasons and I feel the vast majority of TIGER fans feel the same. FSU is in our division and pollsters have them “waxing our 6” this year again and it places us in the driver’s seat for the ACCCG. I picked Auburn over VT because they are an SEC team, first game (establish momentum and identity) and on the road in a national TV game. Even though GT has been a nemesis over the years and we owe N.C. State big time for last season wooping, these are games we should handle at home.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's mine

Aug 20, 2012, 9:26 AM

ALL of them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there you go---we gotta get that attitude back!***

Aug 20, 2012, 9:33 AM

Re: here's mine

Aug 20, 2012, 9:35 AM [ in reply to here's mine ]

In Terms of winning the ACC Atlantic:
1. FSU
2. NC State
3. GT
4. VT

In terms of national and state wide respect:
1. USCjr
2. FSU
3. Auburn
4. VT

As far as I'm concerned:
1. SHamecocks
2. All Barn
3 GT
4. FSU, VT tie

Aug 20, 2012, 9:53 AM

Good thoughtful reply. It is hard to pick only four and consider all of the criteria for your picks. Thanks for the response.

Aug 20, 2012, 9:50 AM [ in reply to here's mine ]

Read the post. I know all of them are important as I stated, but I want to see some analytical thought processes in organizing a top four MUST WINS. I appretiate the comment, but try again under the format that I outlined.

I agree...All of them ;)

Aug 20, 2012, 11:05 AM

Beating your "must wins" and then losing the "should wins" makes for a rough season.

Re: The “MUST WIN” games for the 2012 season

Aug 20, 2012, 9:36 AM

My must win game is the orange bowl. Win that one and the rest took care of itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2012, 9:40 AM

If we win that then we didn't make the championship game though

Aug 20, 2012, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: The “MUST WIN” games for the 2012 season ]

Except we could lose to Ball State, Furman, Auburn and USCjr AND still go to Orange Bowl. That scenario would really give the ACC critics a bunch of fuel in recruiting and national prestige.

Aug 20, 2012, 9:44 AM

1. South Carolina
2. Florida State
3. Virginia Tech
4. Georgia Tech

5. Tie: all the other conference games
10. Auburn

Don't get me wrong, I think beating Auburn is extremely important and very much a "want to win" game, but in terms of importance to the season, I think it pales in comparison to winning the State and the ACC Atlantic.

Swap 3 and 4..Need conference wins,a loss to Auburn can be

Aug 20, 2012, 9:54 AM

made up by end of season.

Aug 20, 2012, 9:54 AM

Yeah we need to get back to the days of smack em in the mouth D... I can see Venables helping with that... And I think our O will hold itself the first 2 games w/o Sammy...
NUK, Brown, Peake, Bryant, etc. Can step up in Sammy's place
(BTW IMO Sammy Needs a Nickname) But I Agree With the above posters we need to win them all.

My order
1. C00ts (SCU, USCjr Whatever you like)
2. FSU
3. VPI
4. Georgia Institute of Technology
5. Chopblock U (Auburn)

All of them...

Aug 20, 2012, 9:59 AM

Uh, often times, I think this is a silly question, especially in the current system in college football.

Re: All of them...

Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 AM

As I stated a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but certain games just carry more weight in the eyes of the TIGER FOLLOWING, the nation, and recruits. Of course a loss to Ball Sate or Furman would be more devastaing than any other loss except to USCjr.

Aug 20, 2012, 10:14 AM

1. SCAR
2. FSU
3. AUB
4. GT
While I want to beat VT as much as GT, it would set my mind at ease to know that Venables can contain the triple option.

Add GT to that list.***

Aug 20, 2012, 10:14 AM

Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 AM

Agree with #1. I've actually gotten to the point this year where, if you gave me the choice between winning the ACC or beating SC, I'd take the later.

#2 FSU - Could almost call this 1A. I see very little chance of winning our division without winning this game. I don't think we win all three games against GT, VT, and NCSU so losing this game means FSU has to lose 3 conference games and I don't see that happening.

#3 NCSU - They are going to be factor on our side of the division. It will be important to hold the tiebreak.

#4 GT - Need to prove we can stop that offense, its starting to get in our fans heads, much like losing three straight to SC.

Auburn, while meaningful to fans really fulfills no team goals unless you think we are going to run the table on the season. Va Tech is a similar situation. It's a win against a quality conference foe, but if we beat FSU winning this one isn't all that important.

WE MUST WIN ALL

Aug 20, 2012, 10:50 AM

who are you Tommy Bowden? in order to have a great season you need to win ALL. not just a select few

Re: WE MUST WIN ALL

Aug 20, 2012, 11:11 AM

I can only remember one season in which we won them all and by God it was great. I do not remember be overly distressed because we lost a game or two in the course of a season. If I got that bent out of shape because of a loss, I might as well hang it.

The main thing you not want to accept is LOSING. I can accept (with great difficulty) getting BEAT. Get prepared for frustration because we will get beat this year by someone. In years past we have LOST too many games and now we have to get back to minimizing LOSSES. In D1 you normally have only one team, if that, who has a perfect season.

TB literally BLEW 2 or 3 games every year. never failed.***

Aug 20, 2012, 11:12 AM

Re: TB literally BLEW 2 or 3 games every year. never failed.***

Aug 20, 2012, 11:32 AM

I am not concerned about Tommy Bowden. All I cate about is Clemson and their success. Read my post again and you will see that I did NOT say anything about only winning four(4) games. I said which are the four MOST IMPORTANT wins in order for 2012. I know it requires some upper level thinking skills, but try it in the way I layed out my post.

Ball State, Furman, Duke, Wake Forest

Aug 20, 2012, 10:52 AM

Losses to Ball State or Furman would destroy the credibility of the team. Therefore they are the MUST WIN games.

A loss to Fluke or Weak Forest, would be "typical" Clemson. Therefore they are the MUST WIN games.

The answer you want to hear is any of Auburn, VT, FSU, SC and/or GT.

There is no listing, picking, or ordering of the games.

Aug 20, 2012, 11:12 AM

WE HAVE TO WIN THEM ALL! WE HAVE TO SHOW THE NATION CLEMSON IS BACK!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of them!***

Aug 20, 2012, 11:24 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic