Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Law of Unintended Consequences. I posted earlier about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,931

The Law of Unintended Consequences. I posted earlier about

Oct 29, 2020, 6:01 PM

this being a "Free Eligibility" year for college football (and some other sports). As always, this decision will have consequences the NCAA never intended. Since coaches (as of now) have to stick with the 85 scholarship limits, what it means is that somewhere in America right now, there sit kids who WOULD have gotten a scholarship offer next year, or the year after, who now will NOT get one, because the numbers won't work. A truly unintended consequence, but it will happen.

And, if the NCAA does an about face, and allows coaches to inflate the total numbers, there will certainly be Jim Harbaughs out there who will figure out a shady way to turn THAT to their advantage as well.

All, things which I am sure the NCAA, with their usual total lack of thoroughness never even considered before making this a "free" year. What should now happen is that the NCAA reverse their stance, and only grant extra eligibility to those athletes whose sports actually STAYED cancelled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Law of Unintended Consequences. I posted earlier about

Oct 29, 2020, 6:19 PM

76er® said:

this being a "Free Eligibility" year for college football (and some other sports). As always, this decision will have consequences the NCAA never intended. Since coaches (as of now) have to stick with the 85 scholarship limits, what it means is that somewhere in America right now, there sit kids who WOULD have gotten a scholarship offer next year, or the year after, who now will NOT get one, because the numbers won't work. A truly unintended consequence, but it will happen.

And, if the NCAA does an about face, and allows coaches to inflate the total numbers, there will certainly be Jim Harbaughs out there who will figure out a shady way to turn THAT to their advantage as well.

All, things which I am sure the NCAA, with their usual total lack of thoroughness never even considered before making this a "free" year. What should now happen is that the NCAA reverse their stance, and only grant extra eligibility to those athletes whose sports actually STAYED cancelled.

Great Post!

It will be interesting to see how coaches and athletic departments manage through this.

Not something I think Coach Swinney would do. But, 76er, can you see some of these schools pulling a Spurrier, Meyer, Saban and "pulling a scholarship"?
Say some 4 star kid at Bama has not lived up to expectations and is a RS JR but some talented Freshman with a ton more upside wants to come. Do they revoke that scholarship?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that situation happens in the SEC, it is almost a granted

Oct 29, 2020, 6:32 PM

that the scholly would be pulled from the underachiever.

There have been players here who would have lost their scholly if it was based totally off performance on the field, as well. But, at least as far as I can tell, Clemson doesn't operate that way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Clemson doesn't

Oct 29, 2020, 6:37 PM

In the S E asy! You will get this course of action for certain.

If the scholarship limits have increased perhaps it isn't so bad; but you could still wear out your scholarships! Especially if you have a kid who isn't getting better! Who maybe isn't learning the playbook, etc.

I think Dabo would just go - "bad evaluation" but honor his commitment to that kid and that kids parents!

Oct 29, 2020, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: The Law of Unintended Consequences. I posted earlier about ]

He does that anyway. Scholarships are 1 year renewable contracts. Not 4 to 5.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 7:38 PM

He does that anyway. Scholarships are 1 year renewable contracts. Not 4 to 5.

Understood! I think the thought process is - "it becomes more NFL than amateur"! You get the best collection of talent and you kind of get a do-over if you mis-evaluated a player. Level playing field for everyone but "is it moral"? Not is it legal? Or is it a common practice? Is it shady? Something that should not be done; because the player agreed to invest their time and skill set to X-school. Now, because the grass looks greener - you get out of a deal!

But, that's the way the ball bounces! Which I can get with to a degree - if the kid isn't doing their part. By that I mean, they aren't making workouts. They aren't showing signs that they are committed to being their personal best!

Again, I just worry for the kid who "has given their personal best" but it isn't as good as a kid they can bring in. So, that kid who has done everything asked of them gets shorted!

Concern not something that I would necessarily lose sleep over! It all depends.

Oct 29, 2020, 6:26 PM

NCAA increased football scholarships to 100 for next year at least.

Oct 29, 2020, 6:29 PM

pawguy1 said:

NCAA increased football scholarships to 100 for next year at least.

With likely less people in the stand$ which means less people parking $ and le$$ people getting conce$$ion$ - how will athletic departments pay for those extra scholarships you wonder?

Their tuition is already paid for***

Oct 29, 2020, 8:08 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if this is true...

Oct 29, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The Law of Unintended Consequences. I posted earlier about ]

the smart thing would be to phase the scholarships down in increments of 3 each year over the next 5 years to get it back to 85.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2020, 7:13 PM

many schools already pull scholarships in not so many words. After spring evals they sit them down and tell them, "We don't see a lot of playing time for you. You may want to transfer."

Dabo sits them down and tells them what they need to work on.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,931
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic