Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Louisville - Academics. Do we care?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 651

Louisville - Academics. Do we care?

Nov 28, 2012, 5:09 PM

Public Schools:
They are rated #87 behind USuC at #55. Clemson is #25.

Law School:
Well, at least they are rated higher that USuC, but USuC has been out of the top 100 for a few years. USuC is #109. Louisville is #89.

I thought the ACC valued academics. I think we just added a school at the bottom of our academic ladder, below USuC. I'm not excited at all about being in the same conference as Louisville. I'm much more excited about Notre Dame being a partial member with the prospect of becoming a full member of the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Louisville - Academics. Do we care?

Nov 28, 2012, 5:14 PM

USNews is easily manipulated and not actually based on current faculty, research funding, postgraduate opportunities, etc. ARWU, QS, and TARU are better sources for actual academic rankings, as they look at individual programs, faculty, undergraduate and graduate success, incoming merit scholars, etc. I'm not sure where L'Ville ranks on those, but to use just USNews would be like applying to a college on the basis of "your guidance counselor heard they have good campus food."

TARU is here: http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf
You can google ARWU and QS, they are easy to find.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Law School rankings are fairly accurate and widely used

Nov 28, 2012, 5:19 PM

As are the rest of US News and World Report's rankings. I would think a school ranked #87, like Louisville is, would not be a top 50 in any rankings and might actually be out of the top 100.

Feel free to find other rating services and please publish rankings.

Re: The Law School rankings are fairly accurate and widely used

Nov 28, 2012, 5:21 PM

Law School is one thing, but they are often funded separately from the rest of the university. USNews has been mocked time and time again for their inconsistencies in the rankings system and the ability for schools to artificially bolster their standing.

Nov 28, 2012, 5:24 PM

2012 ARWU: http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2012.html
2012 QS: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012
THE: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-12/world-ranking

OK Using your rankings (first one)

Nov 28, 2012, 5:28 PM

Louisville is in the top 500 world universities. Is that supposed to impress me? NOT

Nov 28, 2012, 6:07 PM [ in reply to The Law School rankings are fairly accurate and widely used ]

The magazine's ranking system doesn't have much credibility when it can be manipulated by such things as increasing the percentage of alumni contributors
by handing out $2 dollar bills at graduation to be given back to the school at the other end of the podium, along with the president's ability to give lower scores to other schools.

Just a hunch, but I don't think academic rankings will be one of the factors when the new tv contracts are negotiated. Also, the ACC already has several "academically notable" institutions that very few folks living more than 25 miles from their stadiums give a rats a** about watching play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Believe it or not, 87 amongst law schools isn't bad.

Nov 28, 2012, 6:40 PM [ in reply to The Law School rankings are fairly accurate and widely used ]

That would generally mean that they don't have any real national pull, but that graduates would probably have a fairly easy time getting employed in law in Ohio, Kentucky, and surroundings.

This was a sports move. I'm sure lip service

Nov 28, 2012, 5:17 PM

was given to them on improving their academics.

The story couldn't have been written better by a Hollywood screen writer. With positions 15 & 16 spoken for as part of ND's agreement,the ACC had no way of adding another financially solvent FB program to the mix. A broke a$$ pi$$ poor UMD program bolts and the ACC adds U of L and makes the FB schools in the conference happy.

disagree..

I think this move ultimately backfires and collapses the ACC. It was made out of desperation, and no matter how good it looks now (even for football schools), those deals NEVER work out.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

According to you Clemson is already in the Big 12 ?

Nov 28, 2012, 5:20 PM

What happened york ?

U of L was "supposed" to be BIG 12 bound also.

Nov 28, 2012, 5:26 PM

They were part of the groups(along with WV,GT,FSU, Miami) that would make up this mythological Eastern Division of the BIG 12.

my $0.02: It's an athletic conference, right?

not an academic conference...

lettuce be the pretty girl w/ the fat friends....

Sadly, I don't like their athletic program either.

Nov 28, 2012, 5:25 PM

I'm not sure what Clemson or the ACC get out of this deal.

What's in it for us? It better be a much larger TV contract. I could almost swallow that. Please be true.

Re: Sadly, I don't like their athletic program either.

Nov 28, 2012, 5:29 PM

"I'm not sure what Clemson or the ACC get out of this deal."

I tell you what they get, 1,000,000 TV sets in Kentucky.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Plus UofL replacing UMD on the schedule.

Nov 28, 2012, 5:36 PM

Win win all the way around. What I find funny though, U Of L have been in all the same BIG 12 rumors that CU and FSU have been in, they could have went and didn't . Think they know who's leaving or staying before signing ?

I think the BigXii is on thin ice....

Nov 28, 2012, 5:38 PM

They will be raided by the Pac 12 in a year or two.....

No how many CU Alum put on resume I grad from a school in

Nov 28, 2012, 5:57 PM

same conf as UNC or Duke

"0"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never seen a

Nov 28, 2012, 6:07 PM

"Football Powerhouse" fan base so utterly obsessed with academics. Schools in the ACC are "smart", who cares? Does it equate to wins? Nah. It's like when SCar talks about there back to back Baseball Nat'l Championships. This is FOOTBALL. Who cares what school ranks the highest in Nerd Magazine? Especially when Clowney and Co. Keep waxing that @ss.

Replies: 18
| visibility 651
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic