Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Heisman: It's Not "ALL THAT"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,727

The Heisman: It's Not "ALL THAT"

Dec 11, 2018, 12:01 PM

"The most prestigious award in college football." Who wrote/says that? Well, the Heisman Trophy Trust. It's the top banner on their website.

There IS no more "Downtown Athletic Club" in NYC. That went bankrupt in 2002 after 9/11, but the financial woes of the DAC were there long before 9/11. For years, the private club struggled mightily to simply hang on. The DAC is history now. A group of guys formed a tax exempt "501 3c" to carry on with the Heisman about 15 years ago - the "Heisman Trophy Trust."

The DAC was looking for a way to promote itself back in 1935, & someone thought up the idea of a trophy for "outstanding performance." It wasn't called the Heisman in year 1, but since former coach John Heisman was it's director/manager & died the next year in '36, they began calling the trophy "The Heisman" in year 2. It was a promotional gimmick from the start.

Who gets the Heisman? It's a broad definition, intentionally, so it can be given to just about anybody - a player whose "Outstanding performance BEST EXHIBITS pursuit of excellence WITH INTEGRITY. Winners must have great ability, diligence, perseverance and hard work." That's who wins it.

For one thing, "diligence, perseverance and hard work" are all synonyms for the same thing. Aside from that, a winner has to be a great performer who pursues excellence WITH INTEGRITY. Is that like the integrity of OJ, Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, Reggie Bush & others?

Is this tax exempt "Heisman Trophy Trust" a major charity that donates 100s of millions to great causes? Not even close. It's a very TINY group in the charity world. The entire gross worth of the H.T.T. is a mere $25-million. It averages grants & support of around $600K per year. In its 15-year existence, it's donated only around $10-million to charitable causes - & some are a bit questionable. Some years, it donates nothing & "defers" donations to future years. But a big year for the H.T.T. is like $1.8-million out of about $7-million taken in. That's about 25% & for places to donate to, that's not a big bang for your charitable donations.

How about a donation to the George Rogers Foundation for $12,500 for "the Heisman Dinner?" That's right off the most recent tax return. Or $15,000 to the Gino Torreta Foundation for "the Heisman Dinner." And then - $8,250 to the Trustees of the Univ. of Penn. Also, $7,500 to the Washington High QB Club in Pensacola, FL? What?

How about donations TO the H.T.T.? $11,000 FROM the Univ. of Alabama....$6,000 FROM the Univ. of So.Cal.....$6,000 FROM Notre Dame. It's right there on the tax return. I'm NOT making this up.

Expenses? About $700,000 for the Heisman Dinner + $65,000 for the Heisman Gala. The chairman makes about $150,000; the manager/director about $125,000. There are 8 other "trustees" on the board listed at $0 - but remember, their compensation doesn't have to be reported unless it's $50,000 or more.

Of all "charitable" organizations around, the Heisman Trophy Trust is one of the smallest & least generous.

But of course, the "Heisman" is given for great performance & pursuit of excellence WITH INTEGRITY.

Almost forgot the 1956 winner, Paul Hornung, whose N.Dame team went 2 & 8. Yep - 2 wins.

The Heisman: It ain't "ALL THAT."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Heisman: It's Not "ALL THAT"

Dec 11, 2018, 12:17 PM

I don’t see the integrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 12:20 PM

I have heard it called "the most prestigious" before this season, but this is the first year that I have heard ESPN trying to blast that on commercials and such leading up to the announcement.

I think they know that the award is losing respect and are trying to convince people that it is still going strong.

For the most part, the people who are promoting it now are those who want viewers for the show and those schools who want to claim they have the "best" player in all of college football.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:25 PM

Great Read and very informing. I could almost forgive the financial part of it if the actual award meant something. The number of voters being mostly in the media is a disgrace. If the votes were given to the current coaches and former winners and some other group that is more closely tied to college football it would mean so much more. Heck, even taking the committee approach like we have for playoffs. Let that same group discuss the Heisman while they are already gathered. At least then it would be more thoughtful and meaningful. But too much is driven by the media and the flashy plays like Lamar Jackson jumping over an inferior opponent in week 2. That is all you saw the rest of the year on any promos involving UL or not. He was an electric player, but should he have won the award on an 8-4 team losing the last 3 out of 4 games of the regular season?

I lost all respect for the Heisman...

Dec 11, 2018, 12:30 PM

when the voters stole it from Watson.

Even before this years presentation, the talking heads were encouraging the voters not to submit their votes too early as was the case in years past.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I lost all respect for the Heisman...

Dec 11, 2018, 2:15 PM

They had already awarded it to Lamar Jackson on the 6th week of the season. Many votes were cast by then. I think the voters had a little voters remorse after that. One of the reasons this year they had a record number of votes cast after the final week. A lot of those voters saw what UGA did to Tua and decided that Kyler deserved it more. Most SECheat and ESecPN fans say that it was a because of Bama burnout. I say that if you look at performance against UGA was the deciding factor. At one point Tua was 3 for 11 and like 35 yards and that was midway through the 3rd quarter. Then UGA decided they could back off a little to rest their tired Defense and Tua drove Bama downfield to bring the score back 28-21. Had UGA has any depth on defense and pressure the Tua and Hurts the entire game UGA is playing in the playoffs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks for shining the light on what most of us had figured, put could not put a finger on ... "something is just not right with this award any longer".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Heisman is a QB trophy now

Dec 11, 2018, 1:33 PM

No running backs have won it or a defensive player recently. When they robbed DW4 of the trophy it will NEVER be the same with me. ESPN promotion at the very best, as well as the Awards ceremony at the HOF of college football. ESPN like to promote their interest for sure.

Re: The Heisman is a QB trophy now

Dec 11, 2018, 2:18 PM

Remember Derrick Henry won it in 2015 another year when Deshaun should have won it then as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Heisman is a QB trophy now

Dec 11, 2018, 8:36 PM

It really is. An occasional running back.

From what I read (you can double-check me on it), I think the award has only gone to 2 receivers & 2 linemen - the rest - QBs & running backs.

What kills me is Bama, USC & N.Dame making tax-exempt donations to the Heisman T. Trust. Not as many trophies have gone to Bama players, but USC & N.Dame are in the group tied for the most with 7 (although Reggie Bush did have to finally forfeit his). That's just not a good look. Not sure schools/teams should be allowed to "give" to the Heisman Trust.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,727
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic