Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Greatest Ending to a College football game of all time.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The Greatest Ending to a College football game of all time.

Oct 26, 2019, 9:23 AM

I am a Clemson Grad, Clemson fan, and love my Tigers. The pass from DW4 to Hunter Renfrow will certainly rank high up on the list of best college football finishes of all time. However, as an objective fan, there are two I have to rank higher, just from the sheer improbability of them happening. Neither was in a championship game.

#2: The Hail Mary: What a football game that was, with Bernie Kosar and Doug Flutie both leading scoring drives, back and forth all the way. But, Flutie got the last laugh with what is probably the single most iconic play in college football history. 48 yard Hail Marys do not happen every day.

#1: The Kick Six: Auburn vs Alabama is blood hate, no sugarcoating it. Saban berated the officials into putting ONE SECOND back on the clock, so that he could break Auburns heart with a 57 yard field goal on the last play of regulation, instead of sending the game to the overtime it deserved. But, Karma intervened, in the form of "Chris Davis gets a block! Davis has another block! Chris Davis!" Or as the Auburn radio announcer said, "Oh, my God! Auburn's gonna win the football game! Auburn's gonna win the football game! He ran the missed field goal back! He ran it back 109 yards! You're not gonna keep 'em off the field tonight!" That one will never be beaten for pure shock value.

Anyone have another candidate they think measures up?

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kick 6 may be #1 but that 2015 Flub Kick game...

Oct 26, 2019, 9:44 AM

... Is up there where Michigan's Aussie kicker gave up a TD to Mich State in last 10 seconds.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That one for sure was unlikely. I don't think I have ever

Oct 26, 2019, 9:47 AM

seen another game end like that. Just another example of Khaki Pants Futility. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kick 6 may be #1 but that 2015 Flub Kick game...

Oct 26, 2019, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Kick 6 may be #1 but that 2015 Flub Kick game... ]

<###### width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/RBlgN85wB6U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those two are good, especially the Saban 'karma' bites!

Oct 26, 2019, 9:48 AM

The ending to the Texas-USC was really good, but I have it for a different reason. I still remember just before Vince Young's run to win, the camera was on Pete Carroll. He had this big grin on his face like 'this is why I coach and we play'...even though he knew a loss was possible. That stuck with me.

For bloody certain...Saban wouldn't have been smiling. Clearly, I have zero respect for that Napoleonic runt!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can watch Pete Carroll still today jumping around

Oct 26, 2019, 9:53 AM

with enthusiasm on the sidelines at 60+ years old. He clearly loves coaching games, win or lose. (Having Russell Wilson at QB doesn't hurt, either.)

Kordell Stewart at Michigan

Oct 26, 2019, 9:52 AM

Boise - Oklahoma?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People forget what a shocker that Boise win over

Oct 26, 2019, 9:55 AM

Oklahoma was at the time, since Boise has continued to be good going forward.

For pure guts, you can't beat Tom Osborne"s decision

Oct 26, 2019, 9:59 AM

to go for two in the 1984 Orange Bowl vs Miami when
a tie would have won the National Championship. When
Miami batted down the pass and killed the last few seconds,
it started the 'Canes dynasty that lasted almost 20 years
and ended shortly before they joined the ACC. So Osborne
kick started Miami's dynasty.

But if you're talking about last play finishes, this wasn't
one of them, nor was DW4 to HR.

Re: For pure guts, you can't beat Tom Osborne"s decision

Oct 26, 2019, 10:02 AM

Yep. Osborne's Nebraska teams are who we are chasing for "three out of four". They had to share the third one in the polls. We won't at least not in the polls. And, since UCF has lost a game this year, we probably won't have to share at all. :)

Re: The Greatest Ending to a College football game of all time.

Oct 26, 2019, 10:03 AM

That Boise State ending over Oklahoma was impressive too.

Oct 26, 2019, 10:30 AM

The Renfrow catch was so good because it was for the Nat. Champ.

Oct 26, 2019, 10:35 AM

Flutie's Hail Mary:

<###### width="675" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/q3ykWbu2Gl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

Kick-Six:

<###### width="694" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/8GKmkD1pUG0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2019, 11:27 AM

It’s not a college football ending but Braves-Pirates in the 1992 NLCS will always be the most dramatic ending to me

Oct 26, 2019, 11:31 AM

I'm not saying it's better than what you listed but Georgia Tech blocking FSU field goal attempt with 6 seconds left in a tie game and returning it for a touch down and a win was really fun because it happened to FSI. Go Tiger's!

Oct 26, 2019, 11:32 AM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bV0YvPnmZsU

Sticking with DW4 to HR13 for the 2016 CFP Championship

Oct 26, 2019, 11:58 AM

Go Tigers!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic