Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Final Four used to mean something
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

The Final Four used to mean something

Mar 26, 2017, 8:26 PM

Until scrub schools like Butler, George Mason and Villanova started making it on a regular basis. And now you have Gonzaga and a 7 seed. If you wonder why people think basketball isn't a real sport, that's why. Major schools focus on football. The Big East was supposedly the best basketball conference ever, and half the schools left because they wanted to be in a better football conference. The facts are facts. Basketball is a second tier sport, and always will be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dumb post is dumb.

Mar 26, 2017, 8:32 PM

The 2016 me would have given ewe a thumbs down. But like Jules I'm trying to be a better man I'm 2017 so I won't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, I bet you'd give anything if Clemson was more like Butler***

Mar 26, 2017, 8:35 PM

Re: The Final Four used to mean something

Mar 26, 2017, 8:33 PM

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2017, 8:34 PM

Go tell that to any of the big men who played this weekend.I'm certain they would love to hear it straight from the horse's @$$.

How many Big East teams made the CFP last year?

Mar 26, 2017, 8:39 PM

Oh, zero, because football killed the Big East, the greatest college basketball conference there ever was.

Teams like Nova, Butler, VCU

Mar 26, 2017, 8:46 PM

Don't even have FBS football.

Mar 26, 2017, 8:39 PM

I don't understand this thinking at Clemson. Nobody on here has diminished football. I've got a plethora of national championship stuff. One t shirt shows both 1981 and 2016. It will
Always be the major sport. With the way the baseball team is playing,we have a real shot at winning the CWS. It's not football but that would be a big deal. The golf team is the best it's been in a while. My point is that other sports matter at Clemson. Why the lack of support for basketball? We have had real spurts of success in the past. The right coach with the new facilities could make us a great team. If basketball is so unimportant, why did we spend 65 million on Littlejohn and refurbish the basketball complex?

We spent 50 million on a clubhouse for football.***

Mar 26, 2017, 8:41 PM

Re: We spent 50 million on a clubhouse for football.***

Mar 26, 2017, 8:51 PM

No problem! If Dabo needs anything else to keep up with Alabama and others, he should get it. I'm just saying give basketball more financial support. It doesnt mean facilities. Go out and spend real money on a big time coach not a mid major one. Hire assistants that can recruit well. When OP and Barnes had great teams, Littlejohn was full . Fans will pay to watch a quality team. Why would anyone want to watch what we are putting on the floor now? Basketball can bring in big time revenue at Clemson.

Mar 26, 2017, 8:41 PM

BUT - we sure would like to hire a coach from Gonzaga, Nova, Butler, etc. THAT pretty much tells us what we need to know.

:)

It's great now and there have always been random teams.

Mar 26, 2017, 8:49 PM

Indiana State, Utah, UNLV,etc. Nova have been there even before last year. They have 5 Final Fours and have 2 National Titles. Look at the 1979 Final Four, Michigan State, Indiana State, Depaul, and Penn. Why don't you just admit you know nothing about basketball, don't like it, and move on? This may help you though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_men%27s_Division_I_basketball_tournament_Final_Four_participants

That's exactly my point

Mar 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

What does it say about college basketball that a school like Villanova, who can't even get into the C-USA, is a major power?

It's asinine to try to deminish the Final 4

Mar 26, 2017, 8:54 PM

simply because Scar is there. You are ignorant to diminish the Final 4 being a major accomplishment. Ridiculous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point

Mar 26, 2017, 9:20 PM

of the 56 we scored against SCar this year for a trip to the Final Four. Like it or not, you know that's probably true.

we should have scored another TD or two. Dabo is too nice.

Mar 26, 2017, 9:22 PM

Since the coots thought the timeout to bring in all the seniors was an insult, he should have let them run a play. It wouldn't have taken much to score again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point

Mar 26, 2017, 11:04 PM [ in reply to I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point ]

nevermind, i just read this stupid post....good grief

Re: I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point

Mar 27, 2017, 1:33 AM [ in reply to I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point ]

I'd trade 48 points from that win for a Final Four.

What?

Mar 29, 2017, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I bet the average Clemson fan wouldn't trade a single point ]

Get real. Go home, coot! We still beat your final 4 basketball team...Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Believe thats what makes it so great.

Mar 26, 2017, 9:19 PM

Watching the underdogs play the role of spoiler. Its exciting, with the exception of uscjr, don't want to see them win anything. So I'm assuming you like watching bama win all the time? Its great to get new faces in there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would people be excited if App State & Rice make the CFP next year?

Mar 26, 2017, 9:28 PM

That would probably be the end of the CFP.

Wow. Just a bit dramatic are we?

Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 PM

Don't believe butler, Villanova and the likes putting on a good show in the ncaa tourney is the equivalent of app st and rice making the playoff. Those basketball teams have been solid for years. Bulter made back to back national championship apprearances in 2010-11 I believe, and they put up a fight.

And yet, if Butler were ever to have a 10 win FBS season

Mar 26, 2017, 9:45 PM

With a bowl win over Ohio State, that would completely overshadow anything their basketball team has ever done.

Re: And yet, if Butler were ever to have a 10 win FBS season

Mar 27, 2017, 1:36 AM

Indeed, would be a phenomenal accomplishment for a team without a football team.

Whoever makes it would be great. That would be....

Mar 26, 2017, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Would people be excited if App State & Rice make the CFP next year? ]

one of the best stories in college football history though.

Re: Would people be excited if App State & Rice make the CFP next year?

Mar 26, 2017, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Would people be excited if App State & Rice make the CFP next year? ]

That could not happen and you know it. The college football playoff teams come from the the Power 5 conferences and Notre Dame. There is only 4 spots among 5 major conferences. The mid major schools are not in the mix. The NCAA tournament is entirely different. Along with the Power 5 schools, mid majors get automatic bids for conference championships . Many mid majors don't even have a football team. There are 68 team which get into the tournament. It's a true accomplishment for Clemson to make the college football playoffs two straight years winning the title this year. Basketball is a big time sport too. We play in a power basketball conference but recruit,hire coaches, and act like a low mid major school. If we were in the final four tonight, you would see a different level of fan support at Clemson.

Get lost troll***

Mar 26, 2017, 9:22 PM

Mar 26, 2017, 10:12 PM

First you all downplayed the Heisman because Watson didn't win it. Now you downplay the final 4 because scar made it? I bet you never felt like that until now.

Mar 26, 2017, 10:19 PM

Let's don't stoop to their level by dreaming up things to belittle what they've done. What they've done is legit, I'd be delighted to be in that position. I have my theories about how they got this far, including the level of allowed hacking, but they are doing something right, getting hot at just the right time like we've essentially never done in Bball. I think they'll lose the next one but if they win the next two they'll deserve it. Don't like them but I'll tip the hat, like they'd never do for us.

Mar 26, 2017, 11:02 PM

wow, dumbest post ive seen in a while....its sad we have fans like this, but oh well

Mar 26, 2017, 11:16 PM

Villanova has been a solid basketball school for a long time. I'm not sure why you'd call them "scrubs". Would you suggest college football no longer means something since a relatively small school named Clemson won it? Most people outside of the Southeast don't even know what state we're in.

Regardless, the tourney has always thrived off the idea of the "little guy" making a big run. You sound very bitter.

Mar 26, 2017, 11:26 PM

If we ever make it,it will be a big deal here.

Mar 26, 2017, 11:22 PM

Bwahaha!

Mar 26, 2017, 11:31 PM

get lost coot

This is really dumb. The reason you have so many "scrub schools" making it

Mar 27, 2017, 11:33 AM

deep in the tourney now is because of the 1 and done rule. The power schools are largely playing underclassmen against JRs and SRs. That levels the playing field alot.

Aside from that not much has changed. You get upsets because it's a single elimination tournament. If you play best of 3 or 5 or whatever Duke probably sends USC packing. But anyone can win 1 game. Eventually a 16 will knock off a 1.

Most of those "scrub schools" you mentioned also had great coaches. Mark Few and Greg Marshall are two of the best in CBB. Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches in any level of basketball.

Holy Butthurt, Batman!***

Mar 27, 2017, 12:31 PM

Nobody will argue that overall, football is the largest

Mar 29, 2017, 2:43 PM

revenue generator. But, Basketball is a runaway second.

From College Raptor, of the Top 100 revenue generating College sports programs for 2017, 28 of them were Basketball, the rest Football.

Louisville was top Basketball program (#25 overall) on the list, generated >$47,000,000.

Clemson Football was #29 on the list, generated >$43,000,000.

Other ACC Basketball schools that made the Top 100 were:

Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Florida State, NC State, and Syracuse.

Nobody will convince me that our Basketball revenue would not skyrocket with great teams, I saw it happen way back when I was there at even a HINT of greatness.

ps, you have to get all the way down to #225 to find a non Football / Basketball sport, Minnesota Ice Hockey. As a matter of fact, surprisingly, no sport other than these 3 made the top 300, with the lone exception of Baylor combined track at #272. No baseball made the list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you 100%

Mar 29, 2017, 4:24 PM

but there are too many homers on this bored that are going to give you a TD. I don't know 1 person IRL that actually cares about basketball and are religious about it other than a few tar holes because that's the only thing they have ever been good at.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic