Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Fearsome Foursome (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,972

The Fearsome Foursome (Long)

Jan 4, 2019, 9:44 PM

We did not get our name for some heroic deed, we were self anointed. How we came together was a bit strange, somewhat like throwing a hand full of pennies up in the air and the four closest together became a team. Perhaps it was our moral values, common interests and trying to maintain a positive attitude when things did not appear to be going well. Somehow with all of our differences we just seemed to merge as a foursome before we left Camp Crowder, MO, before going to Europe during WW2.

Melvin Balikov was from Skokie, IL, a Chicago suburb. Everyone needed a nickname so he was dubbed "Bali". Bali was of the Jewish faith and one of the funniest and most sincere persons I have ever known. A sly smile was his trademark and it was if it had frozen on his face, it was always there. He was one of the two youngest of the four, about 1.5 years younger than Pollock and I.

Bali died in 2003. I have made contact with his son who is and attorney in the Chicago area. Bali received his PhD in Engineering and was a college professor for many years. During his later years he believed students at a trade school needed more fundamental engineering skills if they were to be successful so he spent his last teaching years in this capacity. That was the Bali I knew.

Steve Kozak was from Wilmerding, PA, a Pittsburgh suburb. He was employed by Westinghouse before entering service. Steve was born in 1921 so he and I were the two old men of our group, Steve was of Polish descent so he was dubbed "Pollock" and this was in no way derogatory. He also had huge hands so he was also known as "Hands". Being 6'-4" and 245 pounds of muscle and of a gentle nature, he was sometimes referred to as the "Gentle Giant".

After the war "Pollock" returned to Wilmerding and Westinghouse and I believe he was a Superintendent of one of the departments. In 1986, I talked to his wife and she informed me Steve had cancer and died in 1979. Steve had no children. One of my favorite stories concerns Steve and I posted that story some time back.

Leavitt Pope was from Scarsdale, NY and was our team chief. He did not get a nick name until we were in Europe. He said the only tool needed for eating was a spoon. If the spoon could not cut a hard piece of food, it wasn't fit to eat. That spoon always hung from his ammo belt over his right pocket, it was a fixture. Spoon and Bali were about the same age. Spoon was a graduate of MIT with a double major in business and electrical engineering. In 1947 he was a co-founder of WPIX-TV in New York City, the first independent TV station in the city and was President and CEO for many years. He received many awards while serving in that capacity.

Spoon had eleven children and at the time of his death in 2007, had 24 grandchildren. I made contact with one of his daughters several years ago and shared many stories about her Dad and how he got his nickname. They were not aware of his nickname and said that cleared up a family mystery Following his death in 2007, the family discovered he had a collection of over 2,000 spoons She said that when they went to a restaurant, her Dad would put a soon in his pocket They never asked him why but it was an embarrassing moment for them.

The daughter and her husband had a son attending Yale and was a member of the baseball team When the Yale baseball team came to Clemson two years ago for a three game series, they came down. Their son, a senior, was the captain and third baseman for the Yale team. We had a fantastic visit. The son game me a new Yale baseball and a Yale T-shirt. I gave the family an old WW2 mess kit and spoon, just like her Dad had during the war.

On my 95th. birthday a couple of years ago, the family sent me a beautiful engraved silver spoon in memory of their Dad.

Those were three of the best men I have ever known. May they rest in peace.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Fearsome Foursome (Long)

Jan 5, 2019, 1:20 AM

A great story my friend .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2019, 1:36 AM

Nice post!! Sounds like they were wonderful men

Message was edited by: colemanfan

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2019, 7:59 AM

I wish I could tell stories like you do, Joe but, I just don’t have the gift of gab.
Love all of your stories. Keep them coming

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought this was gonna be about the D-Line***

Jan 5, 2019, 8:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2019, 8:51 AM

Beautifully told. Thank you!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2019, 2:34 PM

Great story, Joe!! I can imagine how you have kept many people entertained over the years ... -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Ok Joe, time to fess up!

Jan 6, 2019, 4:15 AM

We now know your 3 buddies nicknames, but there’s 1 left from The Fearsome Foursome....

....and another story to tell. ??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,972
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic