Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Facts re: Sammy's Pills
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,065

The Facts re: Sammy's Pills

May 5, 2012, 12:51 PM

I am a recently retired pharmacist. Sammy had one Adderall tablet and one Vyvance tablet on his person when arrested. This info was in the police report. Both these drugs are amphetamines that are used almost exclusively to treat ADD/HD (attention deficite disorder / hyperactivity disorder. They are used by college kids to stay awake to cram for final exams. I used similar drugs for that purpose when I was in school. At that time, before ADD/HD was even a recognized disease, they were used as appetite suppressors for weight loss ... and were not Controlled Substances as they are today.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Facts re: Sammy's Pills

May 5, 2012, 12:55 PM

Harmless pills, my girlfriend is prescribed adoral, and they're simply used to keep you focused and aware, it's no different than a RedBull really.

May 5, 2012, 2:59 PM

Really---then Dabo and Ath.Dept. @ Clemson should be issuing a few bottles of Red Bull each exam period, I think.
Then no problem for our students getting into controlled substances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2012, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, it's illegal to possess prescription meds without a prescription. Ask Rush Limbaugh. That's Sammy's "crime," not the nature of the drugs themselves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Both of those, as I understand it, are very popular these

May 5, 2012, 1:34 PM

days a recreational drugs as well as being used for their intended purpose. Maybe Sammy was using them to cram for exams, or he could have just been using them (as many do) to get high and keep the party going.

Though not a totally harmless, benign substance, I think pot should be legalized. Millions of people have smoked weed recreationally over the past 50 years with little or no ill effect. Granted, some have certainly been affected, especially with excessive use and or if they already have behavioral or emotional problems, but the same is much more true with alcohol, which is of course, legal at a certain age.

So, while smoking weed occasionally is probably part of the college experience for thousands, and is for the most part harmless and should not be a crime, it is still illegal, and until all the facts are known, possessing Adderall and Vyvanse shouldn't be blown off.

If Sammy is too much into getting high and hanging around with the drug dealers and the wrong crowd, then this is a real big deal. If he has only smoked pot on rare occasions and a friend gave him an Adderal to help him cram for exams, it's not nearly such a big deal.

Right now, we just don't know which it is, but he needs to understand very clearly what is a stake for him going forward.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The pills in itself aren't bad but....

May 5, 2012, 2:09 PM

Are when you don't have a prescription and they are banned by NCAA.

I took ritalin once before studying for a biology

May 5, 2012, 2:09 PM

final exam. I studied 8 hours straight like a machine. I had a 500 page text book and over 150 pages of lecture notes to know backwards and forwards for this cumulative exam.

I made a 99 on the final exam. I thought it was a mistake but it wasn't.

That being said, I never took the stuff again. It made my heart race even though I only took a half-dose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I took ritalin once before studying for a biology

May 5, 2012, 4:06 PM

Taking pills to study for exams was probably the only real illegal thing I can remember doing in college. Not sure how many I took since that was 40+ years ago, but it was several. I knew it was illegal, but I didn't want to fail the exams either. I can almost see the pills for studying even though it's wrong. Flunking out of college is a bigger issue IMO, so I'd probably do it again if I needed to do that.

That said - some of my closest friends were drug pushers, and I never, ever touched any drugs other than those pills. I was perfectly happy with beer/alcohol. Of course, I was too stupid to know that if they got caught and I was with them, then I could have been arrested too even though I wasn't doing anything illegal. Being young has some disadvantages sometimes. You can't learn all the rules fast enough.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,065
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic