Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Facts about the Defense of Spread/Air Raid Teams.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,376

The Facts about the Defense of Spread/Air Raid Teams.....

Sep 23, 2012, 8:14 AM

Many people ask why teams that run Spread/ Air Raid Offensive schemes can very rarely play defense. Let me tell you why.....

When a Team has an Offense that can generate 500+ yards and score 40+ points on a weekly basis, the Defensive Coordinators usually adopt a "Bend, Don't Break" philosophy. They are willing to give up the underneath plays all not long in hopes that the other team won't be able to score enough to catch up.

In all reality, they should do the exact opposite...Break, but don't Bend!!!

Put 7 in the Box all night....make the opposing QB beat you with 40 yard downfield passes. Sure it will happen some! But the problem with the "Bend Don't Break" scheme is this....

1. It keeps your defense on the field longer, tiring them out and making it easier and easier for the opposing offensive to be effective, chew clock and score points.

2. It keeps your own high-powered Offense on the Sideline, where they can't score, and it allows the other defense to rest and strategize.

We saw t first hand last night....

First half, both teams scored fast...we're up 7 at the break. Second half...FSU eats up with 10 yard underneaths or scrambles on 3rd and 4!

Giving up 4 50 yard TD's in a game by having 7 guys waiting on the run will never get a Chad Morris Offense beat! Put 7 in the box, make em one dimensional. If they throw for 340, it'll limit their time of possession and allow our Offense to do it's work!

This is why GT is 2-2 despite the fact that Tevin Washington Is averaging 20 yards per completion. Teams load the box and make him beat them deep. And it does happen....twice a game or so...but I'd rather give up four, 4 play 80 yard drives, than seven, 10 play 65 yard
drives!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting, and insightful.***

Sep 23, 2012, 8:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must read for the idiots on this board

Sep 23, 2012, 8:21 AM

who want to have a ball control offense so that we can play to other teams strengths rather than ours

Re: The Facts about the Defense of Spread/Air Raid Teams.....

Sep 23, 2012, 8:21 AM

Pretty neat spin on things. If you're gonna get into a shoot out - get into a shoot out.

Sep 23, 2012, 8:32 AM

i agree with what you said , only problem is putting 7 in the box doesn't help if the 7 can't tackle

Sep 23, 2012, 8:44 AM

You are correct on one point: the only way to make our defense better is to get rid of Morris and his offense. Period. You can change d coordinators every year but it will not help. We have made our bed and this is the way it's going to be. Live with it or change offenses.

Sep 23, 2012, 8:54 AM

Worst tackling I have seen! Even when in position we can't bring them down. No wrap-up. Granted they had some tough running backs, but we had 2-3 hang on for a ride several times! Can't get off blocks either.

Sep 23, 2012, 8:57 AM

Sometimes people on message boards think you can scheme your way out of anything. When in reality you need
1. Talent-decent except for the DL
2. Toughness- Not since Danny Ford left
3. depth- none
4. scheme-OK

If you have the first three, #4 will take care of itself.

I do agree the Venables D scheme is fine. But, we all here on Tgernet thought He would be to the Defense what Morris was to the Offense.

It a different animal.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,376
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic