Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Church Chruistmas Party For Children
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

The Church Chruistmas Party For Children

Dec 15, 2018, 1:25 PM

The story occurred back in the dark ages, probably before money was invented because very few in my old home town had any. But just a little bit of Christmas for us children was better than no Christmas at all. The children's Christmas party in the Methodist Church was always something to which we looked forward. in the late 1920's I think the depression had already arrived and my home town could claim credit as the birthplace of the depression. That is a brief account of those times so you can better understand that an apple or an orange was a huge gift for us kids.

My family was very fortunate because my Dad was the railroad agent and telegrapher, a highly respected and well-paying job at that time. He and several other men in the church who had jobs or a business, donated money for the purchase of oranges, apples, candy and a few other small items for the children. My older brother and I looked forward to those goodies and when we were handed our small bag of goodies thought we had hit the jackpot. But then came a low blow. My Dad motioned for my brother and I to come to him. Then he suggested (he actually told us) to give our goodies to Jim and Danny. Well, that didn't set well with us because what I had was mine. And then he told us he would talk to us when we got home.

Normally when he said he would talk to us at home I began to wonder what we had done wrong. Christmas was almost here and we had been on our best behavior in hopes that Santa was taking note. We arrived back at our home and we sat dawn to learn our fate. Being kids, we were not aware of a family's financial status. My Dad said to us that Jim's and Danny's Dads did not have full time jobs and there might not be much Christmas at their house. Those little bags of goodies would be a part of their Christmas and, we would have oranges, apples and candy at our house. I suppose I was still too young to realize what he was trying to tell me because I still resenting having to give up my goodies. I must have matured during the next year because when we had our Church Christmas party and the "Goodie Bags" were distributed, my brother and I asked our Dad who should we give our goodies to.

MERRY CVHRISTMAS !!!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Church Chruistmas Party For Children

Dec 15, 2018, 1:38 PM

Joe, you're a gem. These should really be compiled into a book. Seriously. Also I remember my mom's stories (she is about your age) of similar stuff around the holidays where fruit was a big deal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for sharing this. God bless you

Dec 15, 2018, 2:05 PM
1bChristmas.jpg(70.6 K)

Merry Christmas Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometime about 30 years later...

Dec 15, 2018, 3:46 PM

I reached the epiphany that I was one of the poor children. Times were much better and I was glad to get a bag of nuts to crack, oranges to peel and candy to satisfy my long drought from any sweets other than homemade baked goods with cane sugar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 1:04 AM

Mercy. Christmas is a persistent thing. Just when you think you can buy a few presents and laugh it off as a tiresome but necessary passage of time, you get a bit of the timeless and eternal thrown back in your face. And gosh, you have to end up thinking about things.

Merry Christmas. Think about things.

Dec 16, 2018, 8:20 AM

This brought tears to y eyes. I so enjoy your stories, Joe. I hope you have a blessed Christmas.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic