Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Chad's lockdown of the Book of Plays
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

The Chad's lockdown of the Book of Plays

Nov 10, 2014, 5:24 PM

So I see the article today about how Chad plans to open up the playbook against Ga Tech now that Watson is back. Did this pi$$ anyone else off? Ok so Stoudt isn't as athletic as Watson...fine...made some mistakes that a 5th year shouldn't probablly make?....yes....but he's a 5th year senior, he's been around long enough and knows the plays, and he was originally a QB trained to be a drop back QB. Why did the Chad completely shut his playbook and revert to default mode with roughly the same 3-4 plays over and over. And I'm not looking for the typical sarcastic T-net one-sided go home coot response (even though I know I'll get it).

I'm a fan of Watson. And he is fun to watch....but in the down time when he was out, why not tailor the playbook a bit to the style that Stoudt would mesh better with....rather than just lock it up and stuff it in the drawer. Peyton Manning style maybe? Hit me with the corrections b/c half of Tnet is sitting in front of their screen waiting for someone to gramatically scold.

Regardless, why close up the play book completely just b/c your backup QB is not a running style QB. I understand everyone looking to Watson as the savior, but geez I feel like during his downtime, we didn't see a true evaluation of Stoudt's ability due to a limited playbook that gave him nothing to work with.

Discuss.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Chad's lockdown of the Book of Plays

Nov 10, 2014, 5:26 PM

Probably because the long ball was taken away for the most part due to the separated shoulder some people seem to keep paying no attention to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Nov 10, 2014, 7:47 PM

The separated shoulder on Stoudt's non-throwing arm?

Nov 10, 2014, 10:46 PM

You seem to think that pain only affects the specific area of the injury. Did you see Alabama's Yeldon fumble this past weekend? He got tackled by his ankle, but the injury to that ankle most likely caused the ensuring fumble.

Did you see the Mississippi guy (Treadwell) fumble at the end of their game against Auburn? The injury on the play almost certainly caused his fumble.

The point is that injuries & pain do not just affect the specific area of the injury. There is a good bit more involved.

You would think that you would not even have to post

Nov 10, 2014, 11:24 PM

that last paragraph for people. Wow!

Yes...

Nov 11, 2014, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: The Chad's lockdown of the Book of Plays ]

I like how you're insinuating that shouldn't affect throwing a football more than 30yds too...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Nov 10, 2014, 5:28 PM

Perhaps I read Chads comment the wrong way. I thought that he was saying that Watsons injury forced him to change things for Cole. Like fewer downfield throws etc.

I'm still trying to figure out who is the 5th year senior Qb

Nov 10, 2014, 5:29 PM

on the roster, funny I can't seem to find one.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The only answer would be his injury.

Nov 10, 2014, 5:31 PM

But if not, how did he earn the start against GA and FLst?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Stoudt's shoulder played a role as well

Nov 10, 2014, 5:31 PM

If Chad wasn't confident Cole could run the system, then I'm glad he didn't try it. We've seen what happens when Chad calls plays scared. Not good.

Agree - see Chad as stubborn, inflexible as far as Cole is

Nov 10, 2014, 5:32 PM

concerned. There should have been more plays that suited Cole as a pro-style qb. Under center qb sneaks esp. in red zone. Did one shotgun play work short yardage in redzone? Yet at our own goal line, it worked well. On the other hand, I hope Watson plays lights out and we become high scoring exciting again and he stays healthy while sliding more! GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree - see Chad as stubborn, inflexible as far as Cole is

Nov 10, 2014, 7:31 PM

I wonder about this myself. In his 3 years behind Tajh did they not hypothesize situations in which they would have to use Cole and therefore develop some plays that worked for his style of QBing? Just curious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just impressed

Nov 10, 2014, 5:42 PM

That a guy who came to Clemson as a freshman in 2011 is a fifth year senior.

He gained a year in the system somehow.

That said, why is this so hard to understand.

1) Much of the motion oriented offense which has calls for the QB to read/keep was removed out of the playbook when Cole came in for he injured Watson because he's not as mobile, he's injured, AND we were down a QB in the rotation.

2) Cole is injured. He may well know the plays and the reads, but that doesn't mean he could run them effectively.

3) For the most part I think Chad's offensive gameplan became conservative as a way to manage games with a (for his system) sub-par QB.

And, that worked for the most part as we won the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm just impressed

Nov 10, 2014, 8:16 PM

Tiger_thom, remember, this is the same Stoudt that was given the starting job against Georgia because, as the coaches said, "gives us the best chance to win." Did Morris restrict the play book at that time? The answer is NO. I understand that physically Stoudt was injured in recent games but we still could have been more varied in our play calling.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go home coot.

Nov 10, 2014, 5:45 PM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did it for lots of reasons.

Nov 10, 2014, 6:45 PM

1st and most importantly to win, without to many turnovers we could win all our games with defense until Watson got nack. 2nd he's not very good at throwing the deep crossing routes he just doesn't have the arm and he holds the ball too long. 3rd He can't run the bootleg pass he's too slow, he's cost us two touchdowns on the play one last week once against FSU. Watson gets outside the DE and has an easy throw Cole doesn't. We ran the delay drag to the TE with bootleg action 3 or 4 times with Watson and it gained about 10 yards a clip with Cole it was a bust. Bottom line he's here to win games not put up stats, wins are all that matters.

Re: He did it for lots of reasons.

Nov 10, 2014, 10:39 PM

"...he's cost us two touchdowns on the play one last week once against FSU."

Sorry? What did you just say? I think I get it - Cole missed the same throw to Leggit in two games. Both would have been TDs if thrown well. Both were thrown poorly & resulted in incompletions & cost us TDs. If that's what you meant, then I understand & agree with that specific observation.

"Bottom line he's here to win games not put up stats, wins are all that matters."

And what happened after DW went out with the injury? Oh yeah - all wins, no losses.

Nov 10, 2014, 6:51 PM

I think it has more to do with Cole's ability to read the D and also his injury.

Message was edited by: elwyn07®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Book of Plays is coach speak.

Nov 10, 2014, 6:54 PM

Even with Tahj last year he didn't open it up all the way.
He jumped on stoudt about looking off receivers after the wake interception.
No doubt the left shoulder is in pain.
I wonder if Johnson will encourage his defense to go after Watson's hand?

Re: Book of Plays is coach speak.

Nov 10, 2014, 7:09 PM

5th year I wished akk these DUMBA$$ could learn to read! Like listening to ESPN pi$$ed me off every time they said that. SumBeaches more nerve racking than playing cards with my brothers kids!!!!!!!!!

Re: Uncle BigDin

Nov 11, 2014, 7:31 AM

I don't want to play cards.
Scary.

Nov 10, 2014, 9:41 PM

I'm clearly late to the party, but I agree with Tiger Thom....everyone is overlooking the fact that he gained a fifth year within his four years here. Sure his deep ball lacks zip and accuracy, but his ownership over time an space can't be overlooked. Not even by half the guys on Wccp who can't help calling Cole a fifth yr. at.

Idk if you were watching but Cole couldn't make the throws

Nov 10, 2014, 10:32 PM

passes over 15 yds he continually starred down receivers and missed throws, especially long ball.
He had to tone down those plays.

Saving the great plays for GT and U$uC.***

Nov 10, 2014, 10:38 PM

Play calling has not been great....and I've been hard on

Nov 10, 2014, 10:54 PM

The chad! But once I remove game day emotions, I have to realize we have an immobile injured QB, a banged up makeshift OL, no running game, but one helluva D. So, although I am an all American armchair QB, 4-0 w/ the aforementioned limitations ain't all bad! And chad has probably done a better job than I would have.

WE WON THE GAMES!!***

Nov 10, 2014, 11:28 PM

Nov 11, 2014, 12:20 AM

I will preface this by saying I like our coaches. That said, I take what they say and what all coaches say with a grain of salt. Is Chad trying to make GT think they are going to see new stuff? Is Chad feeling like he needs to make excuses for how bad the offense had been lately? Who knows.

uhm....because concurrent to the Watson injury, the OL got

Nov 11, 2014, 6:26 AM

taken down to 4 guys and a converted LB?

Re: uhm....because concurrent to the Watson injury, the OL got

Nov 11, 2014, 6:54 AM

I agree. The Oline is a big part of the team. Don't they need to make their reads and know who to block? Maybe Morris with a hurt QB and cobbled together line did what he thought best.

Guess what it worked.

Honest question though...it's more on Stoudt than Chad

Nov 11, 2014, 7:42 AM

I don't know if I would try Stoudt throwing more than 20 yards down field either. We don't really have a good run blocking line so what do you do?

I think Chad's done what he can with who we have. Now, the shotgun formations on the one inch line are frustrating but a QB who can't look off a defender in 4 years is even more so. I guess his sore shoulder effects his vision...who knew?

There are those on TNet who are afraid to admit that CS is probably the least talented QB we have had at Clemson in the last 10 years and is at the heart of our offensive problems. Its nothing personal against him, hell, I don't have the talent either. He is lucky enough to have had the opportunity. It doesn't change the fact that he's just not that good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic